showin some leg

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

showin some leg

Postby Dogsled » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:59 am

After new front brakes and front end cleanup i decided to leave those chrome rotor covers off. It gives it more of the motorcycle look I like. I don't mind plastic in critical places but a litlle machine showing is nice too.
Attachments

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: showin some leg

Postby cbx4evr » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:33 am

I just had the same thoughts having just done my forks, brakes and polishing the front wheel.

When I looked at the rotor covers and saw some of the road hazards they were absorbing I decided to put them back on.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:24 am

I don't know, I never noticed any damage worth mentioning on any other bikes I have or had. I don't know, I just get tired of looking at all that plastic. The PO must have had stock in a chrome factory, I ripped 80% off because it made the bike look like a pimp mobile or something. The plastic around the engine is great for heat deflection and i'm not complaining about it all. Damn, just show me a little bike everynow and then :lol:
My bikes a 97, I sure ain't worried about a few dings here and there.

sandy
Motorcycle: 2004 gl1800 A4 trike

Postby sandy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:34 pm

looks very smart all polished up, my front wheel needs refurb just mite leave the covers off now

sandy
one life live it!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:58 am

I have contemplated going naked but I would have to remove the cover brackets and the chrome trim on the rear of the fender looks unfinished.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:01 am

Yeah the cover bracket on the speedo side has a keeper for cable to (I assume) keep it away from the rotor. As far as the chrome piece going around the back of the fender that gave the completion look. It figured I would get this idea once I put the front wheel all together and installed and realized the screws to take of the strip are on the inside of the fender. So I guess it'll just stay like that til I have to take the wheel off again. The weird thing I thought of is that chrome fender trim is hollow and I thought 'What if it whistles' from the air going through it. It only takes a few minutes to re-install the chrome and I really like the look this way so I'll keep it for now. I like the cleaned machine parts look alot nicer than the cheap plastic add on stuff. Everyone has different tastes, I guess that's what makes our bike personnal.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:32 pm

No whistle! Air will meet in the middle and won't flow through. lol
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks, i'm in good shape then.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”