front wheel adjustment ?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
zubby
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500
Goldwing

front wheel adjustment ?

Postby zubby » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:08 am

Reading past posts, some said that leaving the Wings up on center stand for an extended period of time without blocking the front wheel off the floor, may cause a permanent flat spot on the tire. So--- I blocked the front up off the floor. Today I walked past and gave the wheel a spin expecting it to "free wheel" like a bicycle front wheel. However, it barely rotated ( less than half a rev. with a pretty good pull )! Question--does this sound normal or should I proceed to tear the front wheel apart to check things ???

This is Zubbys lonely friend

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: front wheel adjustment ?

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:37 am

zubby wrote:Reading past posts, some said that leaving the Wings up on center stand for an extended period of time without blocking the front wheel off the floor, may cause a permanent flat spot on the tire. So--- I blocked the front up off the floor. Today I walked past and gave the wheel a spin expecting it to "free wheel" like a bicycle front wheel. However, it barely rotated ( less than half a rev. with a pretty good pull )! Question--does this sound normal or should I proceed to tear the front wheel apart to check things ???

I can see leaving the Wing on the SIDE stand, where the majority of the weight is on the tires, could cause a flat spot on the tire. However, on the center stand, almost the entire weight of the bike is on the center stand. The rear wheel is off the ground, and the front wheel has very little weight on it, comparably (if you pull the front wheel, you can actually get it to skid on the ground while it's on the center stand).

As for a non-freewheeling front wheel, it can be caused by one of two things: dragging brakes, or bad bearings. The easiest way to find out which is to pull the brake calipers off, and see if the wheel spins. If so, it's the brakes.

If the brakes ARE dragging, you can usually hear the pads against the rotors as you spin it.

zubby
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500
Goldwing

Re: front wheel adjustment ?

Postby zubby » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks for the response--I didn't think there would be enough weight to put a spot on the tire, but, what do I know---I'm a newbie ! I'm learning a lot on this fantastic forum---thanks to u people. I'll be checking the pads and bearings tomorrow. It will be a welcome break from working on my GMC !!! ( junk GMC )( Thanks Wing-Admin---sounds as if u have been working on Goldwings for years ) !!
This is Zubbys lonely friend

Return to “Goldwing Chat”