handlebars

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mottly
Motorcycle: 1884 GL 1200 A

handlebars

Postby mottly » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:27 pm

Here is one that I didn't see coming. I have an 84 GL1200A, got it used and the handlebar is a bit bent.
It's just enough to be annoying. So, since the dealer says no longer available, I found several used bars on Ebay. One said, "heavy duty welded bar" . Here is the best part. I have a friend with an 84 interstate that has this same bar. Sat on his, liked the width and the pullback. So, when the bar arrives from UPS, I go to install it and low and behold, it's a one inch bar tapered down to 7/8 at the ends where my bar is all 7/8". Now, most of you probably say, "so what's the problem? "just return the dumb thing and get the right part." Problem is, I like the width and the pullback is comfortable which is why I got it in the first place. So, does anyone know of a way to adapt the one inch bar to my bike. Replace the top triple clamp with one that fits the bar? Since the dealer says all the 84 and 85 Goldwing models have the same part number, I am now left to assume my friends 84 must be a late production 83 or something since that part number is different. And, would the 83 top part of the triple clamp fit my 84? This seems like a lot to go through for a handlebar but I am looking for comfort. Anybody have any clues on how to make this work? Or not? LOL.
Thanks everyone.

lonelyrivers
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Re: handlebars

Postby lonelyrivers » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:37 pm

an easy (if incorrect) fix would be to take 1in pipe 1/8 in thich cut it to length then split it longways wrap it around your new bars where they clamp to the triple tree

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:53 pm

lonelyrivers wrote:an easy (if incorrect) fix would be to take 1in pipe 1/8 in thich cut it to length then split it longways wrap it around your new bars where they clamp to the triple tree

No, you have it backward - his triple tree expects a 7/8" bar, and he has a 1" bar that he wants to fit in there.

I don't know that I'd go trying to replace a triple tree head with some custom piece. I'd probably take the 1" bar to a metal shop and have them bend a 7/8" bar to match it, then have it chromed and use that instead.

lonelyrivers
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Postby lonelyrivers » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:03 pm

oh yeah after rereading it i see my error lol

mottly
Motorcycle: 1884 GL 1200 A

Postby mottly » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:25 am

WingAdmin wrote:
lonelyrivers wrote:an easy (if incorrect) fix would be to take 1in pipe 1/8 in thich cut it to length then split it longways wrap it around your new bars where they clamp to the triple tree

No, you have it backward - his triple tree expects a 7/8" bar, and he has a 1" bar that he wants to fit in there.

I don't know that I'd go trying to replace a triple tree head with some custom piece. I'd probably take the 1" bar to a metal shop and have them bend a 7/8" bar to match it, then have it chromed and use that instead.

Thanks for that thought. Now I wonder if I could get a stock 7/8 bar and have a shop cold bend it to match the other bar. Good suggestion. Might screw up the chrome. Food for thought. I like your idea.

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:12 am

JP cycles catalog has bars in it. Have you tried them? :?:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”