CB info

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

CB info

Postby Dogsled » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:31 pm

I'm not to familiar with the use of CB's including using the one on my wing. I have several questions that can clear things up for me.
Does a mic have to be plugged in for the CB to recieve.
I don't know what channel truckers use, thought it was 19, but not sure. Had it on 19 w/o a mic and no communication was heard.
If two bikes are sitting next to each other, could that be too close for the radios to communicate on say channel 1.
Used it once or twice last year, it worked fine. I had it out over the winter and now just started to mess with it and don't know how to tell if its transmitting w/o another CB being there. Is there a way to test it? I have no reason to think it's broken other than not plugged in well. I sprayed all the connections with cleaner and blew them dry before re-assembling.
I just hate to hit on an opportunity to use it and find out it actually isn't working, that would suck.
What is the purpose of all the other channels anyway?

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: CB info

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:53 am

Dogsled wrote:I'm not to familiar with the use of CB's including using the one on my wing. I have several questions that can clear things up for me.
Does a mic have to be plugged in for the CB to recieve.
NO but you do have to have the CB set on speakers, rather than on headset. Speaking of "mic". Microphones are no longer offered as you would have to remove a hand from the bars in order to transmit. Most everyone now use "headsets" that mount in their helmets.
I don't know what channel truckers use, thought it was 19, but not sure. Had it on 19 w/o a mic and no communication was heard.
Channel 19 is the most common channel for everyone in cages and trucks, nationwide
If two bikes are sitting next to each other, could that be too close for the radios to communicate on say channel 1.
Yes, to close and the modulation(words) will most likely be garbled or you may even get feedback squeal.
Used it once or twice last year, it worked fine. I had it out over the winter and now just started to mess with it and don't know how to tell if its transmitting w/o another CB being there. Is there a way to test it?
Yes, using a SWR(Standing Wave Meter) set on field strength
I have no reason to think it's broken other than not plugged in well. I sprayed all the connections with cleaner and blew them dry before re-assembling.
I just hate to hit on an opportunity to use it and find out it actually isn't working, that would suck.
What is the purpose of all the other channels anyway?

All the other channels are there for use when the most used channel has to much "traffic" on it and you want to have a conversation with just certain "others". Channel 9 is the emergency channel and it is illegal to use it for any other reason. There used to be CB Clubs and Police Departments that monitored 9 listening for emergency traffic especially near interstates-not so much anymore. A lot of bikers use channel 1 as their main channel.
I listen to 19 when on the road solo. I will not expose my wife to the type of filth that can be heard on 19 when she is with me. I always use channel 1 when leading (Past Road Captain for my CMA chapter) a group ride.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:35 am

Ddawg,
Thanks that answers about it all....I call a headset a mic, but i do have headsets.

'Yes, using a SWR(Standing Wave Meter) set on field strength' where would I find one of those to test it?

Damn, I might have been on headset now that you mention it, the one day I was on the freeway. Maybe it was just a slow CB day and I missed any radio traffic. I had on the CB on the trucker channel a few years back (when I actually found it) saved me a speeding ticket...but most of the time I couldn't understand what the heck they were saying, let alone if they were swearing.. :D
I've used channel 1 with other bikes cause that's where they said to go.
good to know about the (9) emergency channel.
Thanks for all that info.....(google SWM !!!!, next mission :-)

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:58 am

Dogsled wrote:Ddawg,
Thanks that answers about it all....I call a headset a mic, but i do have headsets.

'Yes, using a SWR(Standing Wave Meter) set on field strength' where would I find one of those to test it?

Damn, I might have been on headset now that you mention it, the one day I was on the freeway. Maybe it was just a slow CB day and I missed any radio traffic. I had on the CB on the trucker channel a few years back (when I actually found it) saved me a speeding ticket...but most of the time I couldn't understand what the heck they were saying, let alone if they were swearing.. :D
I've used channel 1 with other bikes cause that's where they said to go.
good to know about the (9) emergency channel.
Thanks for all that info.....(google SWM !!!!, next mission :-)

Cbs are almost useless unless you are riding with a group. Even truckers don't use their cbs much any more. They don't have time as it will interrupt their phone call. Here and further south what you hear is mostly in Spanish anyway.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:09 am

[quote="Dogsled"]Ddawg,

'Yes, using a SWR(Standing Wave Meter) set on field strength' where would I find one of those to test it? [quote]
There is one good source from one of the best members of this board :mrgreen: :roll: ME :lol:
PM me w/your name/address and I will send mine to you. It is complete w/instructions and has the proper "jumpers" to mate to the Wing's CB antenna connections, under the seat of course! All I ask is reimbursement of the cost to send it to you and a timely return of it to me. It has made several trips around the country thus far :!:
My suggestions:
1. Check and tune the SWR on the main channel you intend to use to Tx(transmit on)
2. Set the bike away from trees and buildings when turning the antenna.
3. Knell down beside the bike when you do the SWR checks, so you body does not influence the readings.
Additional info
You will recieve(Rx) from much further distances than you can transmit(Tx).
Depending on the time of day/evening/night and depending on sun spot activity, you should be able to communnicate up to 4 miles very easily w/another bike(that is properly tuned also). Slightly farther to cages and trucks. Even farther to good base units.

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:29 am

dingdong wrote:Cbs are almost useless unless you are riding with a group. Even truckers don't use their cbs much any more. They don't have time as it will interrupt their phone call. Here and further south what you hear is mostly in Spanish anyway.

I have not found that to be the case in my area of travels! While there is not as much "radio traffic" as when the CB was in it's "Hay Days", I still listen to a lot of "chats" on 19 as I ride around. A lot of the bad language has tamed down also. But, once in a while some idiot will turn the waves blue, which is why I do not monitor 19 if my wife is with me.
I agree they are especially useful for group riding, ie one for the road captain and one for the tail gunner. There can also be to much chatter going on in a group for the RC and the Tailgunner to do needed transfers of information!

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:30 am

Not sure if you got all the answers to your questions ?
"Does the mic have to be plugged in too receive. Answer is NO. Unless one has a CB that has a mic and speaker combination. As to find a SWR meter , try (Radio Shack ) or a Amateur radio store.Or even E-Bay used.
One little handy meter called a ( field strength meter ) very cheap... will read your RF and tell you if you
are transmitting.Number of meter is MFJ-801 and it is a very small meter that will fit in your pocket.

WA9FWT Phil

glassbebo
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Postby glassbebo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:42 am

Where can I find the adapters?

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:54 am

glassbebo wrote:Where can I find the adapters?

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-SWR12

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks Dawg,
If all else fails i'll get in touch with you, Indy ain't that far from me, maybe we can get together instead.
It's still a little cold to be tearing stuff apart after doing all the other work this winter in the cold.
I found the CB useful once I figured out they were giving the milemarkers where the cops were hiding. But it is true they are most useful bike to bike. You must speak cb lingo cause I sure couldn't tell when they were swearing or just talking plain. Language eemed pretty tame over-all and un-entertaining.
let me look up this 'field strength meter'....

I remember when Radio Shack had books on making little electronic stuff like this. I loved doing that when I was a kid. I'd unsolder resistors and capacitors on old electronic stuff, catagorized them and hope to save a quarter building the next project.

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Here's one of the many, many web sights discussing GoldWing antenna tuning
http://www.angelfire.com/ok4/wingman26/swr.html

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:51 pm

You would only have to tune it the first time you installed it.....right? have to get some time and read your website.

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:04 pm

Yes, one tuning is all that is needed for years of use.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:08 pm

tfdeputydawg wrote:Yes, one tuning is all that is needed for years of use.

Unless...you add/remove something metallic (i.e. trunk rack) in the vicinity of the antenna. Those items can couple to the antenna and alter the SWR, so when you make a change like that, it's a good idea to re-tune the antenna.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:19 pm

well I haven't changed anything that would affect the antenna. I'll get out tonight and try to contact someone on the freeway, may double check all the helmet connections too. I learned alot about CB's though. Funny how something that was so big years back is going to the wayside with cell phones.

Bogator
Motorcycle: 1998 valkyrie

Postby Bogator » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:49 pm

I'm a retired trucker and I still use a cb in all my pickup truck, valkyrie, dodge --I even got 2 in the house for shootin skip--got a kicker on both--I still like to keep up with what is going on. :)
GOD BLESS

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:58 am

They must be really rarley used. I rode for 1/2 an hour before I got a response to a radio check request. I thought I was broken for sure when I passed a state trooper sitting in a turnaround and no one was warning others about the mile markerhe was at. I kept asking and when someone finally responded I was shocked and couldn't think of anything to say but thanks. Another problem bites the dust!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”