ABATE or not to ABATE

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
moorew
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

ABATE or not to ABATE

Postby moorew » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:16 pm

My oldest boy and I have signed up for the beginning class. He has never ridden and is taking the ABATE Beginner Class for his MC license endorsement. I told him I would like to take the class with him because I might learn something, too. I already have my MC endorsement because I used to ride, but it has been 35 or 40 years ago. I bought a used '83 Aspencade last fall and am enjoying riding again but it is a bigger bike than the Honda 350 Twins and 500 Fours that I had back then.

I would like to know how many have been through the ABATE class/classes and your impressions. Are the Advanced Rider classes worth the modest cost and time?

Bill
Noblesville, IN

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: ABATE or not to ABATE

Postby virgilmobile » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Take the class.There's always room for learning to being able control your bike with confidence,I've had an endorsement for 35 years,thought I could handle anything...NOT.....Going down the road doesn't take much.Being able to control it in a panic was a different story.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:44 pm

I took the California Motorcycle Course....beginning....and advanced....many moons ago. I have been riding for almost 30 years (that sounds so long!!) and I learned a lot on the advanced. I also still take my bike out and practice my slow rolls and turns, lock up the tires every once in a while in gravel, and just keep the skills as sharp as possible. I would always agree to more practice, formal or otherwise.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:13 pm

When I lived in New Mexico, I needed access to Kirkland AFB in Albuquerque, and so had to take the courses in order to enter the base on my motorcycle. I never would have taken the courses otherwise, having been riding for so many years and thinking that I did not need the courses to be a good rider. My bad. The courses were very beneficial, and I have since, about every five years, taken the advanced riders course over again if given the opportunity. My last time was three years ago, and I learned, or at least relearned things I had forgotten. I also do parking lot practice with my motorcycles. I have had motorcycle accidents, but thankfully, they have always been the result of cars hitting me, and not my fault. I have no wish to have any due to my own lack of diligence. So, I agree.. If possible, take courses. Even if one is so good that one learns nothing, at least one obtains that awareness (but I doubt it will happen that way) :lol: :lol: :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:23 am

I agree. I take the MSF ERC (experienced rider course) every couple of years, and never fail to come away with something useful - and I've been riding for 26 years. I took it last year, but I'm taking it again in a month or so, because a) I have a new bike to ride in it, and b) my wife is taking it as well.

moorew

Postby moorew » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I always am always up for learning something new. The GW is a much bigger and heavier bike than old CB 350s and CB550 I had back then so it intimidates me in tight, close areas. I'm hoping to learn and become more comfortable with it. So It's back to school again! :) :)

Bill
Noblesville, IN

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:00 pm

Hate to say it, Bill. The only way you are going to get used to the tight spots is to put the bike there. The advantage you have.....reverse gear.

I remember the first time I rode a tourer, it was a Yamaha Venture (top heavy but not total heavy like the wing), I can say that the wing is still a lot easier to move around due to low center weight, it is really nicely balanced.....and remember, when you are going 80 mph, it does not feel like it ;)

Have fun!!!

Mag

moorew

Postby moorew » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:58 pm

I'm going to kick this back up again to say I just completed the Beginner Rider Class last night. Unfortunately, my son could not attend but I had paid for the class so I took it anyway - (cause I'm CHEAP!) :o

Boy, did I get taken down a peg !! :oops: :oops: Like I said originally, I had several cycles 35 or 40 years ago and have had my MC Endorsement since it's requirement in Indiana so I thought this class would be pretty simple. I didn't realize what I didn't know or what I was doing wrong/incorrectly. The class was a blast and all the instructor/coaches were excellent. All in the class, beginners and those of us with experience, came away with the confidence and ability to handle the bike safely.

I got the 'Wing out this morning and it was amazing the increase in confidence and enjoyment. I'm still not quite ready to try a U-Turn inside a 25ft box on a Gold Wing but knowing you are more skilled to handle a critical situation and more importantly, have the knowledge to avoid a critical situation sure makes riding more fun. I would highly recommend every rider attend these or advanced classes no matter how skilled you think you are. You are never too old or too skilled to learn something new. :idea:

Bill
Noblesville, IN

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, and more importantly got something out of it. I hope your son will be able to take it soon.

Gary

Return to “Goldwing Chat”