Jim Walkers of Daytona Florida

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Poohman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Apsencade
1998 GL1500 SE

Jim Walkers of Daytona Florida

Postby Poohman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:43 am

Does anyone know (Jim Walkers Motorcycle Shop of Daytona)? I have taken my 85 GL1200 there March 7th and Still have not gotten it back yet. I Understood that the following week was Bike Week and no one would work on it. I was fine wit thaht Just it is going on 3 - 1/2 wks now and and I have had to call them for any type of information. I called them last week 3/29/12 and they said that they were looking at the carbs & someone wold call me. It has been a week now and no-one has called. I had to call them and they had told me that they were still backed up with bikes that had been there since Mid Feb. Well are they working on my WIng or what? I am ready to get a trailer and go get it. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for a Suppose to be a great Bike Shop? I could really use some good Advise. Thanks

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: Jim Walkers of Daytona Florida

Postby trike lady » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:54 am

That's one of the shops I'd keep my Wing out of. Most shops don't understand modern Goldwings let alone Classic Wings. If the shop was that good, they wouldn't be posting ads on Craigslist under the heading 'Cycles'. They install the Voyager units, cannot wait to hear about how many of those things will be installed improperly.
I would have suggested a shop on International Speedway Drive with a Goldwing Tech and comes highly recommended. Members of the local GWRRA chapter use this shop.
They obviously do not have people who understand the Goldwing and kept pushing it back until they had time to work on it or bring someone in to work on it.
Call this shop 386-310-7884 All Out Powersports ask for Brandon Clark
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:36 pm

Trike lady is right, I sure wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Even when they were a Honda dealer their prices were high, and they never really acted like they cared about the business one way or the other. The last time I stopped there to get a quart of oil they informed me that they did not carry any GN4, or for that matter any Honda stuff anymore. I haven't been back since, but it doesn't sound like they have changed much. Let us know how you make out though. :(
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

Poohman
1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Poohman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:02 pm

Well, Called Jim Walker this morning. The Gentleman that I talked to said that he was just hired to replace the Head Service Man. Well, I informed him that If I did not get a call about my Wing in a couple of days that I was coming to pick it up. He reasurred me that it would be looked at with in a week and that He would cut the price down. He said that they would come in on Easter Sunday and start working on a bike or two. Well, I am going to call on Tuesday, and if it is not being worked on or done I am off with a trailer and getting my WIng.

86GW1200
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Postby 86GW1200 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:16 pm

I know a guy in Melbourne. It is a bit north of me and a bit south of you. If you want his info - I'll look it up for you. Good luck. It is hard finding someone to work on these old things. Luckily I do most of my own work. I found this guy by asking around. I needed two gaskets to get my carbs back together. He had them in stock....fair prices. He works out of a small shop - surrounded by wings and such.

trike lady

Postby trike lady » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Any news about your Wing yet?

Poohman
1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Poohman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:48 am

Yep after going to Jim Walkers on Friday 4-13-12. I found out that the Wing had not been touched. I went to Jim Walker himself and conveyed my discused with the service dept. He agreed and had his manager go out and get my Wing up on the lift and fixed ASAP. Well they called me about 2 pm and said it was the coils and are going to order them and get it running. I was told the coils are 120 a pieces and they were going to put new wires and boots on also. I gave the OK and when I go to pick it up, I should not be charged any labor. I will let you know more This friday.

trike lady

Postby trike lady » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Any progress on your Wing?

Poohman
1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Poohman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Yes I guess I was told that it was the coils and that they were going to order them on 4-13. I called this friday
(4-20-12) and was told that the coils had not come in yet, so when I call this tuesday or Wed. and the wing is not fixed yet then I am pulling the bike out and going to make sure everyone I know or don't know. Know's that Jim Walkers is not a good place to take anything to get fixed even if it is an Oil change. This is now going on 7 weeks and if they did get the coils in and fix it by Wed. then the Price better be half of what they would normally charge.. I feel that would be fair enough. What do you think. The Coils are 120 a pieces and i said to replace both so that once i get it back the other does not go. So the price I pay for parts should be at least 20 % disount and Labor should almost be free.

trike lady

Postby trike lady » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:09 am

They need to give you a big discount on the job to save their reputation.
They should have been honest and told you that they don't work on bikes over 10 years old.
That's sad to hold someone's bike for 7 weeks and just leave it in the corner and no decency to contact you. They should have been honest and told you they don't have anyone experienced with older bikes
You've been pretty generous with them and putting up with their excuses.
You are 100% correct to tell others about how you were treated by them.
They need to be reported to the BBB.

Poohman
1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Poohman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:48 pm

After complaining about them wanting me to pay full price on parts and labor I had a cow and told them to cut the labor price by 1/2. Ok here is my situation. I took my goldwing 1200 aspencade to what I was told a really good Bike Shop (Jim Walkers of Daytona Beach). Well I took it in on March 7th which was the wednesday before Bike week and Knowing that it was not going to be looked at until the week after bike week. Well I just finally got it back today April 27th and was told the the only problem was one of the coils were bad and before they looked at the bike they said that were going to look at the carbs. Well after weeks went by and i had no call on my wing. I went in and they said they had not looked at it and then I talked to Jim Walker himself and told him my problem and fustration with His shop. He replied that this was not acceptable to him. Well then that is when they found out the coil was bad and took 1 1/2 weeks to get 2 coils and fix the Wing. Well, I went today to pick it up and ride it home 26 mile to Home and BOY did the bike run like crap. It was worse then when I took it to them which was only running on 2 back cyclinders. by the time I got half way home it was back firing at 10, 20, 30, 40+ miles per hour, and it was smoking and smelled like burt wiring.

I called them when I got home and told them I was not happy at all and i wanted them to come fix the bike and this time for free. They said they will come and pick it up but they only test drove it only a block. Well I could only go 70 mph in 5th gear (OD) and was at full throttle. Man am i really MAD! Please need some advise.

trike lady

Postby trike lady » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Register a complaint with the BBB and contact channel 9 news consumer affairs reporter.
I wonder if they really did anything on your bike?
Did they give you back the old parts?
Runs worse then when you brought it in? Doesn't sound like they did much of anything.
Poorly trained techs.
Not a very honest shop.
That's why they advertise on Craigslist.
Call this shop 386-310-7884 All Out Powersports ask for Brandon Clark. The local GWRRA chapter told me about him if I had to have work done on mine.

86GW1200
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Postby 86GW1200 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:07 pm

I know it is a bit of travel for you - but Al & L in Melbourne 321-724-8145 is a small shop that is all about Goldwings. Fair prices and the work is done when they say it will be done.

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:57 am

Poohman wrote:After complaining about them wanting me to pay full price on parts and labor I had a cow and told them to cut the labor price by 1/2. Ok here is my situation. I took my goldwing 1200 aspencade to what I was told a really good Bike Shop (Jim Walkers of Daytona Beach). Well I took it in on March 7th which was the wednesday before Bike week and Knowing that it was not going to be looked at until the week after bike week. Well I just finally got it back today April 27th and was told the the only problem was one of the coils were bad and before they looked at the bike they said that were going to look at the carbs. Well after weeks went by and i had no call on my wing. I went in and they said they had not looked at it and then I talked to Jim Walker himself and told him my problem and fustration with His shop. He replied that this was not acceptable to him. Well then that is when they found out the coil was bad and took 1 1/2 weeks to get 2 coils and fix the Wing. Well, I went today to pick it up and ride it home 26 mile to Home and BOY did the bike run like crap. It was worse then when I took it to them which was only running on 2 back cyclinders. by the time I got half way home it was back firing at 10, 20, 30, 40+ miles per hour, and it was smoking and smelled like burt wiring.

I called them when I got home and told them I was not happy at all and i wanted them to come fix the bike and this time for free. They said they will come and pick it up but they only test drove it only a block. Well I could only go 70 mph in 5th gear (OD) and was at full throttle. Man am i really MAD! Please need some advise.

Man sounds like they really stuck it to you. :twisted: I don't know if you have any contacts in the legal community, but if so contact them for their advice, before you spend more money on the problem. Once somebody else touches it, it is no longer Jim Walker's problem. They will claim the new shop caused the problem. Also contact the state of Florida department of consumer affairs, and file a complaint against them. The BBB is a paper tiger. They have no leverage other than to contact the shop and inform them that you are not happy with them. I suspect they are probably not even a member. I had a problem once with one of the biggest automobile dealers in Daytona of which the owner is the mayor of Daytona. Come to find out they do not belong to the BBB either. I think though that if you have your contacts documented with times, and dates that like Trike Lady says the media is another good option. At any rate good luck with what has to be a very frustrating situation. :( :(
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

trike lady

Postby trike lady » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:17 pm

crock4
It's a sad situation and you are correct about not letting someone else touch it as that will take Jim Walker off the hook. It's excellent advice and I know he has got to be frustrated. You are correct about filing complaints with the state.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”