Got a Question. Don't Shoot Me

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
speedy1
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing SE, 2004 Goldwing 1800, 2007 Honda Aero 750

Got a Question. Don't Shoot Me

Postby speedy1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:47 am

Has anyone seen any of those disable tags( parking ) that you can get to go on cars, on motorcycles before. I saw my first one the other day. I'm not making any kind of judgement on this, it just got me thinking on how many might be out there.

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Re: Got a Question. Don't Shoot Me

Postby Sally » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:53 am

I think their great for people that really need them.Not the lazy welfare rats that don't work and lives off me.I beleive strongly in taking care of the older people and vets. But our system is broken. I know that when I get there.There won't be any help just take a look at most not all of the young people around.MAN I'm WORRIED... Sally

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Just because you ride a motorcycle doesn't necessarily mean you can't have a disability - and not all disabilities are plainly visible. Someone may have a heart problem that limits how far they can walk, but they're (mostly) fine to ride a motorcycle. I know even if I had physical problems, I'd do my best to try to keep riding if I could.

speedy1

Postby speedy1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Yes I understand they're a lot of conditions out there that do limit people. Nothing wrong with it at all, it just struck me as being something I didn't expect to see on a bike. My wife has one on her car because after 4 back surgeries and spinal fussion it is hard for her to walk far.

Al Waters
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Gold Wing

Postby Al Waters » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:50 pm

This is an interesting subject. My wife is disabled to the point where she has a blue placard (California) that she would hang from the rear view mirror of her car when parked, but not a disabled persons license plate. Her car was recently totaled. She uses my truck and in the glove box is a letter of authorization that allows my truck to display the blue DP placard when she or we (not I) are using the truck.
Recently, she decided that she would give riding with me a try on my Gold Wing. We practiced for probably 30 minutes in the garage on how we would get on and off the bike. We have done two short rides. She likes it very much and I like her going because for the first time in months, I got her out of the recliner and outside for some fresh air. It was just the other day that I was wondering if a bike could have a DP notification for a passenger. If I displayed the blue placard, I know somebody would steal it for sure. Currently, I strap a walking cane to the tail trunk for her and park in standard parking places but that extra walking she does takes its toll.
I tried locating some information on the California DMV web site but have had no luck. I guess that I will call them next week.

Al Waters

speedy1

Postby speedy1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:20 am

I'm glad she's able to ride with you. My wife can't get on the wing to ride and the bad thing is she loves to ride. I would check on the placard to see if you can get one. The license plate would be better. In alabama to get the tag, the vehicle has to be in the disabled person name I think. Hope you can get one and keep her riding..

86GW1200
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Postby 86GW1200 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Saw this for the first time today. It was a trike and a harley, but the old guy and his lady seemed to be pretty good at getting on. He had a bit of a time finding reverse, but after that they were off...of course she forgot to strap the helmet on.... :o

britman
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing and an 82 naked goldwing

Postby britman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Here in Illinois you have the choice of a placard or the vehicle tag will have a wheel chair on it . But then its only good for the vehicle its on where as the tag is good in any vehicle the disabled member is in

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:32 am

IMHO
1. Welfare has absolutely nothing to do w/having a disabled tag! One must have a form signed by a Doctor to apply for a disabled tag or placard.
2. There are many people w/disabilities that can still ride a motorcycle.
3. As noted, the disabled person is not always the operator of the vehicle.
While my wife could qualify for a disabled tag, due to complications from a stroke and a subsequent brain bleed, we have opted not to get one.
She can walk unassisted w/some balance problems so, we use a cane or we push a cart. We will leave the handicap spots for those that really need them for the time being. Since she can no longer drive, I or a friend are always w/her to assist if needed!
In the case of a motorcycle, since a placard can easily be taken, I would always opt for the disabled license plate.

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:50 am

Man I love to see people ride that you think coundn't. I was at Americade about four year ago and seen two that blow me away.I seen on guy that had lost a leg He was riding and not a trike and GL1800 had his wheel chair right on back of bike on a trailer hitch.I talked with that man for an hour you wern't stopping him THAT'S COOL. Meant another couple he made a side car with a ramp his wife could drive her wheel chair right into it by her self. All electrical operated lifts.It's very cool to see what people can make or ideals they have .Sally

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:36 pm

britman wrote:Here in Illinois you have the choice of a placard or the vehicle tag will have a wheel chair on it . But then its only good for the vehicle its on where as the tag is good in any vehicle the disabled member is in
Not only that, but even IF the person that has his/her name on the placard is with you, and say for instance you stop at the store and park in a handicap spot, IF that person does not get out of the vehicle to go into the store, then YOU have parked illegally, and could get a ticket! This is to prevent the abusers of the placard from parking in a handicap spot when the owner of the placard is just sitting in the car. My father-in-law has a placard that my wife uses in her car when she's driving him about, and we will not park illegally when we are the only ones going into the store.
On a side note, does anyone else get a tad bit annoyed at all the EMPTY handicap parking spots in front of the larger stores? There could be as many as 20+ empty handicap spots, but I was told that it has something to do with the number of spaces REQUIRED BY LAW that relates to the number of square footage of the building....anyone know what the actual ruling is?
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

britman
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing and an 82 naked goldwing

Postby britman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:41 pm

What gets me is the ive got the placard but its not mine im going to use it anyway . Ive caled the police on people like that or had people move because there not sure if im a cop . And then you go shopping and al the disabled spots are taken up by the employes which is fine if you need to use but there should be more . My wife is disabled and the other day we went to Cracker barrel and the disabled parking was off to the leftside as you look at the front and the door was all the way over on the right side why even bother

speedy1

Postby speedy1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:52 am

Steve F
Here is a little info on the amount of spaces required in parking lots. This may vary somewhat from state to state, didn't dig into it to far

Rules for handicap parking spaces dictate that there be at least one handicap space in a parking lot of 25 spaces or less. More handicap parking spaces are required as the parking lot gets bigger. For a parking lot of 100 spaces there must be at least four handicap parking spaces. For a parking lot of 500 there must be at least nine handicap parking spaces. After that it must be 2 percent of the total number of spaces.

Read more: Rules for Handicap Parking Spaces | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4617229_rules ... z1ssZ6FHus

r3baloutlaw
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby r3baloutlaw » Wed May 02, 2012 10:09 pm

After my last heart attack they found a colapsed arttery that can not be repaired because its in a spot they can not get to and i have blood clots in my lungs. Once in awhile my right leg goes out and this makes it a pain in the but when i have to stop my GL1200 Goldwing but my wife and i do not let it stop us from riding , we even go camping and pull a trailer once in awhile i might have to pick it up but like i told the wife i dont need our soloflex with this bike i am starting to get a set of arms on me and i dont care what people say about it when it falls over or make fun of me i will still ride someday i would like to save enough money to make this bike a trike But anyway be safe and dont let anything stop you from riding, my wife rides with me even with my disability she dont care how many times i might have to pick it up .

Return to “Goldwing Chat”