Fear of Dirt Roads

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
1CheeseLouise
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Fear of Dirt Roads

Postby 1CheeseLouise » Wed May 02, 2012 6:16 pm

I've been riding my Goldwing for thousands of miles (since purchase last fall) and have avoided using dirt roads. Are my fears of ill handling in the dirt justified? After all, my wing does in no way resemble a dirt bike. It just ain't no ISDT( As if anyone knows what those are) or motocross model. Who rides their wing on the dirt? Do your have any tips. Any pitfall to watch for? Are my fears unfounded?

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Fear of Dirt Roads

Postby RoadRogue » Wed May 02, 2012 8:23 pm

I have ridden my 1100 on my fair share of dirt/gravel roads, as long as you stay loose in the seat and on the bars it does quite well. If you have dirt bike experience it helps alot because you will be used to the tail end moving around a bit. Its no YZ250 but does OK 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Wed May 02, 2012 10:25 pm

I agree with Rogue (been happening more and more lately, lol). I have a very long gravel drive to my house, and the main issue I deal with is slow down and slowly control. I feel both the front and rear wheel give beneath them but once I get used to it, it is actually pretty good. Some butt clenching definitely, but I would not let it stop me at all (or I would never get outa my driveway).

dkorody
Motorcycle: 83 wing interstate

Postby dkorody » Thu May 03, 2012 12:31 am

dropping air presure in the tires help

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu May 03, 2012 6:04 am

And absolutely NO sudden front braking.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 03, 2012 9:17 am

I've had both of my Wings on gravel, dirt and grass many times. At first I was very tense, but once I realized it's just another bike, you stay loose and let the bike do what it wants (for the most part), you'll find it's more than controllable and usable off-road. I wouldn't go through ruts and rocks and things that would damage it, but it can easily handle dirt and gravel.

At first I went very slow and cautious - but I found quickly that if you take it a bit faster, it's actually more stable.

Bouvier1
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl 1800A

Postby Bouvier1 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:38 pm

I would suggest you ride normally and just keep a steady relatively slow pace. Use the foot brake only -don't forget it's linked to the front brake - therefore even braking. If you use the front brake this then makes it uneven creating slide especially if its on gravel or mud. Never worry about backend slide as you can (99%) guarantee that it will correct itself. If carrying a passenger tell them not to try to compensate for any 'twitching' the bike may do as you will have full control. If you do think you are going to fall over do not try to stop the bike but keep your feet on the pegs - you should not come to any harm as your crash bars are there to protect the bike and putting a leg down can cause you some serious damage if it slips under the bike. The main thing is confidence in the bike and your own ability. Wings are heavy bikes but so is a 250 when you worry about how it should be ridden.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri May 04, 2012 4:05 pm

Here is a nother plus I have found since I installed the extra wheels on my cycle.In gravel you don't even know
you are on the stuff.You can go as slow as you want.Sure is different then when I was just on two wheels.
Of coarse I will tell you only the plus side of the extra wheels, and not the negatives :lol:
Gas sucks for one thing.My MPG sure dropped several miles....

WA9FWT Phil

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri May 04, 2012 4:13 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I've had both of my Wings on gravel, dirt and grass many times. At first I was very tense, but once I realized it's just another bike, you stay loose and let the bike do what it wants (for the most part), you'll find it's more than controllable and usable off-road. I wouldn't go through ruts and rocks and things that would damage it, but it can easily handle dirt and gravel.

At first I went very slow and cautious - but I found quickly that if you take it a bit faster, it's actually more stable.

Did any body ever tell you there are BEARS in that forest :lol:
Glad you came out safe!! I got to ride again today, well with your nice video.

WA9FWT Phil

Randy S
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade 1989 GL1500

Postby Randy S » Sat May 05, 2012 5:02 pm

I 've just gotten back into riding after 23 years by buying a 78 GL1000. I live a little over a mile from the hiway in the country in NE Nebraska so riding on gravel is a must. By trying to stay in the tire track and out of the ridge of loose gravel and running about 30mph in 2nd gear I seem to have the best control. The rear moves around when fighting the tire ruts from farmers semi's (they all have them nowdays). Be ready to come to a quick stop if you have to get over for oncoming traffic as the front wheel really likes to push sideways in a 4 to 6 inch deep ridge of loose gravel. I'm not very experienced yet but this is what I've learned this spring, hope it helps and you enjoy the ride as much as I do. :D

Bogator
Motorcycle: 1998 valkyrie

Postby Bogator » Sun May 06, 2012 5:10 am

We have a lot of dirt roads in the south, so, just another day at the office here, ride safe, just do it and get use to riding on dirt-----you will have to at some time or place----the more you do it --the more the fear will leave---- 8-)
GOD BLESS

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Sun May 06, 2012 4:11 pm

I rode my wing in Michigan and on a dirt/sand/gravel road with a trailer for about ten miles. No problem at all. The were a few uphill and downhill grades, nothing too bad. There even a four way stop on an uphill grade. Again, no problem. NOW on the other hand, we were in North Carolina a couple of years ago hauling a different trailer and the wife was on with me. It was a VERY steep upgrade and I did not have enough momentum and downshifted. Thats where the trouble began. The rest is history. Just stay a little loose on the handlebars and you should be fine. I honestly believe if I would have had myu darkside rear tire on it would not have happened.
Attachments

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun May 06, 2012 5:28 pm

vtxcandyred wrote:I rode my wing in Michigan and on a dirt/sand/gravel road with a trailer for about ten miles. No problem at all. The were a few uphill and downhill grades, nothing too bad. There even a four way stop on an uphill grade. Again, no problem. NOW on the other hand, we were in North Carolina a couple of years ago hauling a different trailer and the wife was on with me. It was a VERY steep upgrade and I did not have enough momentum and downshifted. Thats where the trouble began. The rest is history. Just stay a little loose on the handlebars and you should be fine. I honestly believe if I would have had myu darkside rear tire on it would not have happened.

I remember seeing those pictures before. Was glad to here you made it out quiet well as I remember too.
Also glad you are up and back in the saddle again.You can share some more pictures, but not like this any more.
WA9FWT Phil

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 07, 2012 8:45 am

WA9FWT wrote:Did any body ever tell you there are BEARS in that forest :lol:

WA9FWT Phil

I've spent lots of time in that area, in cabins in the middle of nowhere. Haven't seen a bear yet. :)

That said, we encounter bears all the time up at my parents cabin. They go after the garbage. As soon as they see you, they vanish. They want nothing to do with people.

Blackngold
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Blackngold » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:24 am

Just got back from a trip to visit uncle in panandle FL. The local name for this area is-- sandhills. Imagine trying to drive thru a road of SUGAR! Not a pleasant experience. I grew up riding dirt bikes on logging trails,swamps, and have driven the beach in New Smyrna,FL.( packed sand very stable) I found out quickly to get to the edge of road where grass was growing away from cage ruts. When I tipped over on my 150lb. dirt bike I'd just laugh, pick it up and keep on going. Don't think I'd be laughing trying to right my Wing while standing in sugar fine sand.

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:30 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
WA9FWT wrote:Did any body ever tell you there are BEARS in that forest :lol:

WA9FWT Phil

I've spent lots of time in that area, in cabins in the middle of nowhere. Haven't seen a bear yet. :)

That said, we encounter bears all the time up at my parents cabin. They go after the garbage. As soon as they see you, they vanish. They want nothing to do with people.

I know what you mean about the BEARS, but try to convince that guy in Alaska that just called 911 when he was mauled and up a tree.It took 1 1/2 hours before some one came to help....I bet he respects those bears from now on :o :o
WA9FWT Phil

Return to “Goldwing Chat”