Vetter Bags "OOPS"

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Randy S
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade 1989 GL1500

Vetter Bags "OOPS"

Postby Randy S » Sat May 05, 2012 10:59 pm

After working on my 78 wing with Vetter fairing and bags I went for a ride yesterday. I had tried to get the locks that hold the bags on to work better. They didn't want to release so I cleaned the pin that the spring catches and put a little grease on them. Now they didn't seem to lock on properly so I cleaned off the grease. Now the bags latched when pushed on with some force. Everything seemed fine until I hit 4th gear and the left bag departed. I watched it tumble down the hiway and slide across the pavement into the right ditch. I can't say enough about the quality and strength of these 34 year old accessories. The bag survived with two scuffs on the corners of the door and a crack on the back that I will have to plastic weld. In order to prevent this from happening again and have some peace of mind I went to a local farm supply store and bought 1/8 inch clip pins that are used to secure hitch pins on farm equipment. I then cross drilled the pin that holds the bag above the lock. When you install the bag you put the clip pin in and the bag can't come off even if the latch spring pops out of its groove. Luckily my bike just gained some character and not major damage. I wish I had spent the $1.39 for a package of pins and had done this earlier. I would encourage all of you with Vetter hard bags to do this so this doesn't happen to you.

Bogator
Motorcycle: 1998 valkyrie

Re: Vetter Bags "OOPS"

Postby Bogator » Sun May 06, 2012 4:54 am

Does it feel like ---when a tire comes off and passes you ,in a cage,-just askin-- hope all is well and you get the scratches out---- :lol: :lol:
GOD BLESS

Randy S
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade 1989 GL1500

Re: Vetter Bags "OOPS"

Postby Randy S » Sun May 06, 2012 9:25 am

Bogator wrote:Does it feel like ---when a tire comes off and passes you ,in a cage,-just askin-- hope all is well and you get the scratches out---- :lol: :lol:

All I could think of was "oh crap, where am I gonna find one of these"! Was really glad (and surprised) to see so little damage. Live (or ride) and learn ;)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”