1500 trike conversion

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mrdoug
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

1500 trike conversion

Postby mrdoug » Sun May 06, 2012 9:44 pm

I have a great 98 1500 SE with only 45K miles on it but because of a recent hip replacement, I find it more and more difficult to keep it upright at a stop, particularly with my wife on behind me. I am therefore considering a trike conversion rather than investing in one already converted. Does anyone know if there are any articles that compare the "good/bad" of the various manufacturer's kits?

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: 1500 trike conversion

Postby trike lady » Sun May 06, 2012 11:51 pm

Well, there are many conversions out there and the best thing to do is visit the websites of the manufacturers and see what each conversion offers. Do you want solid axle or independent suspension? You certainly would want raked triple trees (AKA Rake Kit) and maybe running boards.
Talk with other trike owners and ask them about theirs. Visit the local installer and see their shop and if you feel comfortable with them. Having a bike converted is a lot of homework and test ride various trikes if possible.
www.motortrike.com
www.championtrikes.com
www.triwing.com/
www.hannigantrikes.com/
www.californiasidecar.com/
www.trikeshop.com/
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon May 07, 2012 7:03 am

Just one opinion!
After a 4 year study of all major brands, several decisions were made:
1. For the smoothest ride, I wanted IRS
2. For even a smoother ride, extended wheel base became a must for me.
3. For ease of steering a rake kit is a needed.
A. I went w/a 4deg as I felt a 6deg make the trikes seem "twitchy".
4. All the hype on different springs and other front suspension mods, such as fork braces, where not needed by me. My stock suspension works fine.
5. This one is a biggy: Pick your installer wisely! A good installer gives a great trike. A poor install results in a very disheartening experience!

donnewald
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE Lehman trike

Postby donnewald » Fri May 18, 2012 7:23 pm

I'm riding a '96 GL1500 SE with a Lehman GSL from 2004. Solid axle, adjustable shocks. I had a bad one a long time ago on a two wheeler with a passenger that leaned me back into the car that pulled in front of me. IRS gives the passenger the opportunity to do that again. So, I did the solid axle. Maybe I should have done the progressives, but I've got time and the compressor and controls are still there.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon May 21, 2012 11:05 am

donnewald wrote:I'm riding a '96 GL1500 SE with a Lehman GSL from 2004. Solid axle, adjustable shocks. I had a bad one a long time ago on a two wheeler with a passenger that leaned me back into the car that pulled in front of me. IRS gives the passenger the opportunity to do that again. So, I did the solid axle. Maybe I should have done the progressives, but I've got time and the compressor and controls are still there.

Could you please explain how IRS could possibly cause a leaning passenger to veer you anymore than a solid axle?????
No insult intended but, I'm not buying that one!
Better yet, please advise which IRS brand on what bike did you experience this.
Thanks

Return to “Goldwing Chat”