Cleveland motorcycle show

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Cleveland motorcycle show

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:46 pm

My wife and I went to the motorcycle show in Cleveland today. As expected, tons of Harley stuff, but not the overbearing amount like I had expected. Quite a few trikes, lots and lots of Harley apparel shops. I had hoped to see some fold-out pop-up camper trailers, but only found one.

The Honda display had a couple $30K GL1800's, and they also had their new VFR1200 with the paddle-shift double-clutch automatic transmission. They're putting it out like a sport-tourer, although I wouldn't want to spend much time hunched over like that.

The main thing I wanted to do was try on one of the Arai Profile helmets, as I'm in the market for a new helmet this year. The Profile helmet has an oval "long" shape to the interior, and I was hoping it would fit my head better than my old Shoei, which gives me hot spots on my forehead and on the back of my head.

I tried one on, going straight for the Large, which seemed to me to fit quite well. One of the Arai reps then took one look at me and said, "no, you're a medium. Your head is 58 centimeters." I asked him how he knew this, and he said, "I've been doing these shows for twenty years. But here..." and he whipped out a measuring tape. Sure enough, 58 cm on the dot.

So I tried on a medium, which seemed tight to me - but when he explained to me that the "tightness" is the cheek pads, and to concentrate on the crown, I could see that he was right. More importantly, I didn't feel the pressure on my head that my Shoei gives me.

So now I'm ready to go shopping for my Arai Profile helmet, in medium.

My wife tried sitting on a few bikes, but was only able to touch the ground on some smaller bikes and scooters. They had a whole area set up for women bikers, and they spent about ten minutes doing a sales job trying to convince my wife that she should have her own bike and take the MSF beginner's course.

All said, it was a fairly good time. I saw a few interesting products, and now that I can buy my new helmet online without having to try them on in a store, I can save quite a few bucks - more than enough to pay for the show admission.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Re: Cleveland motorcycle show

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:29 am

A few pictures of the show (click to enlarge):

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:12 am

Thanks for the fine pictures.Thats as close as I will get to seeing new cycle equipment. How long did it take to get you out of the rafters ha ha That took some doings to get those nice pictures...
WA9FWT PHIL

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 am

Actually, it wasn't as hard as you think - the IX Center in Cleveland has a massive indoor ferris wheel that goes up through the roof (it is covered in greenhouse-like windows, and you can watch airplanes take off and land at Hopkins airport, which is next door). My wife makes sure we ride it ($2) every time we attend anything there. :)

IX Center Ferris Wheel
IX Center Ferris Wheel

Newwinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100

Postby Newwinger » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:11 pm

WingAdmin wrote:My wife makes sure we ride it ($2) every time we attend anything there. :)

Ferris.jpg

Wow, your wife is mean ;)

Rick - 83 GL1100

Return to “Goldwing Chat”