Advanced Rider Training (ARC)

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Ray Aube
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Advanced Rider Training (ARC)

Postby Ray Aube » Mon May 07, 2012 2:45 pm

I've ridden bikes for several years of my life but the other night, I attended an ARC given by our local Goldwing Road Riders' Association (GWRRA) and I learned a lot. The first thing was "counter-steering" which, at speeds above 15mph, means that you push forward gently on the right handlebar to turn right and likewise to turn left. It's amazing how little effort is required to make the turn in a much smoother and relaxed way. I was doubtful but when I tried it, I was amazed and it will come in very handy should I ever need to swerve around an obstacle or object in the road. This technique, coupled with the correct apexing of a turn and looking to the exit of the curve have made me a better and safer rider already. I highly recommend this training to everyone, experienced riders included.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Advanced Rider Training (ARC)

Postby tandem54 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:02 pm

I believe taking any kind of additional training is good. And I “practice sometimes when I’m alone and away from everybody! To keep my skills sharp!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Mon May 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Practice makes perfect. I can say that counter steering has kept me from being hit by a car twice now. Re-learning old techniques and new ones is always a good thing.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon May 07, 2012 8:44 pm

I took the Advanced Riders Course somewhere around 25 years ago, so that I could enter Military Bases on my motorcycles. It was a very beneficial learning experience and I have practiced the skills picked up then ever since. If I find another ARC being given anywhere nearby, I intend to take it again. I had been riding more than 20 years when I took the course, and thought I knew a lot. Was I ever wrong. What I would really like to take is the Police Motorcycle Training Course. It is comparable to the Goldwing. The Goldwing is a crotch rocket on steroids and the PMTC is the ARC on steroids.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Ray Aube

Postby Ray Aube » Mon May 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Check out your local GWRRA Chapter and inquire about their course schedule. Membership to GWRRA is $55 for one year and that includes towing for your bike up to 160km distance. For an additional $25 per year, you can sign up for Rescue Plus by Towbusters; it covers your whole family and your family's non-commercial vehicles as well as a bike towed trailer or trailer used to tow a bike. Great deal plus you get a monthly magazine. Most chapters meet once per month and attendance is not mandatory.

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Mon May 07, 2012 10:20 pm

I try to take the ARC course every two years. There is a guy in our chapter who takes it every year. It's a great course and I highly recommend it.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

SKMURDOCK
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby SKMURDOCK » Tue May 08, 2012 8:01 am

themainviking wrote:I took the Advanced Riders Course somewhere around 25 years ago, so that I could enter Military Bases on my motorcycles. It was a very beneficial learning experience and I have practiced the skills picked up then ever since. If I find another ARC being given anywhere nearby, I intend to take it again. I had been riding more than 20 years when I took the course, and thought I knew a lot. Was I ever wrong. What I would really like to take is the Police Motorcycle Training Course. It is comparable to the Goldwing. The Goldwing is a crotch rocket on steroids and the PMTC is the ARC on steroids.

I am sure there are other alternatives, but I want to take the "Ride Like A Pro" class begun by Jerry Palidino. It teaches slow speed skills based on police motorcycle training. For me, I will travel to Los Angeles (not quite 300 miles from my home) next year, as the franchisee in California is on a deployment till next April.

Viking, there is one in Southfield MI, looks like around 450 - 500 miles from you. Here is the link to that franchisee. http://www.ridelikeapro-gl.com/homepage.aspx

Has anyone on the forum attended this class? Please post your thoughts.

liljack
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Postby liljack » Tue May 08, 2012 3:27 pm

The Ride Like a Pro course is also well worth it. I purchased the DVD as well and practice the maneuvers on my own. The course is geared mainly towards parking lot riding and control under 10 mph.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue May 08, 2012 3:40 pm

cbx4evr wrote:I try to take the ARC course every two years. There is a guy in our chapter who takes it every year. It's a great course and I highly recommend it.

GWRRA chapters put on what is known as PLP (Parking Lot Practice) which contains a lot of the ARC elements and familiarizes one with their weak points. Our chapter tries to do this every two or three months during the summer. (I missed our first one, two days ago - forgot about it totally - kicking my own butt over that) :lol: :lol: :lol:

From looking at the Ride like a Pro website, it appears that our Parking Lot Practice is very similar. The Great Lakes Franchise is in North Detroit, and I will be in Bay City for a course on the 12th. I notice they have cancelled their course for the 13th due to it being Mothers Day. Well, for me, that signifies that I am not supposed to take that course. I shall look for another ARC, and try to remember to attend our PLPs. I practice most of that stuff, with the exception of braking, as soon as the parking lots up here have been cleaned of winters sand. I should practice braking more, but cannot bring myself to prematurely wear out my bikes brakes.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Mon May 21, 2012 8:34 am

SKMURDOCK wrote:
themainviking wrote:I took the Advanced Riders Course somewhere around 25 years ago, so that I could enter Military Bases on my motorcycles. It was a very beneficial learning experience and I have practiced the skills picked up then ever since. If I find another ARC being given anywhere nearby, I intend to take it again. I had been riding more than 20 years when I took the course, and thought I knew a lot. Was I ever wrong. What I would really like to take is the Police Motorcycle Training Course. It is comparable to the Goldwing. The Goldwing is a crotch rocket on steroids and the PMTC is the ARC on steroids.

I am sure there are other alternatives, but I want to take the "Ride Like A Pro" class begun by Jerry Palidino. It teaches slow speed skills based on police motorcycle training. For me, I will travel to Los Angeles (not quite 300 miles from my home) next year, as the franchisee in California is on a deployment till next April.

Viking, there is one in Southfield MI, looks like around 450 - 500 miles from you. Here is the link to that franchisee. http://www.ridelikeapro-gl.com/homepage.aspx

Has anyone on the forum attended this class? Please post your thoughts.

I have a friend that has taken the "Ride Like a Pro" class and he recommends it highly. I think, once you take the initial course they have refresher courses you can take as my friend has taken these. I could never keep up with him after he took the course. He is one of those that likes to push the envelope, if you know what I mean. He was a very safe and competent rider even before taking the course and said the course was well worth the cost. If you are like him and want to push yourself a lot it is one of the best courses out there.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

Ray Aube

Postby Ray Aube » Mon May 21, 2012 9:18 am

Check this out - excellent information on cornering.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthre ... ost3765436

Return to “Goldwing Chat”