10" rain in one hour - rider observations

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

10" rain in one hour - rider observations

Postby yechave » Tue May 29, 2012 4:55 pm

We happened to be traveling the Lehigh Valley (Pa) on Saturday. Todays local newspaper stated it rained 10" in one hour in some areas. Doubt that was anywhere near what we saw, but nonetheless, it was a heavy rain to be in on a MC.

What I observed was not one rider had rain gear in the 2.5 hrs we were on the road and watching traveling cyclists.

The forecast for the entire week was showers every day. Certainly there had to be some better prepared.

I saw one young woman riding with jeans, a T shirt, sandles and helmet. WOW! This was on a major road.

One the way home, one HD rider had pulled over at an underpass on the Pa Turnpike. Seemed like a good idea, except, had he stayed there, it may have rained for hours longer. Just the risk of hydroplaning was enough reason to stop riding.

What he nor anyone else could have guessed, just half a mile further north was no rain, it had not and did not rain north of that spot the rest of the day. It was dry as could be.

One a side note, my companion and I had intended to take a two hour MC ride, expecting to beat the rain expected that afternoon.
We only went 20 minutes or so and I decided to go home instead as the thunder had started.

There was vertually no one on the roads. There was one MC coming towards us, and one SUV (Caddy, maybe) stopped at a stop sign coming from our left. I saw no indication the cage driver was going to start moving, tinted glass prevented me from seeing who was driving or if they were looking. As I continued to pass the intersection, the other MC having just passed us,

the front passenger door of the SUV was directly in front of my tire in the blink of an eye. I locked up the brakes, could smell the rubber, swerved and have no idea how we did not hit the car. This was the first time since I have been riding I did not have the Nolan full face helemt on. We just switched to the G-max 3/4 & 1/2 helmets for summer. One of my intial thoughts was, I was going to eat the windshield. Then I thought, this could really suck. Someone was watching over us that day.

The ABS brakes on this bike are fantastic!

Another extremely fortunate day it was indeed!

A follow up to the thread I posted on the MC accident involving my friend a few weeks ago:
After reviewing the video of the accident many times, the intial single event that created the chain of events leading to the crash was a "wave." That momentary release from covering the clutch and waving was enough to not have enough control which most likely would have avoided the collision. Now I understand why some riders just do not wave, period.

Mike 545
Motorcycle: Blue 2012 GL1800
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: 10" rain in one hour - rider observations

Postby Mike 545 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:39 am

Yeah, you're right about the rain; I'm beginning to get depressed. It's a good thing that I didn't take a cruise yesterday; I was going to, but projects around the house got in the way.

I'm a bit vague regarding the SUV incident. Was the driver not paying attention - did he not see you?

yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Postby yechave » Wed May 30, 2012 9:49 am

I have no idea why there even was an incident. I will likely go back at some point and see what their vantage point was from that direction. It was all kind of surreal to me.

At first it did not seem like there was anyway to avoid a collision, next thing we are behind the SUV, safely headed home.

Should be great riding in the area tomorrow throught the weekend.

Mike 545
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby Mike 545 » Wed May 30, 2012 2:54 pm

I hope the weekend is good to excellent. I do not want to see another drop of rain for awhile.

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:18 am

Glad you were able to miss the accident, that is always a good thing. Some things I have learned through my own experiences and those of people I have taken to the hospital emergency rooms: First off, I do not ride in rain like that, I turn around and go back to where I came from. 2nd, I never wear a half helmet, always a full face or flip front full face. Half helmets do not protect your face and chin, summer or winter. 3rd, instead of watching for the drivers eyes, watch the wheels, whether the person is giving the appearance of looking at you or not, if the wheels are moving the car/suv/truck/motorcycle/atv/airplane/Land Rover or what ever is MOVING.
Good luck and keep the rubber side down!
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

GRAPEAPE94
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby GRAPEAPE94 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Three years ago I rode from Cleveland to Venice Fl. all the way in the rain. Sometimes light sometimes heavy. It took me 22 hours straight through. Saw some idiots on the road. One that really stands out was just south of Columbia S.C.. I was under a bridge taking a cig. break and to get out of the rain for awhile when a crotch rocket came by doing at least 80 in the driving rain. Shorts t-shirt and sandels.

The rain does not bother me much but, I will pull over if the wind picks up or there is lightning in the area. I slow down and make sure there is a lot more room between myself and the 4 wheelers. I really hate it when a semi passes me. The spray kills all vision for a few seconds.

Mike 545
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby Mike 545 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:50 pm

I do not think Yechave intended to ride in the rain; he got caught in the rain.

I live in the same area; it was a nice day - the sun was out. Than, it rained for about 30 minutes, and the sun came back out. I almost took a ride myself. The day was that nice.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”