Do you wear your " Helmet "

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Do you wear your " Helmet "

Postby WA9FWT » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:47 am

Fond Du Lac, WI... on Highway 151 this past thursday, 12 cyclists from Michigan were traveling in a group when
a on comming car drove right into the group killing one, and hit 10 others. It said all 12 were wearing helmets,and
there is no doubt that there would have been more fatalities associated with this if people did not have helmets on. This happened about 30 miles from my home here in Sheboygan, WI

WA9FWT Phil

moorew
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Postby moorew » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:53 am

It is very rare that I do not wear a helmet. Occasionally I will take off "around the block" - 1 mile square, all country roads - without it. Helmets are hot, heavy and un-cool to wear, but they will save your life. We had some friends over for a cook-out for the Holiday last weekend and were watching all the bikes go by. She remarked that almost all had no helmets on. I would guess 90% to 95% were helmet-less. They also have a Goldwing and we ride together sometimes. There have been several fatal motorcycle accidents reported in the local media recently and the common statement was "and the rider was not wearing a helmet." The most notable was a County Sheriff Deputy killed when he rear-ended a car. It was reported that "excessive speed and not wearing an helmet" were contributing factors in his death! By the way, he was off duty and riding his personnel "crotch rocket". I am not a fan of "mother government" telling me what I have to do to be safe - ie: seatbelt and helmet laws - but I always wear a seatbelt in the car or truck and a helmet while riding because good judgment and common sense tells me to.

Bill
Noblesville,IN

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Postby D2D » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:18 am

NH does not require that you wear a helmet; however common sense does. If there were no other vehicles on the road I might chance it but sharing space with all of the nuts behind the wheels on our overcrowded highways makes it an absolute necessity. I can't count on all of my fingers and toes the number of close encounters I have every year, mainly because of morons on their cell phones drifting into the wrong lane or doing some other asinine thing while driving. I have been riding for nearly 50 years and it gets worse and worse every single day. There are just too many people on our roads today that do not pay attention to what they are suppose to be doing. If I were a traffic cop, I could hand out hundreds of tickets a day .. so "yes" I wear a helmet. I'd rather be alive than be remembered as that cool helmet-less old dude who lived down the road.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:22 am

When I first started riding in California, they did not have helmet law...but I wore a full face. Rode up in the mountains, and took my vtwin up through the Sierra Pass with no helmet, actually felt weird. 5 years later, riding home from then GF's house....I hit a dog on the freeway (damn dog), good thing I was wearing a helmet. My head hit the freeway on my left side, put a good dent in the side....I was able to get up and walk away. By the way, I hit the dog on the freeway, so I was going 70 mph, so it was a hellava hit. Ever since then....always wore, and always will.

Since then, always wear one. I have a full face and a 3/4 open face, just depends on what to wear.

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Postby Bamaeagle » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:29 am

In Alabama it is required to wear a helmet but, even if it was not required I would wear one. I use to be with the local fire/rescue squad and I have seen the results of not wearing helmets. I do not get on my wings to ride without one. Now I have moved the wings around the shop and yard without one. They may not be "cool looking" and they may mess your hair up (they make combs and brushes for that)and they may be hot in summer time but when they are really needed you will be glad you had it on.
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

barnawi
Motorcycle: GL1800 (12)

Postby barnawi » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:19 pm

I get my helmet on for every ride cause you do't know whats gana happen
Ride safe

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:07 pm

These are the helmets that I most often wear. Weather and mood dictate what goes on. Being in Mass. It's not if I wear a helmet the only choice I have is, what helmet. Some choice is better than none. ;)

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:56 pm

ATGATT! And I mean all the time. When I was young and stupid, in southern California on my Triumph 650, no helmet, etc. Now, I am old and stupid but learned enough to know that is why they are called accidents, you do not plan for them, they just happen any old time. If you could plan for accidents, you could say " well, no accident today don't need a helmet. Tomorrow, helmet, I am planning an accident.
As a first responder paramedic, a full time faculty instructor in pre-hospital emergency medicine at the University of Cincinnati and a rider I have learned to wear all my gear, no half helmets, no Hitler helmets, no 3/4 helmets; full face and flip front full face only. And the flip front is up only to put it on, always closed otherwise.
In a head on or head on dismount, the first thing to hit the ground in something like 60% of accidents, is the chin. Where do you think that leaves you?
JMHO
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:38 am

It is very rarely that I do not wear a helmet. Occasionally I will ride without it, But it feels like I'm naked and really missing something, also a lot noisier!
It is hard when you know it is Hot & you will be going for awhile, you see other riders without them and say why not leave it off this time!?
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:57 am

I alway wear my helmet ......... it's the law here in NZ. $150 instant fine if you don't.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:59 am

I wouldn't be here today if not for wearing a helmet.

I have an Arai full-face helmet, I don't ride without it. Ever.

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:45 am

I never leave home without it. Helmet is always on the head where it belongs. I've been down twice and both times wearing a full face. Would have had scrambled brains if not. I never take it off, even for that 'short' trip to the store.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:07 pm

I have been riding for about 49 years, and in the beginning, when I was rough, tough, hard to bluff and immortal, I did not wear a helmet. Then when I was a member of some clubs, due to peer pressure and being as stated in the first sentence, I did not wear a helmet. I had two motorcycle accidents during this period, both serious, and my head did not come anywhere near the pavement in either one - my thoughts at the time were that this was because I did not have the helmet weight dragging my head down. My reasoning on this was because when I had a third accident, I was wearing a helmet, and my head DID hit the pavement resulting in a whiplash that took years to totally go away. In all three of these accidents, I was rear ended by cars. One intentionally, and two from a lack of attention by the drivers.

Fast forward to today. I am older, I hope a bit wiser, and no longer feel that touch of immortality that I had in my younger years. I hate to be told what to do, but if all helmet laws were rescinded today, I would voluntarily wear one, because I feel it gives me that extra bit of possibility of surviving another accident. When I was young, life was really cheap, due to my having spent so much time in battlefield conditions as a member of fighting forces. Then I finally grew up a little. Life is not cheap, and when it is snuffed out, it is final. I no longer feel that my life or anyone else's need be prematurely ended. I wear a helmet, even when in areas where I need not. I buckle my seatbelt also, and have been doing that for a great many years, and finally, I also avoid being put in situations whereas someone might be shooting in my direction.

Just some of my thoughts....
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:25 pm

moorew wrote:I am not a fan of "mother government" telling me what I have to do to be safe - ie: seatbelt and helmet laws - but I always wear a seatbelt in the car or truck and a helmet while riding because good judgment and common sense tells me to.

Bill
Noblesville,IN

Unfortunately good judgment and common sense is in short supply these days. I'm not a big fan of government telling us what to do either but sometimes you have to protect people from themselves. In Canada the taxpayer and government pays for the health care of those not sensible enough to wear a seat belt or a helmet. First they hurt themselves by being ignorant then they want us to pay to look after them for their stupidity. So helmets are the law here. Interesting part is you have to wear a helmet so you protect your head, then, they go riding in t-shirt, shorts and sandals.

Myself it's ATGATT. I don't like pain.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Postby zamboni920 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Have to admit I rarely wear a helmet. Common sense tells me I should....and , yes, I do have some common sense....just that I choose to ignore it most of the time. I do wear it when a particular ride puts me on the highway, but mostly I avoid highways (highways are no fun, in my opinion). Someday I will get a shocker that will change my mindset....or, I'll be dead.
Throughout the years, there has been many arguments against wearing a helmet....mostly from the hardcore bikers of the 1960s. Almost all of these arguments have been proven to be groundless.....
OK, now I am pretty much convincing myself to wear it :) .

thirdstorybase
Motorcycle: 1987 gl1200 interstate

Postby thirdstorybase » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:50 pm

im about 50/50. depends on my mood and the weather. and if my wife yells at me when im leaving the house to put it on

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:53 am

I started riding right after joining the military. At 18, was not much reason to protect my head as it was mostly empty based on things I did back in those days. But the base required a helmet. After a good many hours of drinking, I left the bar and managed to drop the bike on a curve, laying it down. I slid into a concrete wall head first. When the dust settled and I was still able to move, I got up and checked the bike. It seemed to be ok, with some new paint modifications, but other that that still fully functional. I had a very sore neck but that was about all. The helmet however, was cracked nearly in half. Have been a firm believer of helmets since that time.
Now granted, when I was rear ended last year on the GW trike, the helmet probably made the whiplash much worse due to the weight of the full face helmet. But, that still doesn't excuse riding without one. Short rides in the country done excuse the need for the helmet either. The guy that hit me did so 1.5 miles from my house on a country road. He was texting, not looking. I slowed for a major fire on the highway, he never took his foot off the gas. Granted it was probably more my fault than his, as I was lulled into not being as cautious as I should have been, being on a country road so close to where I live. When slowing for the fire, was checking out the fire,smoke, firetrucks, etc etc and didn't check my rearview mirror before rolling back the throttle. Didn't realize that F250 truck was climbing up my arse. Never saw it coming.

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:34 am

thirdstorybase wrote:im about 50/50. depends on my mood and the weather. and if my wife yells at me when im leaving the house to put it on

You have a smart woman there,and the day will come when you say I was glad to have had that "Helmet On "
You don't have to be moving to fall over to hit your head, this has happened to me a few times and saved me.
It's just plain smart to have it on at all times!!!!! :)

WA9FWT Phil

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:15 am

I use a Fulmer fullface, a flipup face so you can drink something helmet.. :D

jstumbler
Motorcycle: 2005 R6 Stripped Naked
Ninja 250 Stock
1982 1100 Aspencade (Recently acquired, already naked)

Postby jstumbler » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:49 am

moorew wrote:Helmets are hot, heavy and un-cool to wear...

Bill
Noblesville,IN

Not so much any more. Helmets definitely fall in to the "you get what you pay" for category. I had a very nice HJC ($180) that I used for a couple years, and absolutely loved. The fella' I most often ride with swore by Shoei, so I saved some coin and dropped a wad on my $400 Last-Year's-Model Shoei. It's like night and day. The weight and aerodynamics of the Shoei are stunning, and make the helmet incredibly comfortable to wear for long rides. We did a 7 1/2 hour jaunt through southern Ohio, and I never took the Shoei off as kind of a personal helmet test. My neck wasn't the least bit sore or tired at the end of the day. Sitting at a stop light in the baking sun can make things a little warm for the ol' coconut, but I think that's unavoidable.

Quick Soap Box: I work for a big city fire dept and the number of accidents because of GPS and Cell Phones has increased dramatically. I haven't personally seen any bikes as of yet that were the victims these boneheaded drivers, but I have seen cars that have taken some good hits, and I could only imagine how a bike would have fared in such a situation. In one scenario, a guy was in the lane next to the off ramp lane. He realized he was about to pass the exit the GPS wanted him to get off at. Without looking, he quickly merged into the exit lane, and just smacked the unsuspecting car next to him off the road. Luckily, there was a grass patch for the car to run off in to, but that would have been seriously bad mojo for any of us who ride. A good helmet, and a great awareness are your best defense.

By the way, full face helmet 100% of the time.

jstumbler
Motorcycle: 2005 R6 Stripped Naked
Ninja 250 Stock
1982 1100 Aspencade (Recently acquired, already naked)

Postby jstumbler » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:01 am

Okay, one more comment. I have been to more then a handful of bike accidents were the rider took some serious damage to the dome while his helmet was in pristine condition strapped to the back of his bike. Brilliant.

One such dude was a very large (think Terry Crews), leather clad tough guy who went for a nice little blacktop slip-n-slide. Lucky for him, his bald head only suffered serious abrasions, as opposed to major cranial damage, but the asphalt did shred his jeans up enough in his posterior region to reveal his neon green thong underneath. But that's a story for another day... :mrgreen:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:23 am

jstumbler wrote:Not so much any more. Helmets definitely fall in to the "you get what you pay" for category. I had a very nice HJC ($180) that I used for a couple years, and absolutely loved. The fella' I most often ride with swore by Shoei, so I saved some coin and dropped a wad on my $400 Last-Year's-Model Shoei. It's like night and day. The weight and aerodynamics of the Shoei are stunning, and make the helmet incredibly comfortable to wear for long rides. We did a 7 1/2 hour jaunt through southern Ohio, and I never took the Shoei off as kind of a personal helmet test. My neck wasn't the least bit sore or tired at the end of the day. Sitting at a stop light in the baking sun can make things a little warm for the ol' coconut, but I think that's unavoidable.

This is totally true, and even in the past ten years helmets have advanced significantly. Two years ago I switched my 6-year-old Shoei (which definitely wasn't a cheap helmet) for a rather expensive Arai. The Shoei was definitely a good helmet, but after 3-4 hours, I really had had enough of it. The Arai...well, as I recently mentioned, I rode 31 hours in two days (19 hours the first day, 12 hours the next) a couple weekends ago, and at the end of it my head wasn't in the least bit uncomfortable, neither was my neck. I could wear this helmet all day every day and not have a problem.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:27 am

Well...... I have my entire family wear their helmets every single time :shock: , looks kinda funny when we all get out of the car at Denny's though.. :shock: :shock: The doggy has one too :lol: :lol: Oh yeh, it's hard for me guy's seriously, I have this unGodly large ass head[George Lopez head] and I can't find a helmet to fit it, the one I have makes my eye's kinda swell a little, it's ok guy's... :shock: I'll be alright the swelling does go away in a few hours after I remove it, if I can get it off... :lol:

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:37 am

littlebeaver wrote:Well...... I have my entire family wear their helmets every single time :shock: , looks kinda funny when we all get out of the car at Denny's though.. :shock: :shock: The doggy has one too :lol: :lol: Oh yeh, it's hard for me guy's seriously, I have this unGodly large ass head[George Lopez head] and I can't find a helmet to fit it, the one I have makes my eye's kinda swell a little, it's ok guy's... :shock: I'll be alright the swelling does go away in a few hours after I remove it, if I can get it off... :lol:

Leave it to a Beaver to tell us a story like this... :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I did learn there is a differance in "Helmets " in the postings .
WA9FWT Phil

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Postby zamboni920 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Funny.....For over 10 years I was riding motorcycles in Europe. Been through every country, except Eastern Europe, Spain and Portugal. Helmet is law in all countries I have been to, and I, myself, always wore a helmet while riding. This was back in the '80s and helmets were much less advanced then. Yet I could go for hours on the German Autobahn at 90 MPH , with absolutely no fatigue due to the helmet.
When I moved to US in 1989, there was no helmet law....yipeee :D . I think the reason I do not wear it much is the fact I can legally drive without (in CT) .
With that said, in my opinion wearing a helmet is not much hotter than without....actually, the lining seems to absorb sweat, instead of it dribbling down your temples and forehead.
The weight should not be an issue as a good helmet does not weigh much at all.
Is a helmet cool ? Well, I would have to say it is. Many young people on ricerockets does not wear one, but in my opinion, seeing someone (on any kind motorcycle) with a helmet and proper attire looks much better , or appropriate, then someone without. Funny thing is.....I have seen quite a few girls/women riders, both sports bikes, harleys and tourers.....never seen a female without a helmet (except passenger on Harleys). And men love women riders :mrgreen: , so it MUST be cool !
One big argument against helmets used to be hearing. Anti helmet riders always said you can't hear a horn or an emergency vehicle beneat the helmet. Well, try that at 65 MPH. Without a helmet, the windnoise practically makes you oblivious to anything around you.
Visibility.....Wearing a helmet with sunglasses, no visor.....no glasses but with visor....goggles or just sunglasses. If it rains, visibility comes out about the same. Although a visor can be easily wiped as you drive, easier than glasses or goggles.
Sorry for the ranting :) . I get on a roll and it is hard to stop :D .

Return to “Goldwing Chat”