Do you wear your " Helmet "

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
roadlost57
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200i

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by roadlost57 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:19 pm

:ugeek: yes i wear my helmet, I had a nasty head on back in the 80s,rare occasion I was wearing a helmet ever since than always

had a 76 gl1000 it got ran over,had another 76 wing i road it all over rip with 172050 on it

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:01 pm

No matter how hot it is, I wear my full face/modular helmet.

To help with the dampness, I always wear one of the sweat wicking head socks.
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

Choctaw
Motorcycle: GL 1800 Gold Wing

Post by Choctaw » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:57 pm

I couldn't even imagine not wearing a helmet. I think one of the first few posts here was comment that maybe helmets are uncool. I don't think that applies today. I think if you were to take 1000 average people motorcyclists or not and poll them the definitive answer that no helmet is a bit stupid.

gervais
Motorcycle: GoldWing 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by gervais » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:10 pm

well
i have always wear an helmet on motorcycle as long as i remember for MY safety.

Here in my region we are riding ,for some,snowmobile also and we are used too safety even if there are empty head in the trail.i add an incident when i was in my 35 ,,drunk,,and have been in "close contact" with a tree and the helmet saved my brain .the helmet was broken in 2 and i was knock-out ,,

After that years ago on the highway here on my RD350L-C i add a flat tire and i add 1 choice and it was the center of the highway for my "landing",,,,and it hit me hard.My friends that was following me said it was like in the cartoon: length in the mud at the center of the highway on my ass and on my head and after that i thanks my Shoei ZG that saved me.

The bone doctor said that i would not walk again as before and ride :he was wrong.

today i baught a used GW for me and my xyl,and one of my friends that died of cancer and told me "gervais do today what you love because tomorrow will not be back" so i baught a used bike.

Helmet are there for you and yours,for the one that you loved and these who loves you BUT the choice is YOURS.

Gf

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:44 am

That is a delightful story, and reinforces the pro helmet, which I support.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

garwil
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Post by garwil » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:18 pm

I used to wear a helmet primarily for crash protection. That is still a big reason, but I have learned to appreciate that the helmet makes everyday riding much more enjoyable without crashing into the pavement or whatever. If you have ever been hit in the chest by a June Bug at 70 mph, you know you don't want to take one in the face. Even with a full face helmet, I have regularly been struck by debris hitting my sunglasses, because I have flipped the windscreen up (This is behind a Tall Goldwing Windshield). The helmet may be hot at times, but it also protects your head and face from sun and extreme temperatures. The few times I have ridden in the TN, MS, AR area on a hot summer day without my riding pants, I notice the sun is burning my leg through my jeans at highway speeds. I don't have that problem with my riding pants. They may be a bit sweaty at the red light, but they make up for it between red lights. I feel the same way about my helmet. I have yet to use one for crash protection, and it is a very small possibility that I never will (although I ride as much as I can to make it more likely). But every day, every hour and every minute I am riding, my helmet is protecting me from sun, wind, rain, June Bugs, heat/cold, and miscellaneous flying debris from the road (as are my jacket, pants, gloves and boots). Besides this, it provides a useful scaffolding for my blu-tooth communications, camera (if I want one), etc. My helmet primarily is for comfort. The crash protection is just maybe, someday, if statistics catches up to me.

gervais
Motorcycle: GoldWing 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by gervais » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:30 pm

well garwil

i have 3 helmets here,

one full face and 2 open face :one black and one white.

the white is for the hot days and the black when it's ,,,,,,colder.

fullface is when i am expected rain i will care it on my GW "in case".i hate rain ,,
i remember riding from Rimouski too Quebec here and thats a 4 hrs,,+ on rain and it's cold here .i add my share of cold hand ,cold neck and ,,,,,frozen balls ahhh

ride safe
Gef

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:15 pm

gervais wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:30 pm
well garwil

i have 3 helmets here,

one full face and 2 open face :one black and one white.

the white is for the hot days and the black when it's ,,,,,,colder.

fullface is when i am expected rain i will care it on my GW "in case".i hate rain ,,
i remember riding from Rimouski too Quebec here and thats a 4 hrs,,+ on rain and it's cold here .i add my share of cold hand ,cold neck and ,,,,,frozen balls ahhh

ride safe
Gef
You need to get some heated clothing. Quebec's not cold, just crisp and fresh!! Northern Ontario is cold, just across the border from Rimouski. :lol:

Modular helmet for the past 20 years, snowmobiling and motorcycle riding.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Tue May 01, 2018 8:08 pm

20 years ago had a Corolla pull out in front of me while going 50 mph on my 1988 wing. Only 20’ to react. Totaled the car, bike and me,but I was wearing a $2 ex cop half helmet purchased at Goodwill. As I flew 30’ over the car, I had a lot of time to think “this is gonna hurt” and after landing on concrete on that $2 helmet, I slid another 30’ on the helmet. I was able to walk away with a twisted back and very little road rash. I will NEVER get on a motorcycle without a helmet, even if it’s just a small skull bucket. After 20 years and buying cars for kids (we have 5), we decided it’s time to ride again. Purchased a 1999 GL1500SE with 36,000 miles. After the new belts, carb kits, changing brake and clutch fluids and adding air horn, we will be back in the saddle...and wearing our new Daytona Skull Caps, Sedici Type 2 jackets and Bilt boots.
South Texas is beautiful in the spring

1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years