Do you wear your " Helmet "


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
Cruzn3213
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:33 am
Location: Norcross,Ga USA
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500se
Kidney Transplant Nov, 03 2015
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad (Sold)

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by Cruzn3213 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:06 pm



Been riding motorcycles for almost 45 years and I have to say I always wear a helmet. Safety is my number one priority. You'll never know when something of danger is heading your way. Even a block from your house. Had a friend once standing on the back of a golf cart and the driver hit a bump, my friend fell off and hit his head. He was never the same and passed five years later. Protective gear is there for a reason. :geek:



User avatar
Paul Narramore
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Aylesford UK
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 GoldWing
1977 BMW R100/7
1989 BMW R100GS-Paris Dakar

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by Paul Narramore » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:23 am

Wear my helmet? Of course I do. It's the law here in the UK and so it should be. No matter how hot it is - 115f in Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley - I would never, ever contemplate not wearing one. I motor scooter crash back in the early 1960s landed me in hospital for gravel rash to me teen age face and have worn them ever since. I don't regard it as Nanny State interference or un-cool, all riders here and in Europe wear them and if it is good enough for Rossi and Hailwood, it's good enough for me.
"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana" (Groucho Marx).

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, is very dark" (Groucho Marx).

User avatar
GoldWRider
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:31 pm
Location: Minnesota
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Sabre 1100
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by GoldWRider » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:34 pm

Well I hope it was not me who started all this. I did choose however, not to reply to posts because I know from forum experience replying to certain posts can cause even more issues. I wish to be honest (but not weak) on this forum.

Anyway, so shoot me if I take my helmet off when it is really hot and I have been riding miles and miles. Most of the time I keep it on and know the risks (thanks to those that posted how dangerous it is because I simply did not have a clue) riding without one. I mean lets be honest here when I say, I just did not simply know that riding without a helmet was dangerous, wow. :lol:

With that said, I was being honest (unlike most posters here) that sometimes I ride without one. I do not appreciate being treated like I am a fool.

Anyway, no hard feelings. I am pretty laid back with things. No issues here. 8-)
2007 Honda Sabre 1100
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800

User avatar
Jim1
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Peru, IN
Motorcycle: 2013 gold wing F6B trike

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by Jim1 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Damn it's getting hard to live in a maturing republic where they keep legislating the right to pursue happiness away. Perhaps all is not lost, the right to vote for legislators is still in vogue. Currently, 19 states and the District of Columbia have laws requiring all motorcyclists to wear a helmet, known as universal helmet laws. Laws requiring only some motorcyclists to wear a helmet are in place in 28 states. There is no motorcycle helmet use law in three states (Illinois, Iowa and New Hampshire). So my answer is yes I wear my helmet in those states that require it.
Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.

User avatar
suvcw04
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: NE Iowa
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by suvcw04 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:52 am

I live in Iowa. I always wear my helmet. I always wear my seat belt. I always pay me taxes. I don't have a gun permit. Whats wrong with me?

User avatar
garwil
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:08 pm
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by garwil » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:15 pm

I don't let my government make my decisions for me! So, even if they do not require them, I wear a helmet when I ride.
I have been known to ride a few miles without one, if the law allows, because I wanted to take my daughter across town and only had one helmet with me, or I was moving the bike around the yard. But, that is because I do not live in fear of instant death. I might ride if I did not have a helmet, but I would never choose to strap the helmet to the bike and ride without it.
I also wear a seat belt, even when the government does not require it. For the same reason. Because I have found I don't have time to stop and put it on when I need it.
Are helmets hot sometimes?? Sure, but not enough to offset the safety.
Same with my riding gear (Jacket, Pants, Gloves). When I ride without my jacket and pants (not very often) I find the sun is just a hot when I sit at a light, and continues to be hot when I am under way. With the riding gear, I am protected from the direct rays of the sun, and it gets cooler when I am under way.
If someone thinks I am not "Cool" because I wear gear, I don't care.
I didn't ask them what bike to ride, or where to ride, or what underwear looks best in the bedroom either. Their opinions are less than meaningless.

User avatar
insanemoondoggie
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: Altamont missouri
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by insanemoondoggie » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:01 pm

Yes I wear a helmet and update it on a regular bases. Been on to many calls where the person ends up a vegetable and family is stuck caring for them.
Kind of a no brainer, excuse the pun.

User avatar
jandjgoldwing
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:07 pm
Location: Sun City Center, FL
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750
Contact:

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by jandjgoldwing » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:12 am

I ride year-round wearing a Bell Mag-9 for Bluetooth, sun and eye protection. Without a helmet, my 70's hair get's tangled. Since it's proven to protect, the lack of a helmet is negligence in an accident with injuries. The primary goal of a lawyer/insurance company is to avoid paying a claim. The first question will be about whether the biker was wearing a helmet. I notice that the riders on one make of bike seem to think that "no helmet" is cool, while the crotch rocketeers like ATGATT. So, is it a state of mind, or is it posing?

User avatar
suvcw04
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: NE Iowa
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by suvcw04 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:54 pm

jandjgoldwing wrote: So, is it a state of mind, or is it posing?
Yes (covers both parts of the question).

Geofd
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:30 pm
Location: Framingham ma
Motorcycle: 1986 gl 1200

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by Geofd » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:54 pm

I live in mass so it's a law on fall day
I choose to wear my full face well I was on an older bmw doing about 70 went into a high speed wobble well I hit the ground so hard it cracked the helmet
By my ear ground down the chin area
and ground down the face shield there were other painfully injuries and lost time at work so yeh I threw out my half
Helmet and only wear a modular or full face

User avatar
garwil
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:08 pm
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by garwil » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:56 am

The argument that has always resonated with me is examining a helmet after an accident. When you see where the damage is, you know what the riders head would have gone through unprotected.
I have watched my buddy go down and then be able to talk to them right after the accident while we marvel at the scrape marks on the chin and face shield. You know that the helmet was worth it because they have an unblemished face and their chin is not pushed into their brain.

User avatar
OldZX11Rider
Posts: 1207
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Garfield, Arkansas
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by OldZX11Rider » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Anytime I get out of the yard here, I'll be wearing the brain bucket. At my age, in this state, I don't have to wear it all the time, and there were times I didn't.
Whenever we took off on vacation, my wife and I always wore our helmets. Didn't always know local laws.
Now, being a little older and hopefully a little bit smarter, next time I smack my head on something it'll have a helmet on it. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

User avatar
garwil
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:08 pm
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by garwil » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:54 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:Anytime I get out of the yard here, I'll be wearing the brain bucket. At my age, in this state, I don't have to wear it all the time, and there were times I didn't.
Whenever we took off on vacation, my wife and I always wore our helmets. Didn't always know local laws.
Now, being a little older and hopefully a little bit smarter, next time I smack my head on something it'll have a helmet on it. :lol:
There is a simple exercise where you sit on the kitchen counter (or work bench) with your back to the edge, and fall over backwards onto the floor. Notice how much fun it is when you land on a hard surface and smack your head. Now imagine how much more fun it would be if the counter or bench was traveling at speed. Who wants to go without a helmet now? :lol:

User avatar
Jim1
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Peru, IN
Motorcycle: 2013 gold wing F6B trike

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by Jim1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:10 pm

According to the bill of rights all are free to the pursuit of happiness (some elected officials do not agree with this.) Insurance companies have the right to add disclaimers and morticians have the right to charge large rates for services rendered.
Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.

billbob
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:30 pm
Location: columbia tennessee
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda gl1800 goldwing

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by billbob » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Always ,it,s the law in my state .I wear my helmet any time I ride. :P

User avatar
Solina Dave
Posts: 543
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:38 pm
Location: Solina, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by Solina Dave » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:42 pm

I live in Ontario, where there's a mandatory helmet law. I was in Nebraska last summer for a couple of days. It was a hundred in the shade. I was riding a beautiful paved back road, at about 30 to 40 mph., and hadn't seen a car for probably 10 minutes. I stopped and removed my helmet, and continued riding for about half an hour before putting my helmet back on.
Aside from the fact that wearing a helmet is mandatory in Nebraska, and I was breaking the law, was I wrong? Would anyone else have a problem doing that?

Just wonderin'.................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

User avatar
Dark Angel
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:15 pm
Location: Casey, Il
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by Dark Angel » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Always wear a helmet. I race off road and have had my helmet used for traction. I have had a lot of bell ringers that would have been potential skull crackers. I wish they would adapt the better tech of racing into the road helmets. Wish 6D would offer their system in a street version. The air fill removal systems should be offer as well. It always bothers me that I am better protected clearing a double or rock garden then on the street. He walked away wearing a 6d.

The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's heaven and hell. RJD

User avatar
suvcw04
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: NE Iowa
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by suvcw04 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:47 pm

Question . . . . both of my helmets leaves a grid pattern in my hair after even a few minutes of riding. What do y'all do to avoid this?

User avatar
garwil
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:08 pm
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by garwil » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:00 pm

Why would I care that my hair has a grid pattern??

But if I did, I suppose I could shave my head!
:lol: :lol:

User avatar
Solina Dave
Posts: 543
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:38 pm
Location: Solina, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by Solina Dave » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:36 pm

suvcw04 wrote:Question . . . . both of my helmets leaves a grid pattern in my hair after even a few minutes of riding. What do y'all do to avoid this?
I've never bothered to get one personally, but this site might give you an idea that would work.
http://www.sweatvac.com/headwear-pages- ... _Code=SVVC
Dave
"Assume Nothing"

User avatar
Big Bee
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:20 pm
Location: Boise, Idaho
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
1988 Honda Elite 250

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by Big Bee » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:33 pm

Yes!!!! It saved my life during my one and only crash umpteen years ago. I can still see the rock in a creek bed that my head hit to this day. Whether it is 112 or 17 degrees out, I wear my helmet. When riding my scooter, it gives great protection against those big bugs flying out there that decide to try and wallop the skull.

User avatar
garwil
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:08 pm
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by garwil » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:47 am

suvcw04 wrote:Question . . . . both of my helmets leaves a grid pattern in my hair after even a few minutes of riding. What do y'all do to avoid this?
So, my wife read my answer, and she has a different opinion. She will not shave her head, and she cares about having a waffle pattern in her hair. But she pointed out that because we wear the Freeze Out Helmet Liners http://www.cyclegear.com/search/go#w=liner&asug=, we do not get the grid pattern in our hair.

;)

User avatar
suvcw04
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: NE Iowa
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by suvcw04 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:04 am

garwil wrote:
suvcw04 wrote:Question . . . . both of my helmets leaves a grid pattern in my hair after even a few minutes of riding. What do y'all do to avoid this?
So, my wife read my answer, and she has a different opinion. She will not shave her head, and she cares about having a waffle pattern in her hair. But she pointed out that because we wear the Freeze Out Helmet Liners http://www.cyclegear.com/search/go#w=liner&asug=, we do not get the grid pattern in our hair.

;)
Thanks. I just went to their site and ordered three of them. Appreciate the help.

User avatar
flogger
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Indiana
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by flogger » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Jim1 wrote:Damn it's getting hard to live in a maturing republic where they keep legislating the right to pursue happiness away.
I disagree... When I was young, every state required you to wear a helmet. Contrary to "legislating the right to purse happiness away," the trend has been to get rid of helmet laws thanks to ABATE lobbying. Now, pursue happiness? Laws are on the books for the public good, welfare and to protect society... We have seat belt laws... Where we really screw up is trying to legislate morality and ethics. Bitching about a helmet law is like bitching about speed limits, insurance, stop signs, criminal laws, whatever... Get over it... You can always choose to not wear a helmet, just pay the fine... Better yet, spend a Friday night in an ER room seeing what brains look like... and if you survive and become a vegetable- don't expect my tax dollars to take care of you. I will get off my soap box... Do I wear my helmet? All four of them, one for each bike... better yet, I even have a bicycle helmet that I wear (without any legal requirements) on my bicycle too...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

User avatar
suvcw04
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: NE Iowa
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by suvcw04 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:59 pm

flogger wrote:
Jim1 wrote:Damn it's getting hard to live in a maturing republic where they keep legislating the right to pursue happiness away.
I disagree... When I was young, every state required you to wear a helmet. Contrary to "legislating the right to purse happiness away," the trend has been to get rid of helmet laws thanks to ABATE lobbying. Now, pursue happiness? Laws are on the books for the public good, welfare and to protect society... We have seat belt laws... Where we really screw up is trying to legislate morality and ethics. Bitching about a helmet law is like bitching about speed limits, insurance, stop signs, criminal laws, whatever... Get over it... You can always choose to not wear a helmet, just pay the fine... Better yet, spend a Friday night in an ER room seeing what brains look like... and if you survive and become a vegetable- don't expect my tax dollars to take care of you. I will get off my soap box... Do I wear my helmet? All four of them, one for each bike... better yet, I even have a bicycle helmet that I wear (without any legal requirements) on my bicycle too...
Amen



Post Reply