Do you wear your " Helmet "

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:13 am

I know what you're saying. I have no desire to load up on stuff to wear but I am considering it because I think it might be a valuable piece of safety equipment. Maybe I'll decide it isn't but I'm going to look into it either way.

The one I am most interested in isn't the most expensive or the cheapest but when inflated it adds protection to the neck and tailbone areas. I think that is worthwhile and would provide additional protection. Again, I am just starting my investigation into whether it is worth it or not.

I do say I am happy that you recovered from your accident. I went through a very minor one, lower speed but I still came away with a mild concussion and no memory of the crash. In fact, got up, lifted my GL1100 and rode for almost a mile before telling my son I need to pull over because I didn't feel good. Asked him three times where the trim work in my trunk came from before he really got worried. I honestly had no recollection of clipping my soon and crashing. Mine was nothing compared to yours!

I do wear protective gear except for pants but I do have helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and will continue. If I find the vest too much then I guess it will get stored.

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:16 am

Forgot to mention, I am looking at the high vis.

The Hit Air Motorcycle air bag vest. I'd post a picture but don't have any idea how to do that. The link is:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-MLV-Y ... B01N4N8O41

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 am

That's a tether type vest - so you have a tether to the bike, and when you come off the bike, the tether yanks on the actuator, which inflates the vest.

My problem with it is that I would go through more CO2 cartridges than gasoline, because I would NEVER remember to unclip that damn tether before I got off the bike!!

If I were to buy one of these, it would be one with an electronic sensor - they can detect when you have come off the bike and inflate automatically, no tether required. Unfortunately, they are much more expensive.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:02 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 am
My problem with it is that I would go through more CO2 cartridges than gasoline, because I would NEVER remember to unclip that damn tether before I got off the bike!!
:lol: :lol:
I stopped counting how many times I've done that with the helmet headset cord!
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:40 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 am
That's a tether type vest - so you have a tether to the bike, and when you come off the bike, the tether yanks on the actuator, which inflates the vest.

My helmet comm set is corded also.
Likewise, it reminds me very often "hey dude, take off the helmet" :mrgreen:

John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com