Do you wear your " Helmet "

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
memphismike
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 ABS

Re: Do you wear your " Helmet "

Post by memphismike » Sun May 01, 2016 9:19 am

at 52....yes I wear Helmet all the time...regardless if state law or not. Since the topic looks like it went to ATGATT.....My morning/evening commute to work daily I am. Honestly it is easier for me to slide on Riding pants as I wear a uniform to work anyway. When I hit the locker room I simply peel off the riding pants/jacket and i am dressed for work! I think regarding those who do not wear ATGATT.....Horror Stories may or may not change a person's mind... As soon as I came out of the MSF class originally my goal was to get decent riding gear...that is how I started out and that is how I have continued to this day. I also still have many people here at home depending on me and do not need the risk of further injury in the event of an accident that would put me out of work. I owe it to my Wife/Kids to Dress & Ride Safe. I am a Daily Rider All year long. Let's face it..the more you ride..the more you risk having an accident(knock on wood...none as of yet) Gear simply can help minimize some injury...regarding the heat....I work outdoors 5 days a week in a UPS Truck....so I am use to it....I actually prefer the winter months for riding. 24 degrees last year on many a morning riding in....no problem..easy to put on all the gear then! Ride Safe Gentlemen!

Dark Angel
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800

Post by Dark Angel » Sun May 01, 2016 5:21 pm

A local and forum celebrity! Out on a goldwing.
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's heaven and hell. RJD

smokinmad
Motorcycle: "1999 GL1500 SE"

Post by smokinmad » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:11 am

It's been over 25 years now. Smashed a finger, bad, should not have ridin that day. Was getting on the interstate, in the final curve of the ramp. Looked down, was running 55, so I could merge. The front tire started to wobble, do to a cupping MichelinMan. Last thing I saw, was a reflector pole and I knew I was going to hit it. Over the handlbars I went. I threw my arms and legs out, to stop me from rolling out into the interstate. I got up, picked my bike up, which was heading back down the ramp and went to work.
My boss saw me Hobbling down the isle. He was a Winger, who helped me buy my 1st Wing. I was 25 yo. He looked at me, headed my way "You finally did it", "Are You Ok?"
I think so..
Out the door he went. Well, you did a good job, glad to see you had your helmet on, which was in his hand. He headed up front with it, to show the Harley riders who laughed at us Sissies.
????????????
What did you hit?
Last thing I saw, was the reflector pole, then rolling toward the interstate.
Yep, that is what it was.
??????
On the back of the helmet was an "S" mark.
My head landed on top of the reflector pole....I don't leave home with out it...
As a firefighter, I can tell you, most deadly accidents, happen within only a couple of miles, of HOME.
Oh,,The, "You finally did it", remark. I used to punch my Wing in the gravel, make it "slip". He thought I was being "Stupid". I did it, so I could learn how to handle such a Big Bike, in Loose Gravel, in intersections. It has paid off Many Times Over.......

ksdalet
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Lehman trike

Post by ksdalet » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:37 am

I wear my Nolan 104 an all rides except to coffee, then I wear my half shell. I like to Nolan since I have CB and com along with satellite radio. I would like to find a good headset to put into a half shell for hot weather riding. Currently I have the Ed Set system in my Nolan and I think it is the best out there.

Paulcf
Motorcycle: not listed

Post by Paulcf » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:24 pm

I have never ridden any motorcycle without a helmet on in over 46 years of riding. Never been to a construction site without my full gear on either. No difference. Why strong men (and women) wear all the gear when working and then don't wear a helmet on their motorcycle is beyond comprehension. The human mind is a funny thing, not fully evolved yet apparently.

I got rear ended on my ST1300, a mere 3 miles/5 kms from home. Helmet left a nice divot in the rear of the minivan in front of me. I woke up partly underneath it. I was knocked out. People thought I was dead, but obviously I wasn't, only napping. Helmet saved me. It will save you. 1st responders were amazed, and so was I.

I'm riding behind a nice windshield on my Goldwing. I have my clear visor down on my full face helmet with just a crack open for ventilation. I always wear sunglasses or clear glasses late in the day. A bee hits me square in the face shield. How it got to there I have no idea. Left a mess. Imagine that with just sunglasses on without a helmet? There goes an eye. Gee, now you can be a pirate.

Riding 130 kph on the highway. Temp is 40F and raining. Helmet on, snug and warm and quiet. I can listen to the traffic and weather reports via my helmet mounted speakers. Talk to anyone on a CB radio too. And I can easily hear a siren behind or in front of me because the wind isn't tearing into my ear drums. I arrive home warm and dry, without my ears ringing.

I always wear my helmet. It will save you one day.

ksdalet
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Lehman trike

Post by ksdalet » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:50 am

I totally agree. I had a rock that came off a truck hit my face shield right above my right eye. It left a small chip.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:46 pm

I recall wearing an El-Cheapo helmet (the polycarbonate ones, with the visible seam down the middle - remember those?). Cruising up the highway, and got hit by a june bug (kind of a "flying golf ball" beetle). It hit my helmet, right on the seam a couple of inches above my eyebrows...and split the helmet wide open. The force was enormous - felt like somebody had smacked me in the forehead with a Louisville Slugger, and snapped my head right back. After a few minutes at the roadside (checking my pulse...and my shorts), I was able to carry on. If I hadn't been wearing that helmet, my friends would have been reading my obituary a few days later...

Nowadays, I wear only good-quality, modular-style full-face helmets. I'm not getting any younger, or any more immortal, and I'd like to stick around long enough to be too old to ride!

rick457
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500k Goldwing

Post by rick457 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:53 am

example why you should wear a helmet, period, my cousin was test riding a motorguzzi when going around corner rear tire slid out from under him, slamed him on his back, back of his head hit the road, he wasn't wearing a helmet, was in the hospital in a coma, when he came out of the coma he had to learn how to walk, talk, eat, he was in rehab for months. As far as i know he still won't wear one.
GO Figure? I've be riding on and off road since 1970. I always wear a hemet, Period!!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:14 am

I always wear it except around here in the yard which is not too often.
Whenever I leave the house on the bike, I've got my helmet on. Been awhile since I've had an accident so I don't want to get caught without it. :lol:

Doesn't matter what the law says, I'm going to wear it.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Post by suvcw04 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:20 pm

rick457 wrote:example why you should wear a helmet, period, my cousin was test riding a motorguzzi when going around corner rear tire slid out from under him, slamed him on his back, back of his head hit the road, he wasn't wearing a helmet, was in the hospital in a coma, when he came out of the coma he had to learn how to walk, talk, eat, he was in rehab for months. As far as i know he still won't wear one.
GO Figure? I've be riding on and off road since 1970. I always wear a hemet, Period!!
Cuz is a future organ donor.

Xionsparkle
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by Xionsparkle » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:56 pm

A helmet saved my life in early September when I was rear ended by a texting driver, I was on my project yamaha vision and he hit me going 30 and I was stopped, threw me from the bike and hit my head on the car, if not for the helmet I would be dead or a vegetable. It messed up the helmet good. But I walked away.

Payday Gabe
Motorcycle: 83 GL 1100 i : bagger style. 😎✌
012 Suzuki DL650a Vstrom
92 Yamaha Tdm 850 mk1
75 Moto Guzzi 850t scrambler style (work in progress )
82 CanAm 400 Qualifier enduro
82 Yamaha It 250 enduro
75 Honda TL 250 trials

Post by Payday Gabe » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:01 pm

Yes, , allways! Back in the day(1979 USAF United Kingdom) i was riding home from base , trying to catch up with my roomdogs in the car. About 3 minutes ahead of me. On a road I've ridden a thousand times, , took this sweeping right hander too fast and PLOWED into an old apple tree, about 60mph. Should have killed me, , that tree didn't move a mm.
Compound fracture, lower left tib/fib and a compression fraction of the right wrist. Woke up in the middle of the road, took the helmet off. What the F@%k ! ! Bike on its side, mangled to pieces, puking fuel.. I'm thinking, ,gotta move before this thing lites up.
Went to stand, wrist hurts. Lifted the leg, , it's hanging like a sausage. Oh ****, , I sure hope someone comes along soon.
I ALWAYS, ALWAYS ware the helmet. Ps, it was my roommates bike. Not a good day.

Gib
Motorcycle: 97 goldwing trike 1500
92 goldwing trike 1500
97 1500 goldwing bike

Post by Gib » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:18 pm

Yes, we do wear our helmets. :P

Payday Gabe
Motorcycle: 83 GL 1100 i : bagger style. 😎✌
012 Suzuki DL650a Vstrom
92 Yamaha Tdm 850 mk1
75 Moto Guzzi 850t scrambler style (work in progress )
82 CanAm 400 Qualifier enduro
82 Yamaha It 250 enduro
75 Honda TL 250 trials

Post by Payday Gabe » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:15 pm

Well Yaah. Always. Required here in Nevada. Actually while in Az. several months ago saw riders zipping by and kinda caught me off guard. Like WTF? Until I realized its optional in Az. I would feel uncomfortable without the lid, plus the sunburn factor and wind noise.
Doesn't bother me at all. It's a natural thing.
So yes, always. G. in Vegas.
Merry Christmas and Happy New year.
Ride safe brother's and sister's.

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by rcgreg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:30 pm

Ther are those who wear helmets, and those who don't, lovingly remembered.

GRAPEAPE94
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by GRAPEAPE94 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Last year while riding back to Fl. after visiting my son and granddaughters in Akron my helmet saved my life. I was crossing the Ohio River on I 77 when I caught sight out of the corner of my right eye an object headed my way. The next thing I knew there was a tremendous hit to the upper right side of my head. I couldn't pull off as I was in the left lane and there was a lot of traffic so I stopped at the W. Va. welcome center. When I took of the helmet there were a few bird feathers stuck in the air vents. without the helmet I would have most likely died. As I was I had a killer head ache for many hours.

LACDASWE
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 A

Post by LACDASWE » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Mandatory here in the great white north but the wife and I would wear them all the time anyways.
Road rash is a great teacher..... :oops:

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Post by MiWinger51 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:46 pm

I put on my helmet before I even back out of the garage, I also wear my Hi-Vis Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket always. I'm looking into Bohn Armor for leg protection. Does anyone use it?
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Mon May 01, 2017 7:52 pm

I would feel naked without my helmet.
When I cross over to Pennsylvania, I see so many people riding without helmets.
I think they're nuts. :shock:
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Doylestownbuck
Motorcycle: 82 Goldwing gl1100 aspencade

Post by Doylestownbuck » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:47 am

I live in Ohio no helmet law 51 yrs old have rode all my life. I choose not to wear a helmet. Just came back from 1800 mile trip with my better half WV / KY/TNN/NC/VA could not wait to get back to Oh to get it off. Now saying that since we don't normally were helmets mine are outdated and i feel like it effects my vision and hearing i allways drive like im invisible. First thing dad told me when got first street. we are going to go by new ones this week for trips out of Ohio but one of the things that keep me on 2 wheels is wind in my hair and feeling of freedom. I know odds in wreck but hell i there's risks in everything so if you where them good for you but don't judge me because i don't

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:44 am

Very lucky, that you have not been touched by a bee, bird, or a rock thrown up by another vehicle, but I wish you well in your riding and may you ride well.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Post by cyberlon » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:55 am

redial wrote:Very lucky, that you have not been touched by a bee, bird, or a rock thrown up by another vehicle, but I wish you well in your riding and may you ride well.
Even small birds hurt A LOT when you hit them at 70mph. I've never seen or been knocked off by a bird, but I've heard horror stories about it happening from friends. Hitting one driving my cage creates brown courage in the seat area occasionally.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:59 pm

cyberlon wrote:
redial wrote:Very lucky, that you have not been touched by a bee, bird, or a rock thrown up by another vehicle, but I wish you well in your riding and may you ride well.
Even small birds hurt A LOT when you hit them at 70mph. I've never seen or been knocked off by a bird, but I've heard horror stories about it happening from friends. Hitting one driving my cage creates brown courage in the seat area occasionally.
I hit one with my GL1100 - it swooped right across in front of me and hit my windshield. A huge WHACK and an explosion of feathers all around me. I could feel the impact through the handlebars, I sure wouldn't want to hit that with my helmet, let alone my face!

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade SEI 1200

Post by Mountain rider » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Short answer, yes. I tried going without once or twice, felt absolutely exposed. Personally, I rather keep my rugged good looks in tact. ;)

coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Post by coolrogue1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Here in Arizona helmets are "optional" as well. We did have a helmet law decades ago but it only lasted a couple of years before it got repealed by popular vote... It was a badly written law and riders were wearing their helmets on their knees and elbows...

As for me the only time I don't wear a helmet is if I'm riding within sight of my house. Yes they are hot, Yes they are heavy, Yes many consider them un-cool, but I've crashed before and have been hit in the head by a bird (imagine all those feathers and guts in your eyes, nose and mouth instead of your faceshield)..I will continue to wear my helmet each and everytime I ride...

Sam