HELP! Travelling. Broke down in Liberal KS. Refer mechanic

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

HELP! Travelling. Broke down in Liberal KS. Refer mechanic

Postby ekcyclerepair » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:13 pm

Can anyone recommend a good GoldWing mechanic near Liberal , or Dodge City KS? A good customer of mine is travelling from N. Carolina to CA and his 86 GL1200 broke down in Liberal KS. He just called me, asking for help in diagnosing the problem. From what he described, it sounds like like the pulse coils are bad.

Is there a good tech at the Honda dealer in LIberal, or Dodge City? Any bike salvage yards that might have GL1200 parts?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: HELP! Travelling. Broke down in Liberal KS. Refer mechan

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:43 pm

don't know anyone personally but I copied this for you , maybe it will help your customer..http://www.trikecorral.com/states/ks/kansas.htm

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:02 am

Dont know about dealers or techs but willy's cycle salvage " google that they have a website and phone number in AL probably has the parts and can over night them about anyplace. Whiteys site probably has them too but would take alot longer to get them probably.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:53 am

Situations like this is where the GWRRA Gold Book is invaluable.

I'll check mine and see if there is anyone in the area that he could call.

Have you got any update??
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

Postby ekcyclerepair » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I saw my customers wife at the flea market today, and she said that Fred and his buddy were able to make it to Dodge City, where they're going to hang around until the Honda dealer opens Tue morning. Looks like they'll be losing 4-6 days of riding time. :( Oh well, they're both retired, so hopefully they don't have any other constraints that will keep them fom continuing on the rest of their trip. It's all part of the adventure I guess.

The Dodge City police dept., was very friendly and helpful. I called them, explained the situation, and asked if they had any officers who were into motorcycles. I was hoping to find someone who could refer us to a good shop/mechanic. Within a few minutes, officer Kolbeck called me. It turns out he knows the techs at the Honda shop and highly recommended them. I also cantacted a few GWRRA members in that area. All very helpful and friendly.

Thanks again. Will post an update when they get back on the road.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”