RE; Speedometer cable lubrication

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

RE; Speedometer cable lubrication

Postby wally » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:07 pm

What is the easiest way to get at and lubricate the speedometer cable? Mine has been making some noise and jumping around a bit. Can you get at it through the headlight, or does the fairing have to be removed?

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: RE; Speedometer cable lubrication

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:31 am

wally wrote:What is the easiest way to get at and lubricate the speedometer cable? Mine has been making some noise and jumping around a bit. Can you get at it through the headlight, or does the fairing have to be removed?

Wally our Wing-Adm has nice pictures and how to replace your Speedometer.What people don't rememeber is how to to a search for just about any thing on this site.In the upper right hand corner you will see a blank box to
insert your wording for what ever you are looking for.You can credit our ( WING-ADM ) for this great site and all the work he has put into it. Just put in a few key words,and up will come many a artical on any subject.

Now go try it and see that I'm not wrong :) :) :)

WA9FWT Phil

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: RE; Speedometer cable lubrication

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:42 am

Yup, have a look at How to remove and replace your speedometer cable - it gives step-by-step instructions.

What I would suggest is to remove the top end, and spray graphite lubricant into it until it starts to drip out the bottom. Then reinstall.

The graphite lubricant has a highly volatile carrier that evaporates very quickly, leaving behind a dry graphite layer that is extremely slippery.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”