Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dan hefta
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Standard

Postby dan hefta » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:42 am

Hi All,

My name is Dan, I am 46 years old. I just bought my first motorcycle this year, it's a 1983 Goldwing HL1100 Standard. I have put over 1000 miles on it in the last couple of months. I have always loved bikes just never pulled the trigger and got one, until now! I bought it for $1300 and had to rebuild the carbs right from the start, she runs great now. I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to all of you. I am sure that I will have a lot of technical questions and will add whatever I can too. Thanks, Dan

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: New Member

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:32 am

Welcome to the group Dan.You have a great looker there.
Before you go too much further I strongly suggest replacing the timing belts,not just looking at them,REPLACE THEM.
It takes a few hours but you don't even want to take a chance on one slipping or breaking,it can destroy that great engine.

dan hefta

Postby dan hefta » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:41 am

virgilmobile wrote:Welcome to the group Dan.You have a great looker there.
Before you go too much further I strongly suggest replacing the timing belts,not just looking at them,REPLACE THEM.
It takes a few hours but you don't even want to take a chance on one slipping or breaking,it can destroy that great engine.

Thanks for the advise... The previous owner said it was done about 10-15000 miles ago... How many miles can the belts have on them before I need to worry about it?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:03 pm

dan hefta wrote:Thanks for the advise... The previous owner said it was done about 10-15000 miles ago... How many miles can the belts have on them before I need to worry about it?

You can get 50,000 miles easily on a set of belts. They are also age-limited, so a low-mileage set of belts should be changed after a number of years as well.

The problem is...the previous owner of my 1100 said that a lot of things were "just done" - even simple things like plugs and air filter. When I pulled it apart, I discovered that they obviously hadn't been changed in quite some time.

When I get a "new to me" bike, I treat it as if it has never had any maintenance of any kind, and I do EVERYTHING, all at once. That way I know where I'm starting from, and I'm not basing my bike's life (and potentially my own life) on the possibly inaccurate statements of a previous owner motivated to sell the bike.

dan hefta

Postby dan hefta » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:09 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
dan hefta wrote:Thanks for the advise... The previous owner said it was done about 10-15000 miles ago... How many miles can the belts have on them before I need to worry about it?

You can get 50,000 miles easily on a set of belts. They are also age-limited, so a low-mileage set of belts should be changed after a number of years as well.

The problem is...the previous owner of my 1100 said that a lot of things were "just done" - even simple things like plugs and air filter. When I pulled it apart, I discovered that they obviously hadn't been changed in quite some time.

When I get a "new to me" bike, I treat it as if it has never had any maintenance of any kind, and I do EVERYTHING, all at once. That way I know where I'm starting from, and I'm not basing my bike's life (and potentially my own life) on the possibly inaccurate statements of a previous owner motivated to sell the bike.

That is very good advise... thanks

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Welcome to the site Dan from Sheboygan WI. I see you got our Wing -Adm right off the bat so you are on a roll.
The advise he gave is so true.When you ask some one if they check and change there oil or what ever it is always a big YES!!!! ;) ;) ;) I think guys are to proud to admit that they really didn't take care of it the proper way.

I repair lawnmowers now that I'm retired in my garage, and Sat one came in with a problem.He was going to show me whats wrong by starting it. I said ,let me check a few things before you do. First thing I checked was the oil, what oil.....nothing in it. Geee he said , I just checked it! So over I went to the garage and added oil to his engine
before running it. So the best bet is not to take any one's word that things were done, like the Wing -Adm says.
I'm sure your enjoying that new ride....

WA9FWT Phil

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Welcome to the board! Nice, especially for a first bike!
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

dan hefta

Postby dan hefta » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:16 am

GreenDragon wrote:Welcome to the board! Nice, especially for a first bike!

Thanks I am loving it... most people don't know it's a Goldwing, until they get up close and see the emblems.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”