My First Bike-82 Interstate

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
rodee71
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 Interstate
1993 1500 Aspencade

My First Bike-82 Interstate

Postby rodee71 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:56 am

Hey, guys, what a great site this is! I'm reading threads every day and I never fail to learn something important about my new ride. I just got it May 25. It was a gift from my fiance. BTW, I turned 64 in March. It's an '82 Interstate and had 11,784 miles on it. It was owned by two consecutive former Winchester, Va., policemen, who mainly rode it in city parades, like the Apple Blossom Festival. It had all the police gear/lights on it, but of course I had to take it all off and box it up (I'm adding LED driving lites on the empty mounts soon). There's a tag on the dash above the right side glovebox that says "Unit 39-Custom made for John Hawse-WPD". There's one place on the right side fairing, a whitish rubbing, that happened when it fell over against an '84 Buick Grand National. I will repair that myself. Other than that, there's very little evidence of road wear, except the front tire needs replacement pretty soon. And probably the rear, too.
Before I cranked it up, I added a little MMO to the cylinders, left the plugs out overnite and spun the motor, just to be safe. The bike was sitting for 3+ years, so I wanted to be very careful. As soon as I hit the starter, it fired. What a beautiful sound, although the carbs need to be synced.
So far, I've replaced the timing belts (they looked pristine, but might have been the originals. They had Honda on them), rebuilt the rear caliper and added new brakes front and rear. I changed out the coolant with a flush. Of course, the first thing I did was an oil and filter change. Yesterday I changed the air filter. I greased the shaft, too.
Everything, all the lights, even the combo radio/CB, works to perfection. Obviously, the bike was well cared for, garage-kept and serviced regularly. I know how lucky I am, both to find this lady, who cared enough to give this to me, and to receive such an awesome gift, at this time in my life. Thank you, Lord!
I just want to say, again, what a great site. And Wingadmin, I couldn't have done the work on it without your How-To's. They are Fabulous! You have done the Wing community a great service with the hours and hours it took to make them. You are truly gifted, and I thank you.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: My First Bike-82 Interstate

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:35 am

Wow, that's a great find! Sounds like you really lucked into a great bike, and you're doing just the right things to care for it.

rodee71
1993 1500 Aspencade

Postby rodee71 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 am

Thanks, Wingman. Again, really appreciate the How-To's. Here's another pic of the '82. BTW, I read your post on your trip to pick up your new trailer. We take that trip down to Moorefield, WV, you show in the pic of your bike on Corridor H whenever we get the chance. The views are fabulous. If you ever have a chance, stop in at the Lost River Cafe in Wardensville, for an excellent meal.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:52 am

rodee71 wrote:Thanks, Wingman. Again, really appreciate the How-To's. Here's another pic of the '82. BTW, I read your post on your trip to pick up your new trailer. We take that trip down to Moorefield, WV, you show in the pic of your bike on Corridor H whenever we get the chance. The views are fabulous. If you ever have a chance, stop in at the Lost River Cafe in Wardensville, for an excellent meal.

You're right, the views are just stunning there - I wish I was not on such a tight schedule, because I would have been stopping to take a LOT of pictures along the way. I'm going to have to do it again at some point.

chrissvitak
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby chrissvitak » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:53 pm

WOW!! Rodee71 ....It really is amazing. I just picked up a 1983 GL 1100 Interstate in MINT condidtion (51K original miles) last weekend for a mere $1500. I have not been riding in more than 20 years and just got back on. All I can say is ... "what GREAT therapy" for a long days work. I look forward to getting out of work and simply going for a cruise...with my wife in tow.

Can't wait to move up to a newer model. Ride safe my friend!
1983 GL 1100 Interstate

Goldwing Rider for Life
OH Yah!!

rodee71
1993 1500 Aspencade

Postby rodee71 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:15 am

Great find there, Chris! It's been 30+ years since I last rode (just about the time this bike came on the market). I've always thought I would saddle up again, but who would have thought it would be on the model I use to dream about. And, it was a gift from the one I love. I'm riding it to work when the weather permits. Put about 1200 miles on it, just turned 13,000. I feel like the motor is finally loosening up a little, getting her cruising around 60 now. She's been a parade bike all her life, so I'm taking it easy on her. Put some pics of your bike in the gallery. I put a few of mine in yesterday. Love to see them.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”