Not a wing But does anyone know.....

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Not a wing But does anyone know.....

Postby Sally » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:07 pm

It's not a Goldwing But does anyone have first hand knowledge about the Can AM spiders ? Thinking of looking at one..Sally

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Re: Not a wing But does anyone know.....

Postby seabee_ » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:45 pm

I hear they take some getting used to because it's a reverse trike. Some say slow speed turning is a bit difficult because of turning two car type tires. Best thing to do is try test driving one to see if you like the style.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Go check out Spyderlovers.com . But you might look at what it takes just to change oil on them to begin with and then check out the software issues the bikes are having. Limp mode puts a whole new meaning to riding a Spyder. The missus and I looked at them and they seemed to still have bugs in them after all of these years.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:43 am

You certainly need to test one before making your decision!
I have tested the Roadster model, not the Spyder. Having said that, I found the "ride" to be smooth and the steering easy!
Dislikes:
1. Rotax engine seems high rpms, some vibration and a LOT of heat
2. Poor gas mileage as compared to my Wing/Hannigan
There seems to be a lot of discussion about "concerns", causing returns to the dealer for warranty work. So much so, I would not consider a Can-Am at this time.
But then that's why there are several brands on the market. My dislikes would be another's likes!
Here's the Can-Am forum:
http://www.canamspyderforums.com/cmps_index.php

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:03 am

There are some Can-Am models that have power-assisted steering because of the wide front wheels, which are tough to turn at low speeds with handlebars. As for the Rotax engines - well, they work great in snowmobiles and jet-skis (which is where they are derived from), not so sure I would like them in a bike/trike. The Rotax engines do need high revs to develop their power, which is why they are always geared when used in small airplanes.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:42 am

I was at the local dealer last week & they sell them, I sat on one and it felt comfortable, I like the look but I don't think I would like them? Just dosen't seem right!
A bit off subject but, Why is it you never see a BMW triked? I have seen many different types of trikes but never a BMW!?
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:42 am

tandem54 wrote:I was at the local dealer last week & they sell them, I sat on one and it felt comfortable, I like the look but I don't think I would like them? Just dosen't seem right!
A bit off subject but, Why is it you never see a BMW triked? I have seen many different types of trikes but never a BMW!?

Here ya go, Plenty of them around:
Attachments

Sally

Postby Sally » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks for the replys I did visit spyderlover.com have to say I'm kinda thinking of staying away from them now. this problem with "limp mode" scares the hell out of me.I have an appointment to test one next Friday will let you know then .. Sally :D

pick126
Motorcycle: 2003 GL 1800

Postby pick126 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:33 am

Sally wrote:It's not a Goldwing But does anyone have first hand knowledge about the Can AM spiders ? Thinking of looking at one..Sally

I looked at one but could not see spending that amount of money on a 900cc machine plus no local dealer and dealer network is small if you tour much. I wound up with a Gold Wing with California Side Car (trike) conversion.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Took a roadster for a ride and the first thing I didn't like about the bike was the shifting. Normally you roll off the throttle, pull in the clutch, upshift, release the clutch. O this you roll off the throttle, push a button to upshift, roll on the throttle. The engine does not loose rpm so when you upshift you get a power surge thru the drivetrain. How long will this drivetrain last taking this kind of abuse?Downshifting is easy, you put your foot on the brake and as you slow down the transmission downshifts on it's own.For somebody that has trouble handling normal shifting this would be a definate improvement, but for the normal person that has experience shifting a cycle this would be a mechanical wear and tear hazard that will need more repair than anybody will need to worry about.
Proud member Patriot Guard

saltmar14
Motorcycle: 2004 gl1800 1985 gl1200 limited edition
1982 cm250c

Postby saltmar14 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:14 am

my friend was looking at them and gw trikes decided on the wing as the say they don't pull trailers well, not enough power.

Sally

Postby Sally » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Well I went on that test ride today..I just don't think I'm ready for three wheels yet. Not saying it was bad a little different only rode 6 miles I can get use to the handling not so sure about the power ?? not the wing. I had to take an automatic would not buy one of them I want to shift I also think it would help on power.For 27 K I want to be able to plug helmet in to listen to tunes also with intercom.that's an add on of $800 bucks.Trunk is way to small no helmets going in there or side bags for that matter which leave front trunk only. Would also like two brakes.But I did like the ride and they have really great instrutments every thing seem to be at your finger tips lots of standard features too.Over all in ten years may ride another but for now the wing what I'm staying with.. Sally

Return to “Goldwing Chat”