2012 Goldwing in the wind

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
nepadj
Motorcycle: 2012 gl1800

2012 Goldwing in the wind

Postby nepadj » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:35 pm

Hello all, I am a new wing owner, (2012 White ABS) got her a few months ago. I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem when riding (or TRYING to ride) on a windy day. The wing acts like a sail on a boat & "CATCHES" the wind. It's been REALLY scary a few times, as we actually were "Pushed" into opposing traffic. I almost needed to change my shorts a few times!!! I NEVER had this problem with my 08 Roadstar Silverado! I love riding her otherwise, but park it if the trees are bending at all..!!!
I welcome ANY input or suggestions..Ride Safe & God Bless!

saltmar14
Motorcycle: 2004 gl1800 1985 gl1200 limited edition
1982 cm250c

Re: 2012 Goldwing in the wind

Postby saltmar14 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:24 am

here in las vegas we get pretty strong gusts that can blow you around pretty good. a few years ago i had a honda 500 with a fairing, when i would get up on the fwy i was blown so hard with out any warnning and would end up 1-2 lanes over, i was lucky i didn't hit any body so i decided if i ever got another bike it would be a goldwing due to size and power. i have just started to ride again after many years on 4 wheels, i have a wing and i am learning to ride all over again. the first few windy days where a challenge and i felt like parking and waiting the wind out. a few weeks ago my wife and i went on our first trip together to the gwrra sw convention in St. George, Utah, the trip there was extremly windy to the point we did not enjoy it and we where pulling a trailer for the first time that would sometimes whip which was a new expeience, we went slower than the speed limit. experienced riders at the convention also stated that the strong winds where unplesant to the point many activities where cancelled, the wind got so strong that as i pulled out of a parking lot i leaned into the turn but wind blew me over the opposite direction and almost went down with my nervous wife i luckly caught us with my foot in the middle of the lane. the point of this is this, since riding on an angle fighting the wind that day the gusts that used to bother me around town are almost no longer noticable except i welcome them cooling me down a little, it all comes to experience.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:37 am

They make engine underpanels that fit under the bottom of the GL1800 (and GL1500). They streamline the bottom of the bike, and from what I've heard from others, it makes a big difference in the ability of the GL1800 to handle crosswinds. On the GL1800, it gives you the added advantage of protecting the plastic coolant reservoir, which is susceptible to damage from road debris.

Mike 545
Motorcycle: Blue 2012 GL1800
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby Mike 545 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:53 pm

Where can one get the engine underpanels?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:54 pm

I know Cyclemax usually has them, but they're only showing the GL1500 version, which means they must be temporarily out of stock on the GL1800 version (they remove things from the site when they don't have stock to fill orders).

Here's a different version:

http://www.allamericanprod.com/tulsabp.html

AZWinger
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Postby AZWinger » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:17 pm

The best advice I've heard (and try to follow) is to keep a more relaxed grip on the handlebars. No deathgrip. I know it's scary. Here in Arizona we get what are called micro-bursts. These sudden bursts of wind can top 70 mph. In the 12 years I've been riding, I've run into three of them; mostly head-on. It's almost like hitting a brick wall. Remember, you've got a lot of 'tupperware' covering all parts of the Goldwing, and the wind is going to push you around somewhat, because there's no open spaces for it to flow through your bike. As far as the undercarriage, (belly pan) you can do a search on Wingstuff.com and there are several models available for the 1800. I replaced an older aluminum one with a vented stainless steel. They run from about $45 to $70. Some say they help with wind control, but I couldn't say for sure, since I've always had one installed. The reason most of us use them is because of rocks and other road debris that can be kicked up by the front wheel and rip a hole in the oil filter or cause other damage to the undercarriage. The belly pan prevents this from happening. For windy days, take it slower and relax (as much as you can - I know it sounds patronizing), but it helps. I know those crosswinds can be very scary. Good luck and enjoy that 2012.
Jeff
"Memories are the most expensive things in the world - you pay for them with chunks of your life."

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:25 pm

While riding west through Kansas several years ago, we were on two lane, 1 each direction. The first day the wind was from the south and blowing steady at about 20 knots. The 2nd day it switched to the opposite direction at blew at about the same speed. Handling that was not an issue, you just stayed leaning into the wind. The problem was passing the freight liners (tractor trailers). When the would pass in the opposite direction, they blocked the wind, sudden stop/start, then left with their own mini blast as they past. You learn very quickly how to handle changes in wind speed and direction. Another part of the problem was that not all the trucks left their own mini blast. So you never knew quite what to expect. Stay relaxed and head up!
One nice thing about it was that my tires were nicely rounded! ;-]

Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”