1100 miles around Ireland

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
ripsaw
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Aspencade

1100 miles around Ireland

Postby ripsaw » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:03 am

I have just returned from Ireland after having covered 1100 miles. My bike is amazing given it's age (1986). Never missed a beat, motorway riding was an absolute pleasure. Not so nice on the narrow twisty roads but it coped well all the same. Hats off to a great machine (1986 1200 Aspencade)

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: 1100 miles around Ireland

Postby thrasherg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:55 am

Why is this in the Just for Fun section? Sounds like a great ride, it should be in the goldwing Chat forum with lots of pictures!! :D

Gary

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Postby zamboni920 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Ripsaw wrote: "Not so nice on the narrow twisty roads......"

Could you explain what your experience was, making you write this? Those kind of roads are my favorites.....and my '84 GL1200 also .
Sounds like a great trip you had. When I was in England , many years ago, riding my GL1000 , favorite part was the twisty roads on Jersey .

ripsaw

Postby ripsaw » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:34 am

thrasherg wrote:Why is this in the Just for Fun section? Sounds like a great ride, it should be in the goldwing Chat forum with lots of pictures!! :D

Gary

Sorry new to the site, not really sure where to have put it. I think there may be some pics flying around somewhere too.

ripsaw

Postby ripsaw » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:50 am

zamboni920 wrote:Ripsaw wrote: "Not so nice on the narrow twisty roads......"

Could you explain what your experience was, making you write this? Those kind of roads are my favorites.....and my '84 GL1200 also .
Sounds like a great trip you had. When I was in England , many years ago, riding my GL1000 , favorite part was the twisty roads on Jersey .

Well the point is that with a pillion passenger I had to slow right down to almost a crawl in the narrowest parts. Some of the roads were almost like farm lanes which were not particularly well maintained with potholes, cattle muck and stones. It meant that some times I had a bunch of cars behind just waiting for me to get out of the way as the parts I am referring to were too narrow and not straight enough for anyone to over take. I wrote this because my bike is long in the tooth (so to speak) so I had bought another tourer which I had planned to take to Ireland. I found out the day I went that I needed to replace 2 radiators on it so I was left with my old wing which I thought may not be reliable enough. But basically it turned out to be a great experience and the wing was amazing. Motorway riding was an absolute pleasure. Maybe 1 day I will be able to take a tour along longer straighter roads like the Scottish comedian Billy Connolly's trip across Route 66.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:12 pm

I have driven a small car in Ireland, and after the roads in Oz, it was a bit of challenge at times. There is a definite lack of advisory signs, and they revert to painting them on the road.

One set of signs intrigued me, Caution, Slow, and Dead Slow on the one piece of road. I took that to mean to slow down from the 80Km/h (50 MPH), and try and get around the corner with a narrow bridge on the other side, and a tractor coming the other way. The Irish seem to use tractors instead of cars!

There is nothing worse than motoring down a country road, one lane of bitumen, stone walls on both sides within 2 feet of the bitumen, and a tractor comes around the corner!! Someone has to back up until you come across a driveway or similar, and it sure isnt going to be the tractor :roll: It sure hones up the driving skills.

Beautiful place, beautiful people, but would I want to live there? - NO - too wet, too cold, and too windy, but still a great place to visit. Guiness in Ireland tastes so much better.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”