Ouch - hurt myself

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Ouch - hurt myself

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:15 pm

So my wife and I took the MSF ERC course yesterday - her for the first time, me for the third. She did amazingly well, considering she's only been riding for a year and a bit.

I found that one of my bad riding habits was in fact a really bad thing to do - and it bit me.

When I am really leaning into a corner, for whatever reason - from years of habit, I guess, I rotate the foot closest to the ground outward, so that the first thing that touches the ground (before my footpeg) is the outer sole of my boot. I suppose it gives me an "early warning" that I'm about to drag my footpegs on the ground. I must do it a fair bit, because the soles of my boots are kind of ground away at the toes.

This is fine when I'm in a sweeping turn, or on-ramp, or whatever - at 30+ mph, it just grinds my boot sole away, no harm done.

However...when at 10-15 mph, doing the "S-turn" exercise, it does something quite different, I learned - the hard way.

I was in the last, left hand turn portion of the S-turn. On the 1500, you REALLY have to lean it to get it through that turn, keep the speed up a bit and use some counterbalancing (shifting your body to the opposite direction of the turn) to keep it stable. I was constantly dragging my boots (and my foot pegs) through the exercise. However...on this particular attempt, instead of just sliding along, rubbing away boot sole material, I expect because of the low speed, my boot caught and GRABBED on the ground. It ripped my foot off my footpeg, and jammed it up against the passenger footboard, skinning my heel through the boot (leaving a good mark on the heel of the boot as well). Because the boot was still on the ground at this point, and the heel was now jammed up against the footboard with nowhere to go, it jammed the toe downward and rotated the boot left, wrenching my ankle, and then pulling my foot back toward the back of the bike. All of this happened in a fraction of a second. I was totally destabilized on the bike as a result, and knew I was in trouble, so (by instinct, I suppose) I goosed the throttle to straighten the bike up, hung on the bars, and managed to pull my foot back on board. I then stopped the bike and shut my eyes against the pain for a minute or so. OWWWWW

It gradually subsided, and I went through the last two hours of the course, but limping a bit whenever we were walking around, and my upshifts were kind of painful. I got home, saw the swelling and put some ice on it.

No damage to the bike apart from a big black mark from the sole of my boot where it jammed up against the passenger footboard. That will come off easily enough. But I think I'm on the disabled list for a few days - no riding, it hurts too much to upshift, and walking around hurts.

I think this is what it will take to break me of that really bad habit, however. I'm pretty sure I'll be very shy of sticking my foot out in turns anymore!

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: Ouch - hurt myself

Postby HALBUDD » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Hope your foot heals up all right,good thing it was only on the course and not out on the road. Hope you get to feeling better and back to ridding . Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:07 pm

Sorry to hear about your foot mishap, but thanks for the explanation so we can all learn from it. It's almost the same type of mishap when taking off from a stop light or where ever and you drag your feet on take-off and your feet too close into the bike get sucked back and wedged under the foot boards. It happened to me once (luckily I didn't hurt or break anything) but you do learn from that bad habit too! I hope you heal quickly.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:51 pm

The way you described that I could almost feel the pain myself, wow. Before I went to a trike I was guily of doing the same thing at times and once in awhile I got a remindernot to do that but all I ended up with was scrubbed up boots. Hope you heal fast and learn quick.
Proud member Patriot Guard

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:53 am

Man I bet that "smarted"! :cry:
I am taking an Advanced Riders Course in Omaha on 8/19/2012 and am seriously thinking about taking my Wing instead of the CB750 I have. Since I put most of my milage on with the Wing I feel I would get the most out of the class by using the Wing...

AZWinger
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Postby AZWinger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:05 pm

My thanks too for posting about your mishap. Not too many will admit to bad habits, but you probably saved someone from doing the same thing. That's why we're all here, right? To help others, and YOU did just that. Hope you heal fast and get on the road quickly.

P.S. I'd post some of MY bad habits here, but it would take up too much room. :P
Jeff
"Memories are the most expensive things in the world - you pay for them with chunks of your life."

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:40 pm

I have to admit I do exactly the same thing on my bikes, Those foot pegs are a Looooooonnng way over and I like a little early warning. I have also had my foot pulled from the peg by some very aggressive pavement at hyw. speed. I dont stick quite as much out any more and after reading WingAdmins OP I may not do it at all anymore. Thanks for shareing and I hope you heal quickly. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:33 am

I know I turn my left toe out whne cruising, but I am not sure about when cornering, I suspect if I am doing it when cruising I am also doing it when cornering. Gona have to watch this...... Good luck Wing Admin and thanks for the post and description

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:42 am

Sorry to hear about your owa ! But you must be proud that the wife is doing so well. I bet she said what did you do ? to get hurt! One thing that doesn't happen with me any more is feet off the pegs.With the wheel kit installed the only time my feet meet the ground is to back up.I even removed the boards so my feet are now flat on the ground so I can push in backwards. It doesn't take much to move it like this at all.

Did the coarse also teach you some new tricks.They say it does, no matter how long you have been on a cycle. Hope you heal soon... :)

WA9FWT Phil

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:52 am

WA9FWT wrote:Sorry to hear about your owa ! But you must be proud that the wife is doing so well. I bet she said what did you do ? to get hurt! One thing that doesn't happen with me any more is feet off the pegs.With the wheel kit installed the only time my feet meet the ground is to back up.I even removed the boards so my feet are now flat on the ground so I can push in backwards. It doesn't take much to move it like this at all.

Did the coarse also teach you some new tricks.They say it does, no matter how long you have been on a cycle. Hope you heal soon... :)

It didn't teach me anything new (I've taken it a few times, so I know the curriculum fairly well) - but I never come away without finding some bad habit or another that I need to fix. Funny how those bad habits creep in over time without you realizing them. :)

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:46 pm

Maybe you could hook up some "curb feelers"...Angle them the same as your foot. :)
How bout another sensor input to your bike PC... :D Warning Warning Will Robertson...........
Na..just funnin...It looks like the cockpit of a Cessna now as it is.

wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:31 pm

I think Virgil is on to something with the sensor except don't use the curb feelers but a digital angle reader hooked to an alarm or warning light. You could have the alarm go off just before the pegs hit. I know you could rig that up for your bike then market it. You will be able to save a lot of feet and shoes! :D :D :lol:

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Pull up Pullup warning Pullup Pullup I can hear it now WingAdmin wont know weather to lean or trim flaps haha Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:24 pm

HALBUDD wrote:Pull up Pullup warning Pullup Pullup I can hear it now WingAdmin wont know weather to lean or trim flaps haha Hal

Here's a funny story: Back when I was in flight school, I would spend several hours every day flying - usually 2-3 hours at a time, twice a day. I would go for days, sometimes a week without driving my car.

One day while driving into town to get some groceries, I had someone jam their brakes on in front of me. My response? I didn't hit my brakes, instead, I yanked back on my steering wheel, to make my car fly up and over the car in front of me.

For some reason, that didn't work, and I quickly realized that I needed to use my brakes before I plowed into the guy. :)

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:32 am

WingAdmin wrote:
HALBUDD wrote:Pull up Pullup warning Pullup Pullup I can hear it now WingAdmin wont know weather to lean or trim flaps haha Hal

Here's a funny story: Back when I was in flight school, I would spend several hours every day flying - usually 2-3 hours at a time, twice a day. I would go for days, sometimes a week without driving my car.

One day while driving into town to get some groceries, I had someone jam their brakes on in front of me. My response? I didn't hit my brakes, instead, I yanked back on my steering wheel, to make my car fly up and over the car in front of me.

For some reason, that didn't work, and I quickly realized that I needed to use my brakes before I plowed into the guy. :)

Try to explain that one if you had hit the guy to the officer :lol: :lol: That was a good one for sure.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:20 am

Wow, I just now saw this...that would have torn my knee apart for sure, I have this fear of hanging up my pants or boot on something then I can't put my foot down at a stop light and completely falling over, I don't have that foot habit like you are describing and I'm glad for that..Sounds like you sprained it pretty good..sometimes a bad sprain hurt worse than a break..I'm glad it wasn't worse...that place of all places to happen :shock: :shock: ..Oh crap..Did the instructor see that happen..? :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:43 am

Nope, nobody saw it happen!

The sprain is just about healed, but I really bruised the bone in my heel, where it was rammed up against the passenger footboard. That still hurts like hell, so much so that I went and got it x-rayed yesterday to make sure it wasn't chipped. I'm thinking it's just a good bruise, but the Boss wanted me to get it checked. :)

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:16 am

like someone else mentioned, I also have a bad habit of starting to drag my feet just before stopping at lights...a couple of times when the light changed before I got completely stopped, I hit the gas...ooops, feet still dragging, fling up against the floor boards...yep....jammed.....pain....ouch.....I can feel it again...hope you get better quick.

glassbebo
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Postby glassbebo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:45 am

Here's to a speedy recovery, thanks for the post, my lesson was from a 4 wheeler after many years of motorcycle riding, almost pulled me completely off, tire burns thru my jeans and a big bruise.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”