Incorrect Title

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
late2theparty
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Incorrect Title

Postby late2theparty » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi all, I'm a biker's son who, as my name suggests is late to the party. After storing my dad's 1982 GL1100I for 10 years, I'm finally ready to try and get it out and return it to its former glory. However, while looking into the exact model and details on the bike, I've realized the title refers to a CL1100I, instead of GL1100I. I've double checked the VIN and according to that, it is a GL1100I. Is the title being incorrect going to cause me issues? And does anyone know what needs to be done to correct it?

To compound the problem, I never had it tagged the whole time it was in storage, so I'm sure I'll run into fun times trying to get tags for it again.

Any suggestions on how I can take care of these couple of issues?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Incorrect Title

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:55 pm

******** I am not a lawyer a cop or work for the DMV.
********************I will never give advice on legal matters......however......
This is my 2 cents worth.
Is the title in your name?

If it is,you can take it to the DMV and explain that it's been stored for 10 years and you would like to have it assessed(for taxes) and register it without tags.
*********The bike is not running or roadworthy and needs to be restored.********
A tax is applied to the condition of the bike at the time that you register it(not license it),either blue book,assessed value,or bill of sale price,so keep it's value low.

If your state charges you a tax on your vehicle for each year you own it,you could "sell"it to get a clean new title and a new tax assessment.
Nebraska would charge you tax on the blue book value for every year that it was off the tax roll.They are a property tax state.
I actually,I junked a car because they wanted more than it was worth in back taxes because it was off the road for 6 years.The combined tax on the depreciated value for it was near $1000.It was a $800 old car.

Here in Louisianan,when I pay the tax fee on a newly acquired vehicle,it it the only time I pay that tax.After that I only have to pay a registration fee and/or plate fee.

If the title is not in your name.As per each states requirements,get a bill of sale for a non running old bike in as is condition for $200 and do the same thing....Pay the tax and title fee first, get the bike in your name with all the fees paid,get it roadworthy then tag it.

The DMV takes a dim view of a great running $200 bike ready to hit the road.

I "bought" my 88 gl1500 for $250 in "non-running as is "condition( I think I mentioned that the motor was bad).Transfered the title and paid the sales tax.Total for that day was $75.Two weeks later and with $75 insurance I got the $20 license plate.
If I had taken the bike down for assessment after I repaired it ,the tax would have been near $600.

Don't dwell on the clerical error.I doubt anybody will notice....

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:09 pm

late2theparty wrote:Hi all, I'm a biker's son who, as my name suggests is late to the party. After storing my dad's 1982 GL1100I for 10 years, I'm finally ready to try and get it out and return it to its former glory. However, while looking into the exact model and details on the bike, I've realized the title refers to a CL1100I, instead of GL1100I. I've double checked the VIN and according to that, it is a GL1100I. Is the title being incorrect going to cause me issues? And does anyone know what needs to be done to correct it?

To compound the problem, I never had it tagged the whole time it was in storage, so I'm sure I'll run into fun times trying to get tags for it again.

Any suggestions on how I can take care of these couple of issues?

Call the local DMV. The "C to a G" is no big deal, they can sort that out for the owner...hopefully that is you.
"No tags" will require whatever inspections are needed for your juristiction.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:52 pm

Correct.
What I do is avoid double taxing.
Example...I get the bike for $500.(A $50 tax value to the DMV at the time of purchase.)
I fix it up by purchasing parts and providing labor,all of which I pay a tax on at some 10%.
Then take the bike for inspection.They assess the value at $2000 and tax me 10% or $200.

Wait a minute.I just paid the tax on stuff to fix it up,now they want to tax me again for the increase in value that I already paid tax on ????

I take the bike in it's current condition and they can assess it right there.I'll pay that tax and get the registration papers.
Then pay my share in taxes to fix it up.

Sorry.I do get carried away about taxation.

It's the same idea when you get a tax break when you do home improvements.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 pm

virgilmobile wrote:Correct.
What I do is avoid double taxing.

Every juristiction is different, and the OP isn't in yours.
For instance, I paid tax on what I told them I paid for the bike...not on any "assessed value".
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:08 pm

It's true every place has their own set of rules. In Texas, you can get the title corrected by filling out a form and attaching a pencil tracing of the vin tag...That takes care of the title problem. Your area may be different, a phone call should give you the proper method. One thing in your favor is that the "C" for a "G" should be a simple fix as there are NO wings that have the "C"... they all have the "G", so it is an obvious mistake.

The registration and tax issue is another animal....again, it is up to your state/county regs. In Texas, Bexar county, so many people were cheating on the selling price that they went to a minimum value regardless of condition, sales receipt or anything else...If your declared value is less than their minimum, you get taxed on their value, not what you said you paid, or even what you might have actually paid...The only time this rule does not apply is if it is purchased from an authorized licensed dealer. Then they will use the sales price.

Best to get on the phone and find out what the laws are, I would call 2-3 times with hypothedical similar situation to get different possibilities answers.

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Postby zamboni920 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:01 am

Here in CT it seems anything is possible. The C to G would be fixed by the clerk at the counter...no problem. The title would also represent a rather minor issue. Due to the age of the bike, it would classify as a vintage, and all that is needed is a "bill of sale" , or a Notarized letter stating the actual circumstances. Either way would work fine. Tax would be charged from your stated purchase price (say $50) , also due to the bikes age.
Registrer a trailer for instance, can easily be done as "homemade"....no paper work needed. I did mine, and the clerk asked how much it weighs.....I said "well, lets guess...hmmmm" , and the two of us came up with a compromise :lol: . Same for load capacity....he asked "how much can it carry?" ....I said "hmmmm, lets guess again" . :lol:
All states are different, but I think anything can be done with some finesse about paperwork.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:08 am

Well I'm sure you will get it straightened out....I'd like to welcome you to the site and let you know that you are in really good company here especially for getting that bike up and running, this is a fantastic place to get your anwsers...Our WingAdmin. has worked hard to form this site and his knowledge is top notch, so welcome again and enjoy your stay, oh and by all mean's take my BS with a grain of salt.. :D

Return to “Goldwing Chat”