Deer Deterrents

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
minnwing
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500A Aspencade

Deer Deterrents

Postby minnwing » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:24 pm

While riding tonight, about 45 minutes before sunset, a deer comes at a full gallop across the road in front of me. I was going up a curving hill, just pass a bridge, so I wasn't going more than about 40 mph at the time, but the deer could not have been more than 10 to 15 feet in front of me.
When I got home I went to Amazon and bought the Hopkins Electronic Deer Alert. Has anyone had any luck with this thing, or are there other deer avoidance devices out there that have worked for you?

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Deer Deterrents

Postby bustedwing » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:42 pm

I have used the deer whistlers on school busses, trucks, personel vehicles for about 20 years. When they first came out they worked great . Then the deer near the hwys got used to them and they work ok , at least the deer notice you. On the back roads they still work great.I have been saved many many times by these items and will continue to put them on every vehicle until something better comes out.
Proud member Patriot Guard

minnwing

Postby minnwing » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:48 pm

If they do work, maybe for the $20 they cost, maybe Honda should make them standard equipment on all their cycles??

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 am

Oh boy! Our own deer alert thread! Popcorn?
I had a deer alert on my 1000 and I never noticed any difference. Still had them run across the road in front of me. When I would pass deer just grazing on the side of the road, not one of them ever looked up. If they notice the alert, bolt and run which way will they go? Just as soon they kept grazing.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:31 am

Works as good as the elephant repellent I spray on my lawn. Haven't seen any wild elephants for years :lol:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:39 am

Yeah, I have stayed in the wings on this one for many, many years. Lots of folks say they work, and lots of folks say they don't. I personally don't have a clue. I have never used them, and so far I have never hit a deer. I think the deer alert between the ears is the best one yet, and it's free, so I will keep on using that one. What ever makes you feel more comfortable is probably the way to go.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

saltmar14
Motorcycle: 2004 gl1800 1985 gl1200 limited edition
1982 cm250c

Postby saltmar14 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:19 pm

i live in the desert so don't currently have to worry about deer only non-attentive drivers, but i have a freind that lives in deer country and wants me to visit so i have considered the deer alerts, is there a difference between the cheap ones and the electronic ones? i worry because i have hit a deer in a car.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:30 pm

saltmar14 wrote: is there a difference between the cheap ones and the electronic ones?

Yes, you waste more money on the "electronic" ones than on the cheap ones. :roll:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_deer_alert ... eally_work

minnwing

Postby minnwing » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:46 pm

I also have hit a deer with my car. And I have had a couple near misses in the car as well. Hitting a deer on a bike is another thing. You can say that the best deterrent is between the ears and staying alert. But last night I was looking right into the woods, trying to stay alert. I turned to the left and saw a flash of brown with the deer going across the road in full stride. I didn't have time to even touch the brake till he was in the ditch across the road. Staying alert is critical, but there are situations that you want avoid all together, like cycle-deer head ons. I am skeptical of this device. But if others have had experience with it (or something else), I would appreciate input. Thanks.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:11 pm

I figure any help is better than no help. Some deer are used to them, but most look at the noise and either freeze or run back in the same direction they came from. Yes I can plan a little for it, so I have time to react. To me the $20.00 is just a little added cushion that is worth the money.After all, you spend that much on a full tank of gas.

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:36 pm

I find the best deer deterrent came on the wing new.Yes that right standard equipment.. I ride lots early morning or dusk the wing is so quite nothing hears it.So at these times of day no one around to piss off so I crank the tunes up a bit.Maybe a little to much but just last night traveling a dirt road three deer 5 or 6 hundred feet off caught my eye as they started running yeah they ran toward the road but I had my eye on them all the way acrossed the field the acrossed the road about 100 feet or so ahead of me.. Sally :lol:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:52 pm

The one thing to know about deer is that if you see one run across in front of you, don't breath a sigh of relief and count yourself lucky, because there's usually one or more right behind the first one. Sometimes you'll see them alone, but they more often than not are in groups of two or more.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:17 pm

That is for sure, and you never know which way they will go. If you see eyes, slow down and look around for more.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”