smoking ,off topic

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
hockeystuff54
Motorcycle: 1980 honda goldwing gl 1100

smoking ,off topic

Postby hockeystuff54 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:29 am

2 months since i quit smoking,i know this isnt a goldwing topic but i smokerd for 40 years and heavy and i quit in two days with no cravings at all.before i get in trouble here im not permotting or selling any thing i just wanted people who have smoked for a long time that its possible to quit ,easily,im getting my wind back and makes my bike seem alot lighter .i love it

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: smoking ,off topic

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:15 pm

One of my best friends smoked his whole life, tried quitting over and over again. The one thing he finally found that got him to quit for good was developing terminal lung cancer.

jtm1500
Motorcycle: 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500A
1999 GL1500SE

Postby jtm1500 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Good for U! Ride On!

hockeystuff54

Postby hockeystuff54 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:59 pm

thats a terible disease wing ,i have lost a few to cancer and it sucks ,thats part of the reson i quit and i went to an electronic cigetette with no nicotine ,sure worked wonders ,i feel better and geting my wind back ,love it

Chuckgnh
Motorcycle: 1983 Apencade

Postby Chuckgnh » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:44 pm

Well, I was looking for a spot to post, and this would be it. Finally got my Goldwing up and running, thanks to a great young dude in my town of Contoocook, NH. He had it for two months - I was getting a little impatient but we had the understanding he could take his time and really go through it thoroughly. He did exactly that! I've ridden it into Concord the past three days and really enjoyed it! That's after riding my K100 for the past year. The Wing has it all over that bike, and especially because the beautiful Aimee and I are going 2-up to VT next month, and we're gonna have a blast!

Anyway, about the smoking. I've quit more than once - but over 1 1/2 years ago for good. I'll keep this short - if I can. My Mom died of lung cancer (metastasized to the brain) in 1975! Dad died of leukemia in '92. Smoking related? Perhaps not. What could Camels do over a lifetime? The only thing bad about the tobacco companies being sued out of business is that the lawyers get too much of the proceeds, if you think about it. What a disgusting, detestable lie those companies foisted on the greatest generation when you think of it........a glamorous activity, holding a cancer stick in front of your best girl at the nightclub...... Well, I wasn't going to go into a rant, but really........just realize that there were people in the 1940's..........think about it!!!! That realized the incidence of lung cancer was tied to smoking. Not sure I believe in hell, but there's a special place for those who made a profit in denying there was a link. It's still going on today.

Bottom line? Congratulations for stopping the suicidal behavior. And I don't mean to preach - we know it links right up with dopimine which is the pleasure center of the brain, or at least the ignition switch.

Hmmm............guess it's time for dinner.

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:40 am

Congratulations on quitting. I quit after smoking for more than 40 yrs also. For me it was the hardest thing I have ever done because I enjoyed it. I used the pill. It did help with the cravings at first, although they also gave me some of the wierdest dreams imaginable. Worth it though, still smoke free after 5 years. :D
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:47 am

Good for Alla Y'All. I quit in January 1978. Glad I did. Wish everyone would.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

rodee71
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 Interstate
1993 1500 Aspencade

Postby rodee71 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:01 am

I lost my wife of 35 years to smoking-related diseases (emphysema, copd) in 2009. She was 55. I personally never smoked and did all I could to help her every time she tried to quit, but, even after losing part of a lung to remove the cancer, she couldn't stop. Hard to watch the progressive deterioration as she slipped away. So, to anyone who has quit, you have my respect, and know that you have done a good thing for your loved ones, who won't have to live out the inevitable scenario that this disease puts a family through. I wish everyone could be smoke free, I'd have more friends today. Anyway, congratulations to all who decided to quit, your life has changed, in a good way.

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:07 pm

Way to go. They say your lungs start healing themselves the minute you quit. I quit over 40 years ago. (maybe I wasn't really "hooked" back then, just trying to be Mr. Cool in High school.) However, I did lose my dad in 1971 to lung cancer at the of 59!! It was horrible what he went through, including the treatment back then. I also lost my mom to smoking related lung illnesses at age 64, my sister to COPD at the age of 53, and, most recently, my cousin to COPD at age 63. Each were longtime smokers. Personally, I HATE cigarettes and what they do to a person's body. Enough. I'll get off my soapbox now. (Oh, BTW, I have 5 daughters and 5 sons-in-law and NONE of them smoke!! Thank God)

Big Old Bear
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 AL, Red
2011 R1200GS Adv

Postby Big Old Bear » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Hey Chuckgnh,
I'm a newbie, but this your post caught my eye. :D

Just to wind your shorts a bit more there was an medical article published in the 90's which said; when the Berlin Wall fell they got access to Nazi records that indicated absolute evidence that Smoking causing cancer it was found in 1933. So being the warm hearted souls they were they began promoting smoking as healthy to the Jewish community. Eerily some of the propaganda sounds so much like 40's and 50's ads in America.
Any one who quits in a sense is a hero in getting past it. Watched me Dad finally win the battle, but lives with some limitations, but he's alive. :P

Slainte (A toast to your Health in Irish Gaelic)
Big Old Bear

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Well, I'm another previous smoker of over 40 years. Most of that was as a chain smoker burning through 3 pks a day.I can say I probably didn't smoke all of those though as my job had me moving around the control center I worked in and I usually had a cigg burning in two or three ashtrays at a time. That was during my Navy years.

In 2001 when I required back surgery, my doc looked at me and said, " I don't preach to people who know better. (I'm a Registered Nurse). But what I will tell you is this. You can quit now before I cut you up and you will heal in about 6 to 8 weeks. Or, you can keep right on smoking until you come in for surgery and light up as soon as you can walk out of the hospital and it will take 6 to 8 months to heal. It's up to you." I thought about it.....decided 6 weeks was better than 6-8 months. So I quit. I did get a massive craving upon arrival at home....Just the heavy smell of stale cigg smoke seemed good. I didn't have a car at home. The wife had her car and my son had borrowed my truck. The only thing running was the little MG midget. I somehow climbed into that little thing, fiberglass back brace and all. I made it down to the corner store about a mile away. I got a pack of smokes and got back into the MG...sheeesh. I got half mile back down the road toward home. Ran out of gas...Understand this car was not used, it was just parked. I worked my way out again, and started slooooowly walking toward home. It was nearly time for my wife to get home from work. I was within 100 yards of my driveway and here she pulls up to a stop. Talk about feeling like a fool. I played with that pack for about 2 weeks, probably smoking half of them, but only half or less of each one. I threw the rest away and that was my last smoke. I think the realization that I was that crazy going after ciggs in my fresh out of surgery condition that drove the point home..
Like everyone else, I felt 10 years younger after 6 months. I also had watched both my parents die of smoking related causes.
I think the biggest thing that made me continue as long as I did was the fact that people started treating smokers as 2nd class citizens and it was pushed by media, the gov't. and everyone else. I just dug my heals in and felt no one was gonna make me do anything I didn't want to do. And, I didn't want to quit smoking. I stayed angry and resentful for many years before actually making up my own mind to quit. Thank goodness I did.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:20 am

In Oz, the High Court of Australia (similar to US Supreme Court) ruled in favour of the Federal Government's latest thrust against the tobacco companies. The tobacco companies lost, and have to pay the Government's legal bills :lol:

The win means that by later this year, all cigarettes are to be sold in plain packaging, with a colour of olive-drab and pretty (awful) pictures of cancers, to stop people thinking that it is cool to smoke. (Customers now go into shop and say: "I will have a packet of eye cancer, rather that the mouth cancer, thanks!")

Here is a bit of a write up on the process"

Tobacco plain packaging will be enforced in Australia after manufacturers lost a high court case, the full article and pretty pictures are included in the following:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/aug/15/tobacco-plain-packaging-australia-court

Australia's highest court has endorsed cigarette plain-packaging laws that will force tobacco companies to remove branding from their products.

Tobacco companies British American Tobacco, Britain's Imperial Tobacco, Philip Morris and Japan Tobacco challenged the laws in Australia's high court, claiming the rules were unconstitutional because they effectively extinguished the companies' intellectual property rights.

The court found Australia's laws to force companies to remove all branding and sell tobacco only in generic olive green packets, which also carry graphic health warnings, were legal and did not breach trademark rights.

The laws, the toughest in the world, are in line with World Health Organisation recommendations and are being watched closely by Britain, Norway, New Zealand, Canada and India, which are considering similar measures.

The decision means that starting in December tobacco companies will no longer be able to display their distinctive colours, brand designs and logos on cigarette packs. The packs will instead come in a uniform shade of olive green and feature graphic health warnings and images such as cancer-riddled mouths and blinded eyeballs. The government hopes the new packs will make smoking as unglamorous as possible.

The tobacco companies are worried the law will set a global precedent that could slash billions of dollars from the value of their brands. They argued in court that they new rules violate intellectual property rights and devalue their trademarks. The government would unfairly benefit from the law by using cigarette packs as a platform to promote its own message, without compensating the tobacco companies, they said. Australia's constitution says the government can only acquire the property of others on "just terms".

British American Tobacco spokesman Scott McIntyre said it was disappointed with the court's decision but would comply with the law. "Although the [law] passed the constitutional test it's still a bad law that will only benefit organised crime groups which sell illegal tobacco on our streets," McIntyre said in a statement. "The illegal cigarette black market will grow further when all packs look the same and are easier to copy."
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

st4r50
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500 crashed
2002 GL 1800A

Postby st4r50 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:30 am

I bet that will catch on in other countries. especially countries where the govt has more power.
KG4USG

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:50 am

That's the double standard of the governments..They don't want people to quit as they want the taxes...They make all the noise as if they want you to quit. But, they extort billions from the tobacco companies and the purchasers.

Yes people are killing themselves with the smokes...but it is not any of the gov'ts business. There has been enough information put out there. People chan choose for themselves. Nanny states are what should be illegal. They took the power from the people by claiming 2nd hand smoke kills everyone within 100 miles. There are even places in Calif. where it is illegal to smoke on the beach. There is a 20 mph sea breese blowing on the beach. But hey, the 2nd hand smoke might get to someone down the beach. It's ALWAYS about the money. They (gov't) just found a gold mine that's all and the're gonna milk it to the end.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:22 am

Congrats Hockeystuff on quitting. You won't regret it.
I quit 30 years ago after smoking for 20 years. I found it very easy to do. My reason for quitting was the money. I told myself that I would never pay $1.00 for a pack of cigs. Well I did but only once. I never even opened that last pack. I kept it on my desk for over a year until it mysteriously disappeared one day. ???
I have heard that a cheap pack of cigarettes cost now about $3.50 and that in New York some stores sell them for up to $15.00. How does anyone afford to shell out $35. and up to $150. for a carton of 10 packs.
I agree that money as well as the power is the reason that gov't. gets involved in these issues. I'm still waiting for hard evidence that second hand smoke is related to health issues. Just like I'm still waiting for the evidence that mankind is causing global warming. Al Gore has made millions if not billions with his stance on this issue.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:55 am

Never smoked in my life, age 73......But wife has smoked all her life.Just the other day I went for a check up at the Dr. As soon as he walked into the room ,he said a smoker 'hey " I said No, he had that look in his eye like,I', lying!, I had to explain, it's my wife and not me.That sure hit me, he wasn't in that room with me but two minutes.

I stink, I keep thinking!.... When I got home,I was on the wife to quit. It just goes in one ear and out the other.
So how does one get the other to Quit.I have four daughters that don't smoke,and they seldom come to my house because of the smoke.They say the house smells like a tavern or ash tray.

WA9FWT Phil

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:36 am

Having your children make comments like that to your wife might eventually help. The first move is to try to find a way to move her smoking outside. The next issue is it is a situation of "I can't quit, I've tried", or "I don't want to quit, it's my life, if you don't like it too bad.".....The attitude is a big thing. Kids saying things like "Mom, I'd love come visit, but the house makes me sick....I just can't deal with being sick from the stink...

If she really wants to quit but "can't", there are also some good hypnosis programs that work...but the person must have the desire to quit otherwise they won't. If she were to try it just to please you and for some to say "I told you it wouldn't work" then it won't and is a waste of money. Otherwise, it can really do wonders for eliminating the cravings and speeds up the attitude of being very happy without ciggs. The cost is normally less than the amount of ciggs for 6 months or less if a heavy smoker. I know hypnosis works as that is what I used when the Doc told me my options about healing....I was smoke free in less than 3 weeks. I used self-hypnosis as I knew what to put into suggestions to myself as I knew what would motivate me. As a Psych certified RN and well trained in clinical hypnosis I have done sessions on a lot of people that have remained non-smokers. I know that sounds crazy that I smoked for over 40 years while helping others quit, but, I had no desire to quit during those times, so No reason to utilize hypnosis on myseif during that time. But when I was ready, worked like a charm.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:31 am

I managed to go cold turkey in October 1968, and have managed to avoid all tobacco products since. My younger brother stopped 10 years ago when he had a heart attack and put him in (smoke free) hospital before a triple bypass - he hasnt smoked since. Now, my older brother is another example of a persistent smoker. He had his triple bypass about 20 years ago, stopped for about 6 weeks, and then started again. He has smoked ever since. Some of the ploys that I have resorted to, and this got him to slow down at least, was to put the cigarettes in the boot/trunk of the car. He then had to go outside to get one, rather than just stretching out, and grabbing another. If he was driving, he had to stop, get out and get a cigarette. This process slowed him down, but he still has not quit!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Postby ka4yqi » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 pm

That is just Great!! I am now since march 15 was 5 years and am smoke free. It took 2 heart attacks to get it in my head, but the last one was the final draw. I took chantix for about 25 days with none of the side effects. This extra money that I saved went to the habit of motorcycles. The motorcycles make me more happy without ash in the eye.
Good luck and strong will.
Steve

hockeystuff54 wrote:2 months since i quit smoking,i know this isnt a goldwing topic but i smokerd for 40 years and heavy and i quit in two days with no cravings at all.before i get in trouble here im not permotting or selling any thing i just wanted people who have smoked for a long time that its possible to quit ,easily,im getting my wind back and makes my bike seem alot lighter .i love it

hockeystuff54

Postby hockeystuff54 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:59 pm

great responces to this post ,and great to hear off all the sucess stories here,all i can say further on this topic is that i wish all smokers would find a way to quit,

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:45 pm

I quit in 1987 my women was far more important to me than a cancer stick was.. She wanted me to quit so i quit.. Smoked since I was 13 in 1973 but I smoked pretty heavy....14 years and I'm so happy I did.. Man I saw what a pack of smokes was going for the other day..Wow..Forget that man.. Too costly...

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:10 pm

twostrokes48 wrote:That's the double standard of the governments..They don't want people to quit as they want the taxes...They make all the noise as if they want you to quit. But, they extort billions from the tobacco companies and the purchasers.

Yes people are killing themselves with the smokes...but it is not any of the gov'ts business. There has been enough information put out there. People chan choose for themselves. Nanny states are what should be illegal. They took the power from the people by claiming 2nd hand smoke kills everyone within 100 miles. There are even places in Calif. where it is illegal to smoke on the beach. There is a 20 mph sea breese blowing on the beach. But hey, the 2nd hand smoke might get to someone down the beach. It's ALWAYS about the money. They (gov't) just found a gold mine that's all and the're gonna milk it to the end.

I smoked for 50 years, been quit for about 5 years. I could smoke one as long as a damned fishing pole right now. I will admit it is not as hard as it was in the beginning, but I want one every day, all day. The air is not sweeter, food don't taste any better, and the "do-gooders" getting close to shutting down every restaurant in the country, just because they can, throw me into a dimension of pissed off that defies description. Oh yeah, I almost forgot; it's made me a little grumpy, too.

If you don't want to smoke, don't smoke. If you don't want to give you money to a privately owned business because they allow smokers, don't go in their establishment. It's going to come back to you in spades. When the "stop smoking" frenzy is over, they will come after your favorite pastime. I hope I live long enough to hear you bitch and then try to explain how little I care.

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Welcome to the forum Chief....
I can tell you were in the same Navy as I was back in the day. And, you are right, they are (the Obumblers) going after food. They start in the schools where they have no legal age complainers and have a choke hold through the Dept. of Education controlling the money strings....Then it is requiring the fast food restaurants and all chain restaurants I believe to post total calories on every menu item....The next step will be to add an extra tax to anyone that orders over a certain number of calories in their meal...and of course more Bloomburg dictator type laws over sugar usage...It's all coming..but they will first attack it with tax so they can get all the money they can through extortion from all the food businesses. But, I'm getting way off topic for this thread so I'll just agree with you. Sorry you miss the smokes so much..I also smoked for over 40 years, a chain smoker most of them. But I really don't miss them anymore and can't stand the stale smoke smell anymore. But I would never deny anyone their right to smoke.
Enjoy the forum, maybe we can get together for a ride one of these days...We're prettyt close to each other..

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:31 pm

twostrokes48 wrote:Welcome to the forum Chief....
I can tell you were in the same Navy as I was back in the day. And, you are right, they are (the Obumblers) going after food. They start in the schools where they have no legal age complainers and have a choke hold through the Dept. of Education controlling the money strings....Then it is requiring the fast food restaurants and all chain restaurants I believe to post total calories on every menu item....The next step will be to add an extra tax to anyone that orders over a certain number of calories in their meal...and of course more Bloomburg dictator type laws over sugar usage...It's all coming..but they will first attack it with tax so they can get all the money they can through extortion from all the food businesses. But, I'm getting way off topic for this thread so I'll just agree with you. Sorry you miss the smokes so much..I also smoked for over 40 years, a chain smoker most of them. But I really don't miss them anymore and can't stand the stale smoke smell anymore. But I would never deny anyone their right to smoke.
Enjoy the forum, maybe we can get together for a ride one of these days...We're prettyt close to each other..

twostrokes, I come into San Antonio for most Patriot Guard missions. Maybe you could join a great bunch of people doing a good thing for absolutely no reason except love of country and those who stood up for it. Looking forward to meeting you.

Chief
Darkside #1609

rooferx
Motorcycle: 95 aspy

Postby rooferx » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:36 pm

:arrow: Back on the non smoking wagon today...

Return to “Goldwing Chat”