Another "The trailer saved me" story

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Another "The trailer saved me" story

Postby themainviking » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Another trailer saved me story... I don't think I posted this before. We had been riding in rain for two days, sometimes just normal rain and sometimes getting to be gully washer rain, when we were coming into Escanaba MI last year. We drove right into a highway depression that was eighteen inches deep but filled with water that the last gully washer had left behind, and which overcame the drainage for the road. As there was no traffic in front of us, it was impossible to tell the depth of the water or even if there was any water there. Well, we hit it at road speed, probably 50 miles an hour there, and water came over and to both sides of us, as well as lifting the bike right off the road on the belly pan. In short, we were a goner, done like dinner, gonna drown under a thousand pounds of motorcycle. Then the trailer hit the water and yanked us to a stop. The wheels bumped down and we were safe. We immediately pulled off and changed all our underwear, throwing away the soiled stuff. We sat for over an hour in a Hardees, eating breakfast, till the shakes went away. The rain let up, and we went on our way to finish what became a most memorable trip. For the bad, I am not sure which was worse - hitting that water, or eating at Hardees... but their biscuits are good. :lol:

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Re: Another "The trailer saved me" story

Postby zamboni920 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:30 pm

Hmmmm...floating on the belly pan.....great idea :lol: . Need to cross the Atlantic in September, hmmmm... :D .
Seriously, scary things happen with lots of water on the road.
Not sure about eating at Hardees after such an experience.....as a smoker, I would have settled for a couple packs of cig's before I got on the road again.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Another "The trailer saved me" story

Postby themainviking » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:54 am

zamboni920 wrote:.....as a smoker, I would have settled for a couple packs of cig's before I got on the road again.

I tried that one time, but they gave me diarhea....... :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Goldwing Chat”