Anyone done this

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Anyone done this

Postby Dogsled » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:55 am

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7974

I have a radio with the face off but can't find a ribbon anywhere. Maybe different radios use different ribbons. Anyone done this and found a ribbon to fit, what make and model stereo is usable? I ran out of places to look for the plug.

If Bandit is still around. I can't understand why the radio face plate needs to come off when the face plate plug is already on there. I can't find a plug to fit that either....nor can I find a plug to fit the face.

seems like a good idea if I can overcome the connection hurdle

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: Anyone done this

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:25 pm

if you are referring to the stereo install using a removable face car stereo, the ribbon cable can be purchased at MOST quality electronics stores such as radio shack. You will need to find a cable long enough to reach where you are going to mount the body with a plug on each end (male on one end / female on the other) then cut the cable about 6" (six inches) from one connector. By doing this, you can now plug the two ends into each other, soldering the bare ends to each part of the stereo and giving you a way to unplug the controller side of the stereo if you need to take the "TANK" (or where ever you mount the controller, off the bike for repair or __________ .

I hope you understand this as I tend to have trouble putting ideas on paper. . . .
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:40 pm

Thanks for narrowing that down to what I really wanted to ask. Where do I get the plug ends from? I'm not worried about the ribbon. I can't find anything to match my plugs.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:01 pm

there SHOULD be a ribbon between the face mount and the body of the stereo, cut it and solder the new ribbon in between CAREFULLY matching color to color with a new ribbon. You will have to buy a ribbon that has the same number of wires or more on it. So if the radio has a 8 wire ribbon, buy a 8 or 10 ribbon from radio shack/where ever, splice it in. The new ribbon will have a male/female ends on it from the store, use those to make the connector I was trying to describe. hope this helps. :D
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:12 pm

Another thing you can do is just use normal 18ga wire to make the jump from body to head unit. It is not hard, just have to be CAREFUL not to cross the leads up. To do this, cut the ribbon and add a length of 18ga wire between each lead. Ribbon makes it easier as the leads are all together, but this way will work too.
I wish you lived closer as I would be happy to make this mod to the radio for you. If you will be close to Oklahoma City, give me a ring and we'll do her up. Should not take more than 45min to a hour, including shopping for parts. Let me know.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:49 am

The stereo I have has everything but a dang mp3 plug so I won't be using that. But it's interesting to try and figure this out so when I get a usable stereo i'll have a working knowledge of what to do. This is realy a unique idea, I bet my fiberglass body won't look like the one pictured for sure.. :lol:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”