New Hear

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Patrol
Motorcycle: none

New Hear

Postby Patrol » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:21 am

Hi I am new on hear and I am returning to motorcycles after a few years break and now retired so I am looking at a wing either a 1980s 1200 1100 so after reading all of the fours and against I would like others views on the reliability of the two bikes I can do all my own maintenance as a retired engineer but don’t need the hassle of pulling out the engine for stator replacement is the stator or the pick up coils a regular problem I would welcome owners views on both bikes as to the reliability on them

Thanks Dave

colt1991a
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade

Re: New Hear

Postby colt1991a » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:12 am

Greetings Dave!
I'm sure you'll get preferences on both scooters. I'm particular for the 1200 over the 1100. Either way, heck, it's a wing! I haven't posted at all on this site, but frequent it all the time. There's an answer/solution to any problem. This is a great place to find information and help!

Marc

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Welcome to the site Dave and do hope you can find a suitable bike. I have owned a 1200 and two 1500s the last is triked, but I can't give you any 1100 first hand experience. The 1200s soft spot was the stator but if you took care of the wiring before overloading the stator it lasted a long time. If you find a 1200 and look at the three wires from the stator , if they have been soldered then someone took proper care of the main wiring.If the connectors are brown and burnt then you know the wiring has been overloaded and possible stator damage. Carb damage from sitting and bad fuel can happen to either of these bikes so smell the gas, if it smells like shellac figure on carb rebuild. Either of these bikes will be a lot of fun depending on the amount of tlc needed and practice YOU will need to safely ride , but do ride safely.Keep us updated on your progress.Bud.
Proud member Patriot Guard

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Come on Dave, it's our job to teach the Americans how to write correctly!! Here not hear... :lol: They still can't speak English correctly and drop Z's into all sorts of words, we don't need to confuse them further.. :oops:

Welcome to the club (from one Brit to another..)..

Gary

Patrol
Motorcycle: none

Postby Patrol » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:50 am

Thanks guys for the welcome and your views on the bikes thanks again now all I have to do is find a good wing

Dave

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 pm

Here, Here!

Have you thought about a 1500? While the four cylinder GWs are magnificent, the six cylinder ones are more magnificent! IMO.

Whichever or whatever you care to acquire, the colour/color is not as important as you being comfortable with the package.

Welcome, from the Southern Colonials, and I wish you well in your motorcycling - remember, from what I have seen, no question is too dumb, nor too hard for some of the people on this Forum. Others can just be ignored :P

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”