Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2000 goldwing se

Postby diablo454 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi just wondering if I can cut down the windsheild on my goldwing? its just at the right height that Im looking thru the very top edge, and i dont want to raise it to look thru it, It like getting caught between the bi focals on your glasses lol. I want to cut approx 1.5 inches off. Im just wondering if it would shatter or crack? thanks

Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Re: windshield

Postby SKMURDOCK » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:10 pm

The following link should provide some help. Several links both here and on other sites, but generally take your time, tape off the area to be cut, and take some more of your time. Go slow and easy seems to be the trick. Jig saw, Dremel, likely some other options too.

Good luck!

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Postby danw » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:46 pm

I had exactly the same problem on my 1500 and decided that I would have to replace the screen, with that in mind I took the chance that cutting it was not going to cost me anything if I was gona have to replace the screen. Having taken the screen off the bike I taped it with masking tape both sides then marked it to the same curve using a joiners pencil and following the original edge, using the finest metal blade I had I cut it with a variable speed jigsaw with little difficulty just taking my time going slow and most importantly making sure the cutting edge was well supported and unable to twist or vibrate. No problem cutting it then dressed with some wet and dry paper and put on one of those trim edges you can buy from Halfords. Saved me a fortune on a new screen.

Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500 crashed
2002 GL 1800A

Postby st4r50 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:02 am

Yeah, it's pretty easy.
I'm short so I have to cut down just about any of them I get. First time or two I was worried but now it's a breeze.

You can make a template of the radius prior to cutting and draw it on your tape so you can keep the same contour. If not some use a coffee can for the radius.

I finish sand with a sanding sponge, this puts a little contour on the edge instead of being flat and sharp.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”