Celebrate with Sid

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Celebrate with Sid

Postby Sidcar » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:15 am

My Wing is now up and running and on the road, Hurrah. It passed it's MOT (Annual certifcate of roadworthiness) this morning.
Even more to celebrate the wife thinks it's marvelous, even rode in the sidecar when we went into town.
Going out this afternoon to get her crash helmet.
There's still a bit of fettling to do.
The footbrake is a bit of a disappointment, I really have to stand on it if I want to brake hard.
There's a bit of a flat spot coming off idle. It hesitates so I use a bit more throttle whereupon the power comes on with an unwanted surge (tricky when your turning left with a sidecar).
The handlebars "wag" at low speed, thanks to the sidecar. Normal solution is to fit a steering damper but, with all the panelwork around the forks I can't see how.
The gearchange is a bit "clunky", is this normal?

For the present the important thing is to get out on the road and enjoy it!

Sid

Sidcar

Re: Celebrate with Sid

Postby Sidcar » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:19 am

Did I mention it's my birthday today? and what a present.

Sid

rooferx
Motorcycle: 95 aspy

Postby rooferx » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:21 pm

Happy Birthday,,from baltimore Maryland.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Happy Birthday Sid. The hesitation may work itself out with more riding and clean fuel or Sea Foam to clean out the carbs . The "clunky"shifting may be more of a practice on your part, unless you have play in the drive train that needs attention.The handlebar wag at low speeds is common in trikes mainly with solid rear axil, not so bad with independant rear axil. After awhile you don't notice it anymore.One more thing on the hesitation,if you run the choke slightly closed you won't have the hesitation. The footbrake problem may be that the front caliper needs to be bled. If you have air in the front caliper which workes with the rear brakes, then the rear brakes will not work as well .I believe both systems need to be bled, and this is assuming you have good brake pads on both wheels. Above all, practice and ride safe.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:39 pm

Had a good ride out this morning though this outfit is a bit of a handfull down our English country lanes, outfit 7ft wide country lane 8. On a gated road we went down the gateway must have been about 7ft 6in, very tight.
Coming home on the main roads it flew along but started to make more noise. Had a look when I got home, back of the right hand silencer blown out.
Another session with the welding torch tomorrow (the price of a new pair over £300! No second hand ones about, all rusted away I suppose, so a repair it will have to be).

Sid

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:59 pm

I bet that was the biggest smile on your birthday face.

If you have to weld an exhaust, it will only be a temporary fix, because if it has rusted out in one spot, then it will find another spot for the exhaust noise to escape. I would be saving the pennies for the next set of exhaust.

With the brakes, if the GW has been sitting for a while, then you should change the brake fluid. Brake fluid is hydroscopic (it attracts water), so even if you are using it, then change it at least every two years or sooner.

It is a good learning experience to take an outfit down the narrow lanes, but it sounds like you were getting all of your experience in the one ride. Keep that smile, you are on a GW.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:49 pm

As well as welding the end of the silencer I also put an 11 x 5 inch plate along the bottom, should hold it for a bit. I don't want to seem mean but this bike has been standing for ten years so I woild like to keep a few quid handy in case there are any other teething troubles.
I've already fitted a repair kit to the rear brake m/cylinder and changed the all the brake fluid. I've used synthetic brake fluid which isn't hydroscopic and doesn't disolve my paintwork should it leak out (so I'm told). I'm going to bleed the rear and front l/h brakes again there must be a bit of air in there somewhere.
There's a big rally celebration 100 years of Watsonain sidecars, of which mine is one, this Saturday so I need to get these problems sorted.
Got to go and show them what a good outfit looks like :D

Sid

zee
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100i interstate 1969 t500suzuki

Postby zee » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm

hi sid nice looking outfit is your chair a oxford i had 1 on a 1100 a few years ago as for your silencers have you tryed contacting motad direct as they may have some seconds avalavble and just down the road from you in walsall all the best alan (from walsall :roll: )

rooferx
Motorcycle: 95 aspy

Postby rooferx » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:45 pm

On the clunky shifting ,,I came off a vtx and that trans was dead on,so compared to that the wing is not as dead on,,but I"m still way green though,,still love it.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”