Look What I Found!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Wolfster
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Look What I Found!

Postby Wolfster » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Well as I said recently....I got me a Goldwing...got it from a guy that I work with and it has been sitting for over a year in his shed. I cleaned it up and all and it looks great...but when It warms up from running I would smell a funky odor, which I figured was from sitting in the shed so long and I thought it might go away with riding it more. So then I decided to install rear speakers and while taking the bike apart for the install I discovered a couple of rather dirty surprises...Look What I Found! :o
Attachments
This is on the engine...
This is on the engine...
This is what I removed...
This is what I removed...
This is under the trunk box...
This is under the trunk box...
And this is what I removed from there!
And this is what I removed from there!

SKMURDOCK
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Re: Look What I Found!

Postby SKMURDOCK » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:38 pm

I recognize that smell!

I live out in the country, where mice in vehicles are almost an occupational hazard . I have cleaned up after them in my wife's car, my mothers, and my pickup.

The smell may hang in there for a while, but something like Fabreze or a similar product should help speed the return to fresh air!

wayne ian
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 2006 suzuki C50ct

Postby wayne ian » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Don't forget to check the wiring. They love to chew.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Make sure you check the air filter. They love to set up in there too 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Randy S
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade 1989 GL1500

Postby Randy S » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:33 pm

I have an acreage and my shop is in a converted barn. If I leave my wing in the shop more than a couple days I have to clean out in front of the air cleaner in the false tank. This has happened twice this year. If you blow the horn and it sounds muffled and anemic look for uninvited passengers :D .

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Wolfster wrote:Well as I said recently....I got me a Goldwing...got it from a guy that I work with and it has been sitting for over a year in his shed. I cleaned it up and all and it looks great...but when It warms up from running I would smell a funky odor, which I figured was from sitting in the shed so long and I thought it might go away with riding it more. So then I decided to install rear speakers and while taking the bike apart for the install I discovered a couple of rather dirty surprises...Look What I Found! :o

So what do they call you now.....the Big bad Wolf...ster ? You removed a family! :lol:

WA9FWT Phil

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Randy S wrote:I have an acreage and my shop is in a converted barn. If I leave my wing in the shop more than a couple days I have to clean out in front of the air cleaner in the false tank. This has happened twice this year. If you blow the horn and it sounds muffled and anemic look for uninvited passengers :D .

Better invest in some Moth Balls or Peppermint oil.. I used the Moth Balls in my Motorhome one time , it kept the mice away.But not sure I liked the smell when I opened it up :)
WA9FWT Phil

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:15 pm

My bike sat for 2 years waiting for clear title after owners death. There was a nest and 5 pounds of hickory nuts on top of air filter. I was glad it was a K&N filter, stock would have rot through.

britman
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing and an 82 naked goldwing

Postby britman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 am

Im rebuilding a GL1100 for a friend i took the tape player out to undo the fairing wires and it was full of what ever they use to make a nest

Return to “Goldwing Chat”