Old fart wobbly but ready to ride!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Old fart wobbly but ready to ride!

Postby tom84std » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:47 am

Last winter I built a BSA Cafe bike inside my kitchen. Highly modified '60's frame, '68 A65 Thunderbolt engine entirely home built and purely British. Tuned well. Triumph front end. Ribbed front fender complete with pedestrian slicer. Kitchen built midsets brake and shifter. Ruined the kitchen floor welding it together. My adult daughter suggested I name her Betty Crocker. My son in law helped me move it outside. Put on the road in March. Nimble, quick, responsive and powerful. April 20th a female driver in a black Audi cut me off on the expressway and I hit her car and veered like a pool ball smashing my head into a concrete wall only to slide 50' down the asphalt which removed every inch of exposed skin on my arms and hands. Four broken ribs and one tore up kneecap later I woke in ICU three days after, mad as hell because my brand new baby got messed up. My head was badly dented and I suffered from delusions in which I was a CIA operative modifying aircraft for special missions and I was convinced I was in an Air Force hospital. I was convinced all the hospital staff were female Air Force officers and every night we went out on special missions. I'm not kidding. The memories and the aircraft are very real in my messed up memory. (This was the second time it's happened to me. The first time was in 1978 and I really WAS in the Air Force. That time it was a Triumph Bonneville and it had been a head-on collision with an automobile. I suppose I was regressing.) My best friend is wanting me to join him with my Goldwing to ride high passes and beautiful valleys of Colorado sleeping on the ground and eating cowboy cooking drinking campfire coffee. My equilibrium hasn't failed me in two weeks. I haven't fallen down in nearly 20 days. I feel strong. I've nearly finished rebuilding the Beezer and it's beautiful again. Almost ready to put back on the road, and my old 84 standard Honda is calling me. My 95 year old father and several friends think I'm an idiot for even considering riding a motorcycle again. Fourty years on two wheels is hard to let go of. Beware female drivers in black Audi's.......

Yes I was wearing a helmet.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Old fart wobbly but ready to ride!

Postby themainviking » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:54 am

Well, I admire your tenacity in getting back on. I have had three major motorcycle accidents from which the motorcycle could not be ridden, and walked away with minor injuries to myself, having never hit my head. If two in forty years is your total, then you are doing alright. I wish you clear skies and trailing winds on your camping/biking trip. I will be headed out on another, just like it, in about a week.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:48 pm

I too had a major accident ten years ago and several people still think I got hit on the head too hard because I am riding again. I have been riding for 40 years with the excepton of the ten years I spent healing from the head-on and I love getting out on the road yet, but watch when someone gets close to the center line. The only people that understand are the ones that have enjoyed riding as much as I have.I am glad you are able to start once again on your ride an look forward to hearing from you when you are able to get on the road. I have joined the Patriot Guard and that gives me even more reason to get out and ride, plus I get to meet some really great people. Ride safe.
Proud member Patriot Guard

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:00 pm

This is true, the whole month I spent in that civilian hospital I thought I was in an Air Force hospital. I was firmly convinced I was in Wilford Hall, San Antonio Texas. I was sure there was an airfield connected to the hospital on the nearby Kelly Air Force Base. I'm sure I was taken to a grass strip one afternoon and told to modify an examination table's power/hydraulic lift system installed in a Cessna 310 assigned to the CIA. In trying to modify the table to perform the different job from which it had been designed I complained that the idiots in the CIA hadn't given me the correct tools nor the resources to do what they expected me to do with what I had to work with. I turned my back on the female captain mission leader to continue working on the hydraulic table and she shot me in the rear with a powerful sedative. I woke in the hospital the next morning. That's not mentioning the time an airport building collapsed onto my team and I had to lay in the rubble for hours before being rescued by a special Delta Force team sent to get our behinds out. There are several other memories I know now to be total delusions, but they seem so real. A month in a hospital and several weeks in rehab. All because I chose to ride my BSA down the DFW highway that afternoon. Lord if I could only take an afternoon's activity back..

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:10 pm

If you could only change one thing, how it would have changed our lives.But you know, there are things that have happened since then that I would not give back either, so I guess you have to take the good with the bad.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:00 am

Good luck to you. If you get too wobbly fit a sidecar (if nothing else you'll be sure of making a decent sized dent in the next Audi).
Many (very many) years ago I built a Tribsa (BSA frame Triumph engine) in my bedroom, had a hell of a time getting it down the stairs. I wasn't allowed to put oil in it until it was outside.
I don't know what you wear to ride but I'd recommend some of these Kevlar reinforced jackets and jeans they are seriously good if you want to make a career out of asphalt sliding (New Olympic sport?).

Sid

Return to “Goldwing Chat”