off topic but im proud... my zx9... need opinions

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
lovemyzx9r
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 interstate
1984 700 magna
2000 kawi zx9r

off topic but im proud... my zx9... need opinions

Postby lovemyzx9r » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:25 pm

i know this is not a goldwing or honda even but it is a fabulous motorcycle. fast as all get out. i am seeking opinions about the front rim... it was bent when i got it and a new one is 700 dollars couldnt find a used one for less than a rim shop wanted to straighten it. paid them 185 dollars and they didnt even paint it back to green. now that ive lived with it for a year and a half it the silver lip has grown on me. should i paint the back lip red and leave the front silver kinda like the wsbk bike or should i just paint the front lip green. i will be taking votes on several sites because i cannot decide. thanks for the input. if anyone has any cool decals like ngk or magnetti marelli or anything like that laying around i would like to break the black up a little. i will pay for shipping through paypal if you would donate some freebies anyone has sitting around. i am a fan of vintage stickers too. willing to pay for older ones. thanks!!! ride fast ride safe... 150 n 5th gear woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh yeah its a 2000 zx9r e1 lowered jetted sprockets 22k mi... i paid 1800 for it guy said he got drunk and decided to show a bunch of girls at a party how he could wheelie. we all know how that turns out. im the 2nd owner though and could tell he took great care of it other than his 1 bad decision.
Attachments
finally getting close
finally getting close
when i bought it two years ago
when i bought it two years ago
just tank to go.
just tank to go.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: off topic but im proud... my zx9... need opinions

Postby Mag » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:27 pm

My vote...
- silver lip on the back rim (that way it shows more the silver bike frame
- no stickers (looks cool just being nude that way, don't need names and advertising, leave it classy)
- Later down the line, fine a muffler pipe that is black/silver/green or any version of hte colors.

Good luck and have fun.

Mag

lovemyzx9r
1984 700 magna
2000 kawi zx9r

Postby lovemyzx9r » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:27 am

thanks for the input... i was looking at the trick star bikes and they have the silver lips front and back and your right it really looks nice. i am not a big fan of aftermarket exhaust though, especially on a bike with as much emission controls as this 2000. I have read in several forums that changing the exhaust on these bikes shortens the life of the top end. I don't like having headaches when on long rides either. This pipe being titanium should last my lifetime. I mainly wanted the stickers for the kids too (i have 2 they love my green motorcycle)... i live in harley country and recently a small boy said wow dad look at that nice motorcycle. thats a race bike. his dad just rolled his eyes. just want the kids around here to know there's more out there than the status quo. i really appreciate your opinion though. nice bike.

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:42 am

Hello lovemy

If you don't have a wheel and tripoli stick, a weekend afternoon spent in a lawn chair with adult beverages, the wheel in your lap beside a bottle of Brasso and an old Tee-shirt working for an hour or so and you could really make the bare aluminum glisten. That would really make it stand out. I have various sizes and grades of wheels, tripoli and rouges but sometimes ya just can't beat an old Tee and bottle of Brasso. Wash afterward with dish soap and polish dry. Nice looking machine. Bet it's a hoot to ride!

lovemyzx9r
1984 700 magna
2000 kawi zx9r

Postby lovemyzx9r » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:46 pm

thanks tom.. i plan on polishing the frame some day.. i am going to be working on my 68 cl450 this winter. so it will probably be in the spring. i like your trailer, we (my dad and i) built one just like it for his 84 interstate. they are really handy for long trips or camping. i polished the titanium exhaust with a powerball and mothers aluminum polish. had lots of small scratches from the wreck. tried a spot on the frame it is going to take forever but they look so nice polished. i quit drinking when i started riding 9 years ago. best trade off i have made in my life. i love motorcycles hope to make a living working on them and selling them someday. hopefully sooner than later. this sight has really accelerated my learning. that old honda is the best 200 bucks i have ever spent it sounds nastier than anything made today by far. i cannot wait to ride it. needs the starter clutch rebuilt and rear fender. i found a better tank on ebay after a year and a half of searching. danged exhaust is worth twice what i paid for the bike. this is before i cleaned it up too. gonna polish the motor and paint the frame. hope the wiring harness holds together. thanks for the input friend. oh look my dads old 83 silverwing in the background. that bike was a bear to work on. had to drop the motor to do anything on it.
Attachments

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Oh man that thing is rough but dripping potential. How about removing the chrome with a 4 1/2" 120 grit flap disk and going back with VHT flat black? I love the look of black exhausts.
Your Dad rides a Silverwing? They are marvelous bikes. I now ride an '84 Standard on long trips. I sold my old '79 1000 and gave the trailer to a couple in Nebraska. In a week I'm riding 3000 miles through the mountains of Colorado. Two years ago my big brother called me and said he'd gotten a Silverwing and he wondered if I would be interested in having his bare naked '84 1200 for free. When I had recovered from choking I told him I was on my way to his house to get it. God loves bare naked motorcycles. Fiberglass is a wonderful material for golf carts and boats. :D

lovemyzx9r
1984 700 magna
2000 kawi zx9r

Postby lovemyzx9r » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:17 pm

the exhaust cleaned up i had just taken heat shield off in picture its worth to much to change and beautiful for its age. my dad sold his silverwing for 1500 bucks (told him that was way too cheap) it was his backup bike while he was riding an 84 aspencade that he sold with 95k mi. now he rides his 84 interstate and my 84 magna 700, my first bike. love the v4 fun but no ninja. Honda's are the most reliable bikes made i think. they absolutely amaze me.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”