Safety Forum! That's what we need. Headlight modulators?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
gof
Motorcycle: 2004 Titanium Gl1800 & 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade 1200

Safety Forum! That's what we need. Headlight modulators?

Postby gof » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 am

I see that Wingadmin had a light modulator on his earlier Wing. I think this is a MUST! Has anyone been hassled by cops after putting one of these on? Aside from accidents, what I really can't stand is bored cops looking to hassle riders, rather than serve and protect.

When I was 18, I rarely wore a helmet, perhaps only when going onto the interstate. When I was in my 20's, it was optional. When I was in my thirties it was sometimes. Now that I am riding again in my 40's, it's at least a 1/2 helmet and based on the latest motorcycle safety book I am reading, I really think I am going full face - FULL TIME.

Well, nothing like waking up to a news report of another 60 yr old rider killed on Route 2 near Laporte, Indiana yesterday because some brain dead moron pulled out in front of him. Perhaps the moron was texting and driving too?
As reported, he was not wearing his helmet, I hope it would have helped.

I saw a teenage girl yesterday completely trash her car in Merrillville, Indiana. She hit a steel light pole, near a mall. There is NO WAY she could have done this if she was looking at the road. I guarantee she was texting. She was still texting while the cop was trying to help.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Safety Forum! That's what we need. Headlight modulator

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:39 am

I have NEVER been hassled by a cop because of my headlight modulator. Just in case, I always carry printed copies of the federal DOT regulations (both for US and Canada, as I ride in both) that explain that they are permitted, and that they override any state/provincial regulation. You can find a copy of this on the Manuals page, under the "Owners Manuals" for every model bike. Look for "Motorcycle Headlight Modulator Regulations - USA and Canada"

gof
Motorcycle: 2004 Titanium Gl1800 & 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade 1200

Postby gof » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:45 am

WingAdmin wrote:I have NEVER been hassled by a cop because of my headlight modulator. Just in case, I always carry printed copies of the federal DOT regulations (both for US and Canada, as I ride in both) that explain that they are permitted, and that they override any state/provincial regulation. You can find a copy of this on the Manuals page, under the "Owners Manuals" for every model bike. Look for "Motorcycle Headlight Modulator Regulations - USA and Canada"

Perfect. I will carry the document for sure. I think these modulators should be standard equipment on every bike even more so than antilock brakes.

britman
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing and an 82 naked goldwing

Postby britman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:55 am

Ive had people at traffic lights get out of there car and tell me my light is flashing .I reply with good its working its meant to do that so you can see me

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:08 am

britman wrote:Ive had people at traffic lights get out of there car and tell me my light is flashing .I reply with good its working its meant to do that so you can see me

Me too, it happens at least once a week.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:07 pm

I can also say I have been stopped by many people seeing my head light pulse.We have had many a conversation because of the light flashing.I also can tell you I think it has saved me and the wife from accidents more then once.I drove with 50 or 60 guys lately these past few week ends, and I was the only one that had the flashing light.One wife or girl friend said, we should get one. It was a conversation peace for sure talking about it.

Most of them came up to me to say, I think you have problem. Of coarse that started the conversation.
I still say every one should have it on there Bike........they see you a 1/2 mile away. Of coarse the light only works in daylight. :D :D :D
WA9FWT Phil

britman
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing and an 82 naked goldwing

Postby britman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Yeah i have those conversations . Most people thing its a good thing ive had one guy that was pi--ed off with me behind him . I could of passed him but decided not to . I think most of us have extra lights for night riding

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:14 pm

I use my head light modulator all the time. I also believe that the brake light modulator is a must have for safety. Some folks hate both. I don't know why either would bother anyone but they do. I have had riders follow me with their modulator on and it doesn't bother me at all. It actually keeps me aware of where he is and if he is still back there.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Phunnybone
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)
1983 GL650i Silverwing (Sold to someone who'll make it roadworthy again)

Postby Phunnybone » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Ordered one for my 1200 yesterday - should be here tomorrow or Friday :D

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:13 pm

I also have them great product. I pass cops all the time no problems here but they do look.. I have people pull over all the time and let me by.HA HA. I've also had pissed people shaking their fist at me just smile and keep trucking...

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:41 am

Phunnybone wrote:Ordered one for my 1200 yesterday - should be here tomorrow or Friday :D

Glad to see your joining us, you will not be sorry for sure.I'm had mine on a couple of years now. And I swear it has saved my butt more then once.

WA9FWT Phil

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Postby Bamaeagle » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:12 pm

I love my headlight modulator and my brake light modulator. I was riding yesterday and I know for sure at two different intersections that the headlight modulator did it's job. I had cagers coming from the right and was making a right turn and would have pulled out in front of me if not for the headlight modulator. I have had people slow down when I come up behind them with the modulator working. I have passed alot of law officers and none of them have stopped me yet.

See and be seen for sure!!!
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Headlight modulator came in the mail today (short trip from FL to VA - only two days from order to getting it). Of course, there's never very much room to install things like that - so I ended up cramming it into the wiring space above the headlight and ran the sensor out the little rubber plug on the right side of the fairing.

Fortunately, I tested it before I put everything back together. The connector came with one wire loose, didn't take much to fix. Then after I hooked it all up (not bothering with the horn connection), it worked on low beam and my high beam wouldn't come on at all. Double-checked by hooking the original connector back up and both high and low beam worked. The PO had a spare bulb in the trunk, so I hooked it into the modulator and it works in both high and low. So, I installed the spare (and now will have to buy another) and will probably keep the old one as an emergency spare).

Sensor works fine where I have it and once it got dark I had normal headlights again like it's supposed to have.

oldeaglerider1
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade 1200

Postby oldeaglerider1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:15 pm

I had a harley roadking for 8 years and put a modulator on it after seeing a bike in heavy city traffic with one. I could see him about a half mile away and had to have one! It worked ok and only had one complaint from a guy in a pickup who said it annoyed him as I was behind him. I had it set for the long pulse on high beam, and I could switch it off simply by using low beam. A sensor turned it off at night.
All in all it worked ok, the police never looked twice, but it didn't prevent people from not seeing me and turning in front of me. I wouldn't depend on them totally for safety.
Good defensive riding, and anticipating what will happen is still needed. Not sure I can recomend a book that I like on the subject of safety so, I'll hold off for now.
Not riding a harley anymore, I now have an 84 Aspencade and its a lot better bike!! Nice tail ligthts, which I value for safety also. Love my new old wing and the info I got here about its heating up and charging issues. It really rides and runs great! I'm 59 and my riding partner is 82.
Kudos from oldeaglerider1

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Never been stopped by the police and today I had another biker point out to me my headlight was blinking. I explained to him the reason. He didn't seem to interested. Harley rider looking to find fault in a Japanese bike.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:10 am

The modulator I installed blinks on both high and low beam. To shut it off in the daytime, I just switch to the opposite headlight setting and back within a second. To turn it back on, I do the same. So far, I think it's kept a couple of people from pulling out in front of me. Yesterday though, a cop wasn't paying attention and almost pulled out in front of me - but saw me at the last second and didn't.

No cops bother me because of the headlight flashing. Only a couple of people at stoplights have said anything to me. A few days ago, I was coming up to a stoplight behind someone in the left (straight) lane and they started pulling over to the right - fortunately I looked in my mirrors as a nice big red fire engine was coming up behind us at a rapid clip :o

One of the first things I'm gonna make the better half buy for the '83 Silverwing she got for her birthday is a headlight modulator :!:

oldeaglerider1

Postby oldeaglerider1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:59 pm

Safety is a constant thing for me and I always think about it. I see Darksider is into tires, after a lowside crash on underinflated tires and overloaded, I now try to check my tires before every ride.
On the headlight modulator, used one for 7 years, the best feature was the horn thing. Hooking its horn wire up it flashed the headlight every time the horn was used, it works even at night. Its a real heads up for that driver thinking about turning into my space. Its better than just a hey! I'm here horn beep.
It is possible to even the odds In our favor!
Ride safe! Oldeaglerider1

oldeaglerider1

Postby oldeaglerider1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:27 am

This is a neat forum, but I am new to this! First time doing chat on the internet. Any suggestions about how it works would be appreciated. Lots of folks out there with a bike just like mine! It is fun to ride and talk to other riders!
I notice that my thoughts get to other safety topics other than modulators. Do I need to change topics, or does this evolve into general safety discussions over time?
My thinking about headlight modulators changed over time.
oldeaglerider1
84 aspencade

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:53 pm

oldeaglerider1 wrote:This is a neat forum, but I am new to this! First time doing chat on the internet. Any suggestions about how it works would be appreciated. Lots of folks out there with a bike just like mine! It is fun to ride and talk to other riders!
I notice that my thoughts get to other safety topics other than modulators. Do I need to change topics, or does this evolve into general safety discussions over time?
My thinking about headlight modulators changed over time.
oldeaglerider1
84 aspencade

Its best to stick to the topic, but we do at times wonder off. ;) If there is some thing specfic you would like to talk about, start a new trend...Also welcome too the best site out here :D :D :D

WA9FWT Phil

oldeaglerider1

Postby oldeaglerider1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:39 pm

Thanks for the comeback WA9FWT! My name is Ken!
I am in the process of much needed maintenance of my newly acquired ride, an 84 aspencade. It is a great bike!

On the modulators, I put mine in the headlight bezel of the other bike and hardwired it to the wires on the headlight connector; easy, and with soldered wires. I'm thinking shrink wrap would beat out using electrical tape but it's new to me.
This Goldwing Docs is the best! :D

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:01 am

oldeaglerider1 wrote:Thanks for the comeback WA9FWT! My name is Ken!
I am in the process of much needed maintenance of my newly acquired ride, an 84 aspencade. It is a great bike!

On the modulators, I put mine in the headlight bezel of the other bike and hardwired it to the wires on the headlight connector; easy, and with soldered wires. I'm thinking shrink wrap would beat out using electrical tape but it's new to me.
This Goldwing Docs is the best! :D

Ken, your right about the shrink wrap, which is best.

WA9FWT Phil

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:29 pm

WA9FWT wrote:Ken, your right about the shrink wrap, which is best.

WA9FWT Phil

The problem with most electrical tape is that the adhesive melts at temperatures commonly found in vehicles. This causes the tape to slide free, exposing wires and causing shorts. I will sometimes use electrical tape in vehicles when it's inconvenient/impossible to use heat shrink tubing, but whenever I do, I ALWAYS wrap a nylon wire tie tightly around the electrical tape. This keeps the tape in place, and keeps the adhesive from running out/away/drying out.

oldeaglerider1

Postby oldeaglerider1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Yea, I gotta get on to this shrink wrap for wiring. Some even seal out moisture with a sealant inside! Looking at my "new" 84 Aspencade I noticed the main wiring harness is wrapped with what looks like black tape. Wonder if thats original?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:25 pm

oldeaglerider1 wrote:Yea, I gotta get on to this shrink wrap for wiring. Some even seal out moisture with a sealant inside! Looking at my "new" 84 Aspencade I noticed the main wiring harness is wrapped with what looks like black tape. Wonder if thats original?

Yes, that's pretty much standard for all bikes (and a lot of cars).

Return to “Goldwing Chat”