Oilbag your cables?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Oilbag your cables?

Postby tom84std » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:53 pm

About five years ago I was on my '79 200 miles from home when I broke a throttle cable. I tried to reroute them to use the PUSH cable instead, only to have IT break as well. Judging by the look of the broken ends, there was a lot of corrosion. About halfway down is where they broke and they were rusty. Riding a motorcycle 200 miles while leaning over, operating the throttle by hand ain't no fun. I'm getting all the details in order on my '84 for a 3000 mile ride beginning this weekend, so I ordered a new Motion Pro pair. Some guys say modern cables don't need oil, others say they do. I dunno. I hung my new cables an hour ago with oilbags filled with 50 WT motor oil, I'm waiting on the "drip". I prefer that method over the cable oiler method. I'm more concerned with corrosion than I am friction. Either way, I feel that 50 WT motor oil will help with both. What do you guys say?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Oilbag your cables?

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:03 pm

I did it once using 40 weight oil, and it worked just fine - until cold weather, when my throttle started feeling a bit mushy, and the return wasn't quite as "snappy" as I was used to.

I now just use graphite lubricant for the cables, and set them up on my maintenance schedule to change out every so many years, before corrosion can have any kind of an effect.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:00 pm

I can see where the heavy weight oil will keep the moisture out , but so does the power injection lub you see on the market.Very easy to use....The last can I bought was at the Honda shop ( Cable Life ) It displaces moisture, and prevents rust,and thats what I use on my cycle and boat too.......Over the years I always see the barrel end of the cable is were it breaks. So there I use a heavy dose of corrosion preventive
compound " NYK " brand. I think the last tube I bought was from Radio -Shack.I also use that on all bulbs installed.
www.protectall.com

WA9FWT Phil

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:29 am

Admin, I think you hit the nail on the head. To simply replace them every few years is probably the better strategy. I'm reasonably certain the two which broke on my '79 were probably the cables that came with the bike new. I'm also reasonably sure the ones on my '84 are probably OEM as well. While pondering this week's trip I couldn't help but recall how miserable I was riding all that distance bent over operating the throttle by hand. Not to mention what it did to my back. Replacing a fairly inexpensive part in the comfort of my own workshop with a full set of tools as opposed to being out on the road with only the bare essentials. I've always treated tires the same way. The expense of a new set of them is a fraction of the expense of an emergency room visit.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”