Battery blew up

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
punkies
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 interstate

Battery blew up

Postby punkies » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:08 am

Hi everybody greetings from South Africa,i took my sweatypie in to replace the the pipes with stainless steel dura pipes last week so the guy doing the job for me told me to disconect the battery terminals wicth i did , there were no other wires present that was conected to the battery so when the oke taged the new pipes all of a sudden there was a hellova bang almost like a car that buckfired inside the workshop were we were at, and we all look at each other as if wat happend, that is when i noticed smoke coming out uner the seat were the battery is situated and true as bob the whole top of the battery blew completely off, we could not figure how this could be,so i had to get a new one and put me back of about eighty dollers give or take , that night staring at the bike trying to figure this phenomina out and the only conclusion i could come to is this,the over flow pipe from the battery hangs out beneath the motor and when the guy taged witch made a spark and released the gasses this went into the over flow pipe of the battery and caused a chemical reaction wicth exploded inside the battery and blew the top half off,so guys let this be a lesson for us all remove battry completely from the bike if you are going to do some welding,i just that i should this with all of you,i will be adding photos of my new pipes in this week cheers fo now.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Battery blew up

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:30 am

Batteries, as they work, create highly explosive hydrogen gas. The "air space" inside them is filled with hydrogen. The lower the battery fluid level gets, the more hydrogen is inside it, and the more dangerous it is.

Just as you have surmised, the overflow vent tube allows hydrogen to escape, and the spark from the welding (or from any open flame) must have caused the battery to explode. This can be extremely dangerous, as it can spray battery acid in every direction, which can blind you if it gets in your eyes.

Glad nobody was hurt!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”