The curse of the Wings...you cannot go back.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
gof
Motorcycle: 2004 Titanium Gl1800 & 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade 1200

The curse of the Wings...you cannot go back.

Postby gof » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:20 pm

What is it about the Gold Wings? Is it just me?

I have owned a few bikes before I bought my 1984 Aspencade in 1997. I remember thinking I would not like the larger size and windshield, the quiet car sounding engine. I felt it would be "odd" for a 30 year old guy to own a Wing. That was shortly before my first test ride. Of course I bought that used Goldwing after that test ride from a local dealer on a whim since my girlfriends Dad was into Wings. I rode the Wing steadily the first 3 years, less and less after that and parked it in the garage after battery troubles, which I thought might be the stator, in the spring of 2008. I did not ride for 3-4 years.

A few months ago, at 44 years old, I saw a customized Yamaha Warrior online and became obsessed with owning one. I was impressed when I rode one with its sound and power and thump of the V Twin air cooled 102 c.i. engine. I bought one and began riding it and customizing it. I decided to fix the Wings issues and sell it to help cover the cost of the Warrior.

This led to quite a few frustrated posts here at Goldwingdocs. Last weekend was the first trip on the repaired Wing. I finally got a legal license plate after working out wiring, battery, clutch, brakes and starter issues. I decided to get the plate because I noticed I was starting to enjoy those shakedown "test" runs more and more. The game was afoot.

Last weekend, I took a ride with the girlfriend about 3 hours away, spent a day hiking, then an overnight and a slow ride back, all on the backroads. Aside from some leakage from the clutch cylinder cover up top, it was a great ride and picture perfect weather.

Last night, feeling the Warrior was a bit neglected lately, I took it out for a trip about 25 minutes away for dinner. Ugh! While I did enjoy some of the ride...anything over 50 mph became uncomfortable. Wind noise, helmet wind buffeting, vibrating engine, rough roads, etc. THE CURSE OF THE WING HAS STRUCK.

I thought I wanted something faster, badder, slicker, louder, more custom, but I cannot ignore it. If you like to ride, your going to want to ride further. Your going to want to take a trip. Your going to want to be comfortable and not vibrating after an hour. I can't believe I am going to type this, I think I need to sell the Warrior and get a newer Wing.

I still feel strange at 44...thinking about giving into the Wings lure, after all aren't they only for "older" riders? Once you own one, how can you go back to anything else? Even a test ride on a 2003 St1300 recently was not enough to turn my head from the Wings.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: The curse of the Wings...you cannot go back.

Postby themainviking » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:34 pm

I can add to this, although being older, a wing is totally acceptable by all as the bike for me, :lol:

I rode Harleys for 47 years, but at a diminishing reward for the past fifteen, with tendonitis where the tendons and nerves from my arms join my spine. After perhaps a hundred miles, my arms would be almost useless, and would be very painful when coming back to life. Solution? Try a Goldwing GL1800 that my Harley riding buddy had just switched to because of nerve damage in his back and neck. So, because it was such a lovely ride, I bought one.

Fast forward a couple of months to the Harley Demo rides, first in June last year at our rally up here known as the Ride for Sight. I tried out a brand new HD Ultra Classic. Nope, not gonna get one a those. After the wing, I think the Ultra Classic is the biggest piece of crap that Harley has ever foisted off on their loyal customers. Follow on to July and the Harley Demo rides at Wing Ding and there I tried a Road Glide, with the 110 CI engine. Better for power but just as bad for vibration. Both these new rubber mounted HDs that all their riders say do not shake anymore, shook so bad that in only twenty minutes, my tendonitis was telling me "GET OFF"

I have several friends here from ages 39 all the way up to 84 on Goldwings, and it does not matter what others try or say, they are sticking with their wings. Only two years ago, I was still saying that I would rather push my Harley than ride a Honda. Well, it is time to take my hoof out of my mouth. I may keep my Harleys for parades and for scooting from strip club to strip club ( :lol: ) but they will never be my main squeeze again.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

st4r50
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500 crashed
2002 GL 1800A

Postby st4r50 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Wings are only an old man's bike if you ride it like one.

The wing is a serious competitor for overall performance.

I wish I knew 25 years ago how much I would love a wing. I tell everyone that. :mrgreen:
KG4USG

gof
Motorcycle: 2004 Titanium Gl1800 & 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade 1200

Postby gof » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:17 pm

themainviking wrote:I can add to this, although being older, a wing is totally acceptable by all as the bike for me, :lol:
Fast forward a couple of months to the Harley Demo rides, first in June last year at our rally up here known as the Ride for Sight. I tried out a brand new HD Ultra Classic. Nope, not gonna get one a those. After the wing,

I stopped at Harley dealership today for the first time ever. I did see some bobber type and some semi customs that caught my eye, but I have to say the bags, fairing and general styling on the touring bikes looked dated...very outdated. In my opinion some of the worst fairing designs I have ever seen. They looked like 60's futuristic furniture. At any rate, I knew any of those bikes would leave me with the same problem...shaky, tired and unable to cover long distances easily. When they asked "if they could help me?" I said, "No, I don't think you can". I guess I could have been a smart a** and asked if they had any Wings that came in on trade?

I just remembered. My ex-girlfriends father George, way back when, they guy who got me into Wings, was later killed in a freak motorcycle accident. He was a very safe rider and it was not his fault. But I was shocked to hear...that he was not killed on his Honda, he had recently went to a Harley. So George, this next Wings for you!

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Postby zamboni920 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:30 pm

My first Goldwing was a 1977 GL1000.....standard/naked. I was about 22 years old at the time. Before that I had owned a couple vintage/classics, but since that first Goldwing, I have never owned anything else. Right now, Goldwing # 4 and #5 is sitting in my driveway. I love the look and I love the ride.....it is as simple as that.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:00 am

I have owned and rode many types of bikes in my life time, there are some benefits of having an older brother that always changing bikes every few years, He was ten years older than I was, I'm sitting at 52 now but I had several bikes before my 81 Goldwing I got it much later in life, I had some Kawasaki's 750's I had a Yamaha XS-11 and I got me a 03 Nomad, then while I owned the Nomad my brother died and I got his project bike.. Ginger, my current ride.. I found myself riding the 1100 more than the Nomad fella's, I enjoyed it more in turns and I loved the way I fit into the seat, I feel like I'm sitting upright when I ride...I like it..I sold the Nomad and made Ginger look worth something...She is running perfectly and all I ever do anymore is get on her and ride her, and I love it...I went to the park today and I just parked and had something to eat and drink and guy's would ride by in there vehicles and boy did the heads turn..I caught one guy walking by staring as her, he actually stopped and started getting nosey, I may get a new bike later but this 81 still has it all man and I'm keeping her..So this wannabee mechanic has a really reliable cycle...

Bouvier1
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl 1800A

Postby Bouvier1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:54 am

I have had various bikes in my 44yrs of riding from a 250 bsa to an Ariel Sq 4 (wish I'd kept that) a couple of hondas and a couple of BMWs. I enjoyed all of them at their respective times but I think that it is a different type of enjoyment from the wings.
Owned Goldwings for the last 20yrs and definitely will not change to any other. I don't particularly like the look of the 'New' wing but it may grow on me and I might decide to go for one (£24,000 over here I think about $36,000).
I think it is because you seem to sit 'in' them and you are therefore part of them rather than 'plonked' on top plus I get a pleasure whether I am riding long distance or simply to the shops something that I never got from the other bikes.
I test rode a new HD ultra classic in 2010 in Chicago and did enjoy the feel but was put off with having to wait a few seconds when you switched it on for the oil pressure to build also it didn't have the cornering ability of the Goldwing and was definitely designed for the US roads and not anywhere else. Something you cannot say about the wing.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”