Triumph Trophy - Does Honda needs to step it up?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Triumph Trophy - Does Honda needs to step it up?

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:02 am

With Honda more or less leaving the rider technology of the Goldwing stagnant for the last 12 years, and with the advancement of cheap modern technology, The Goldwing seems to be in danger of having its turf encroached upon. $1000 CB radios, GPS systems with features equal those found in portable GPS units eight years ago, hard-wired intercom and audio systems, intercoms with always-open mics, utilizing dynamic mic technology that was state of the art 50 years ago.

I just read this article in the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News on the new Triumph Trophy. It has virtually every feature the current Goldwing has, but uses Bluetooth for audio/helmet interface, has an electrically adjustable windshield, and adjustable seat height. And you can be pretty sure it's not going to cost $24,000. Not that a 1200cc triple will compare to a 1800cc six in terms of engine performance, but it's also going to be quite a bit lighter - which is a plus to a lot of people.

I think as more and more manufacturers start realizing that people are adding all kinds of aftermarket technology to their bikes, that it would make sense to design it into the bikes from the start, and charge extra for it. As this happens, I think it's definitely going to encroach upon Goldwing sales.

Here's the article from MCN:

Triumph Motorcycles has announced the launch of its all-new shaft-drive Trophy, marking its official entry into the heavyweight touring segment.

At the heart of the Trophy is the same liquid-cooled inline triple engine developed for the Tiger Explorer. The shaft drive, 1215cc motor delivers a claimed 132 bhp @ 8900 rpm and 89 lb-ft of torque @ 6450 rpm and features a counter-rotating balancer shaft to quell unwanted vibration. A torsional damping system transfers power from the gearbox to the shaft drive through a sprung bevel gear, and the Trophy's metalastic shaft drive is designed to allow a certain amount of compliance in the shaft assembly. Triumph says that these features help to provide a refined drivetrain and overall chassis performance that ensures smooth and controllable power delivery.

Triumph also claims that the Trophy is the most technologically advanced Triumph ever, incorporating its new ride-by-wire throttle, traction control, electronic cruise control, electronic suspension, an electrically adjustable screen, an integrated audio system with Bluetooth functionality, linked ABS, and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). The rider seat height can also be adjusted between 30.3" and 31.1".

Two models will be available: the Trophy and the Trophy SE. Either model can be selected in Pacific Blue or Lunar Silver paint schemes. Both models feature headlight positional adjustment, center stand, rider seat height adjustment, lockable cockpit storage box with 12V power socket, a 6.6 gal gas tank and Triumph's unique Dynamic Luggage System (TDLS), which helps maintain chassis balance by decoupling the mass from the chassis and allowing each pannier to move through a 5° arc, thus optimizing stability. The Trophy boasts 31 liters of storage capacity per pannier, with additional storage available by adding the optional 55 liter, powered "Plug and Play" top box. The "Plug and Play" feature allows easy fitting and removal without the need to connect and disconnect cables or wires. It features a 12V socket on the inside to charge a camera, phone or any other electrical device while on the move.

Pricing will be set in early September 2012 with the first bikes available in dealerships in October.

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Re: Triumph Trophy - Does Honda needs to step it up?

Postby tom84std » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Lord I hope not. I may be a lone dinosaur from a bygone era, but I hope not. I ride a motorcycle although I have two fully functional automobiles. I ride a motorcycle because I want it to be an adventure rather than just a trip. Hell I WANT to be exposed. If it rains I WANT to get wet. I want to listen to the engine every minute of every trip. I know a lot of guys want to have stereos installed on board but to me that's a terrible distraction and in my mind a risk of life. I don't feel comfortable on a trip unless I can hear every sound the machine makes. My passenger communicates with me by taps and nudges. I know what she means and my attention is never distracted from keeping us alive. Motorcycle manufacturers seem to want to make their machines into high end luxury automobiles. I hope I'm not the only one who tapes a small map onto the tank inside a ziplock bag and listens to the traffic and the road and the bike instead of stupid music produced by freaks who don't ride. Does that make me an old fart or simply a purist?

SKMURDOCK
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby SKMURDOCK » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:50 am

tom84std wrote: Does that make me an old fart or simply a purist?

Neither, it just makes you normal for you. We all have our own normal, and some want cupholders!

Admin makes a really good point - whether or not you use modern technology, Honda is missing out when they do not bring their on-bike technology completely into this century. I know a few folks that are thinking their next Goldwing might actually be the Beemer 1600!

st4r50
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500 crashed
2002 GL 1800A

Postby st4r50 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:02 am

i can't wait to see one. I don't want one but I'd take a test ride. It looks pretty sporty.

I agree with most, Honda needs to step up on this ancient technology they are putting on the wing.
KG4USG

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:48 am

Agreed they need to step it up, but what the GW has going for it is its low center weight. I was following a sport tourer last week in my car, and it was a little windy out, and he was being blown a little left and right. The Wing really does not allow it that much due to how it is set up.

Now, niceties....I love to hear the engine, but I also need some them music to go with it, so give me a radio, I am fine. I would be just as happy with a throttle lock instead of a cruise control, I just need to enjoy the surroundings.

Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Postby Possum51 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:25 pm

tom84std wrote:Lord I hope not. I may be a lone dinosaur from a bygone era, but I hope not. I ride a motorcycle although I have two fully functional automobiles. I ride a motorcycle because I want it to be an adventure rather than just a trip. Hell I WANT to be exposed. If it rains I WANT to get wet. I want to listen to the engine every minute of every trip. I know a lot of guys want to have stereos installed on board but to me that's a terrible distraction and in my mind a risk of life. I don't feel comfortable on a trip unless I can hear every sound the machine makes. My passenger communicates with me by taps and nudges. I know what she means and my attention is never distracted from keeping us alive. Motorcycle manufacturers seem to want to make their machines into high end luxury automobiles. I hope I'm not the only one who tapes a small map onto the tank inside a ziplock bag and listens to the traffic and the road and the bike instead of stupid music produced by freaks who don't ride. Does that make me an old fart or simply a purist?

Ditto Tom, I feel the same way. My bike is my joy and therapy, If I wanted all those gadgets I'd drive my car........I know alot have picked at me for removing the radio from my GL1200, but thats not why I ride and my attention needs to be on whats around me not head banging to the stereo.....just had to add my .02
Rick.....

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:42 am

It's still a motorcycle, not a Gulfstream, or a Bently!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”