Well, I've been shorted, again...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Well, I've been shorted, again...

Postby tom84std » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:58 pm

I'm planning on leaving at first light tomorrow. Heading through New Mexico to Colorado once more. See new scenery, visit some friends and my big sister. I'm afraid of original factory throttle cables on an '84 motorcycle, so I ordered a new pair. Ordered by Make/Year/and model. They came in yesterday. I took the old ones off and made a comparison. Exactly the same configuration, very good! Exactly six inches short, very bad! Leaving tomorrow, too late to get others. I removed all unnecessary bits and figured all morning. What now?

I found that if I routed the cables under the right side of the false tank and made a fairly sharp U-turn on the other side they would reach, although I do not trust the angles and I feel the need to replace them at next convenience with the correct ones. In this configuration they seem to have just enough play and work surprisingly smooth. It'll have to do for now anyway..

I felt so relieved that I had finally got a jury-rigged configuration I felt I could trust, I was even inspired to wash the thing...
Colorado on the morrow!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Well, I've been shorted, again...

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Might be worth taking along the old ones you took off, just as insurance should the new ones break along the way...

Return to “Goldwing Chat”