Ads in my post

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
MaconWing
Motorcycle: '04 GL1800A Titanium

Ads in my post

Postby MaconWing » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:24 am

Ok, new here. Why am I getting Spam added to the bottom of my post?

David in the woods
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Re: Ads in my post

Postby David in the woods » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:52 am

I find this ad with the banana on it is one of the most aggravating type ads that appear online! They purport that they will provide valuable information, but never reveal anything other than 30 minutes of useless verbiage about why you should buy their diet plan! :o

What a boring crock! I am not buying! :evil:

I'd rather eat a pickle or ride my motor . . . sickle! :D

David in the woods

Postby David in the woods » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:04 am

MaconWing wrote:Ok, new here. Why am I getting Spam added to the bottom of my post?

You know, I did a quote on your post, fully thinking it was part of your post! From your comment, and looking back, I now see there is an ad for Orr Honda (auto) in Hot Springs, AR. At least this one is not offensive, and I have a good, knowledgable GW riding buddie that works there as a mechanic, and has been invaluable assistance with my sickle!

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:18 am

Ads cannot be stopped. Companies like google control the internet and can override anything and everything that should block ads. They have the ability to insert them anywhere. I am now finding sites that put flyovers in the middle of what you are trying to read...There is no close button. You move your screen up and down, the flyover moves with it to keep you from reading around it. The only way to get rid of it is to open it and go through the waste of time to view the ad. I sometimes get so mad, I make note of the site and make sure I never go there again, regardless of the info they might have that I am looking for. Same thing for news items on the net. They insert video commericals like tv commercials that you must watch first before the story arrives. Ever wonder why Netflicks popups has always been able to override your popup blocker????? They have been doing it for years. Lets face it....The internet SUCKS.....The companies initially charged with trying to stop spam are the biggest offenders of spamming you with everything they can jam at you against your will. Yahoo and Google, worst offenders of spam. So much for my rant...sorry...not having a good morning already....Think I will get off this puter and go outside and get something done before it gets way too hot!!

David in the woods

Postby David in the woods » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:35 am

twostrokes48 wrote:Ads cannot be stopped. Companies like google control the internet and can override anything and everything that should block ads. They have the ability to insert them anywhere. I am now finding sites that put flyovers in the middle of what you are trying to read...There is no close button. You move your screen up and down, the flyover moves with it to keep you from reading around it. The only way to get rid of it is to open it and go through the waste of time to view the ad. I sometimes get so mad, I make note of the site and make sure I never go there again, regardless of the info they might have that I am looking for. Same thing for news items on the net. They insert video commericals like tv commercials that you must watch first before the story arrives. Ever wonder why Netflicks popups has always been able to override your popup blocker????? They have been doing it for years. Lets face it....The internet SUCKS.....The companies initially charged with trying to stop spam are the biggest offenders of spamming you with everything they can jam at you against your will. Yahoo and Google, worst offenders of spam. So much for my rant...sorry...not having a good morning already....Think I will get off this puter and go outside and get something done before it gets way too hot!!

I am assuming that the ads are a part of this site because ad space has been sold to them. :?:

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:35 am

I'm sure it is. In this case, it would be justified to keep this site free for all of us to use. Besides, they are not intrusive as some like I was talking about. I don't have a problem with the ads on this site.

MaconWing
Motorcycle: '04 GL1800A Titanium

Postby MaconWing » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:39 am

When they are inserted in my post it feels like I'm endorsing the ad. :(. Just sayin

David in the woods

Postby David in the woods » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:58 pm

MaconWing wrote:When they are inserted in my post it feels like I'm endorsing the ad. :(. Just sayin

That is what I thought. Figured you were getting a piece of the action! :roll:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:50 am

As mentioned, the ads on the site are what pay for the hosting fees for the site (which are not insignificant). Any time you click on an ad, a few cents gets paid toward hosting the site. It doesn't quite pay for everything, but it certainly helps.

The ads show up in two places: The newest unread post in a thread that you have read, and at the bottom of the thread. An ad may appear below your message if it is the most recent message posted in a thread - but it won't stay there, as soon as someone else posts, it moves on to show below that one.

Google does not determine the TYPE of ads shown on a site - it is the site owner that does that. If you are visiting a site that has pop-ups, pop-overs, or anything of the sort, it is because the site OWNER has put those ads in place. This site will NEVER have pop-ups. I HATE them.

As for the content of the ads, talking to others about what you see in an ad is fairly pointless - everybody sees different ads. Google places the ads, based on your browsing history and what it has figured out you're interested in. Give it a try: go browse the web for a specific item - refrigerators, TV's, phones, whatever - do a few Google searches, browse a few sites that sell the item you have picked. Then come back here, and more times than not, the ads you will be shown will relate to that item that you were just browsing for on the Internet.

I've had to explain this concept, rather uncomfortably, to people who complained that they were seeing ads for dating services, foreign wives, marital aids, and so on. :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:54 am

Incidentally, I split this thread off from the original thread and made it its own topic, as it had diverted a fair bit.

David in the woods

Postby David in the woods » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Yeah! Sorry for chasing that rabbit, but it did generate a lot of discussion! :lol:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”