trailer towing laws

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
gunner54727
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL1500SE
1980 Yamaha XS1100
1996 Kinetic Moped

trailer towing laws

Postby gunner54727 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:26 pm

I understand that some states do NOT allow a motorcycle to tow a trailer. Does anyone know which states those are? We are planning a trip, probably in late 2013, and I'd like to know what states I would have to avoid if we need the trailer. I don't have a set route as yet, so I haven't started checking state by state laws. If someone already knows, it would shorten my study time considerably.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: trailer towing laws

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:34 pm

That's news to me. I have never heard of states banning the towing of trailers by motorcycles, and a quick search on Google did not find any mention of this being illegal either. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

st4r50
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500 crashed
2002 GL 1800A

Postby st4r50 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:40 pm

I have searched for about an hour and found nothing. It's legal in VA but the maximum speed towing a trailer appears to be 55 mph, but I've never heard of it till now. I've never heard of it being enforced.
KG4USG

gunner54727
1980 Yamaha XS1100
1996 Kinetic Moped

Postby gunner54727 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:59 pm

I personally didn't know it either, but my son's inlaws ran into it awhile back when they were traveling. They got fined and had to leave the trailer at the border until they returned. I'm not sure where they were (we don't speak very often).

Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Postby Possum51 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:42 pm

AMA has a state by state motorcycle law page that lists the state MC laws/requirements. Thats about the best I could find online about it.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rig ... ateabbr=ga
Rick.....

st4r50
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500 crashed
2002 GL 1800A

Postby st4r50 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:01 pm

I'm still searching for anyplace it's not legal...

I found this for UK

Code: Select all

Legally for a solo motorcycle to tow it must have an engine capacity over 125cc.
 The trailer must not exceed 1 metre in width.
 The distance from the rear wheel spindle to the back of the trailer must not exceed 2.5 metres.
 The Motorcycle must be marked with it’s kerbside weight.
 The trailer must be marked with its unladen weight.
 Maximum towed weight, including the trailer and it’s load must not exceed 150 Kg. (330 lb.) or two thirds of the motorcycles unladen weight, whichever is least.
 The UK speed limit is 60 mph on dual carriageways and motorways.
 Lighting regulations are the same as other small trailers.
 You cannot tow more than one trailer and passengers are not allowed to be carried inside the trailer.

Legal requirements vary from country to country and in some European countries it is illegal to tow with a motorbike. In those counties where it is illegal towing is permitted to visiting UK citizens during their stay. We would recommend you check with the relevant authorities before travelling just to be sure.

A motorcycle/sidecar combination is treated as a solo motorcycle. A trike unit is legally treated as a 3 wheeled motorcycle (a motorcycle/sidecar combination is not!). A trike can tow up to a maximum gross weight of 254kg. All other trailer details are as per C + U Regulations.

Code: Select all

Country    Allowed    Comments
Austria    Yes    Same laws apply as to car trailers.
Belgium    Yes & No    Motorcycles are allowed to pull a trailer, but sidecars are not.
Czech Republic    Yes    
Denmark    Yes & No    Only trailers with more than 1 wheel are authorized.
Finland    Yes    The trailer weight can not be more than 50% of the motorcycle weight. If the trailer has a suspension, maximum speed allowed is 80 kph, else 60 kph.
France    Yes    
Germany    Yes    Limited to 60 kph, ie, not on motorways.
Greece    ?    Not clear
Ireland    No    Since 2009
Italy    No    There is no specific law authorizing them, therefore, they are illegal.
Luxembourg    Yes    Maximum weight is 150 kgs, on motorways, speed limit is 90 kph, 75 kph on country roads.
Norway    Yes    
Portugal    ?    Not clear
Spain    No    
Sweden    Yes    Trailers need to be homologated.
Switzerland    Yes    Maximum speed 80 kph
The Netherlands    Yes    Maximum speed 80 kph
UK    Yes    The trailers need to be homologated, and can only be pulled by a motorcycle with more than 125cc.
KG4USG

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:58 am

gunner54727 wrote:I understand that some states do NOT allow a motorcycle to tow a trailer. Does anyone know which states those are? We are planning a trip, probably in late 2013, and I'd like to know what states I would have to avoid if we need the trailer. I don't have a set route as yet, so I haven't started checking state by state laws. If someone already knows, it would shorten my study time considerably.

Gunner if you find anything out will you please post it here, I'm a towing Mother trucker man...I'd also like to know... :shock:

Rudy the Kit Maker
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Std

Postby Rudy the Kit Maker » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:36 am

To my knowledge, there is no US state that prohibits motorcycles while towing trailers as long as the trailers are tagged, and operated per that state's laws.
If any state had such a law, there would be an awful lot of people being cited while they visit those states.
If it's not in violation with DOT and towed with the proper chains and lighting and doesn't pose a hazard or impede the flow of traffic, you are good to go.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:20 am

Rudy the Kit Maker wrote:To my knowledge, there is no US state that prohibits motorcycles while towing trailers as long as the trailers are tagged, and operated per that state's laws.
If any state had such a law, there would be an awful lot of people being cited while they visit those states.
If it's not in violation with DOT and towed with the proper chains and lighting and doesn't pose a hazard or impede the flow of traffic, you are good to go.

That's what I understood as well. And I would assume Canada is the same, as they generally mirror US laws.

gunner54727
1980 Yamaha XS1100
1996 Kinetic Moped

Postby gunner54727 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Ok, I think I've found the briar here. First let me say that AMA doesn't have a thing on towing, just regular cycle laws, but I found that the recpirocy laws aren't always equal. In my state we don't need plates or seperate insurance for this light a trailer, but other states do for their residents. No plate and no insurance entering another state, then add an officer having "a bad day" and a ticket can be given. You can beat the rap, but you have to go to court, and we all know that that is a real hassle. I suggest getting plates and insurance, even if it's not required at home, if you plan to cross state lines. At the very least, check the states that you plan to cross. Thanks to all who posted.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Here's what I do in this case, I printed the trailer registration laws in Kansas and I keep a copy of it on the bike,,,In Kansas if the trailer weighs less than 2k lbs you don't have to get it tagged or register it, but you will pay property taxes on it once a year... Now in States with tag laws, if you have a copy of this printed out and on the bike just show it to the officer, if he gives you a ticket after you show him this copy, then he really is a butt head...The judge will be more than upset with the cop I think..Plus it would make him look like a complete idiot if he wrote you a ticket after you showed him your States laws and tell the judge you showed the officer the copy of your State laws :shock: .. So what's someone supposed to do register in every State everytime you just pass through it :shock: ....I agree get a plate if you can to avoid getting pulled over in the first place even if it cost a little.. No tag is a good reason to pull you over..... :shock:

Return to “Camping and Trailers”