Rain, racing and broken cables

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Rain, racing and broken cables

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:52 am

My uncle races a Honda Accord on a dirt track at Oshweken Speedway in Southern Ontario. He's been doing it for years, and has said for a while that this year is his last. The last race of the season was this past Friday, so I really wanted to go up and see him race. He was second place in the points standing for the year, so if he won this race (or if the points leader didn't finish), he would win the championship.

As Friday approached, the weather looked dire. A huge weather system was coming in from the west. I headed out on my bike for the 5 hour ride to the track around noon or so. The weather was good for the ride, nice and cool, a bit of sun. I got there in plenty of time, and watched the heats.

In between the heats and the feature races, there was a 5-minute downpour, and the track turned into a mudbath. They brought the grooming machinery out, and spent half an hour trying to dry the track. Then the sprint cars came out for their feature race, and really tore up the track.

When it came time for my uncle's race, the track was dry, but rutted. The cars were being thrown all over the place. Driving a front-wheel-drive Accord, he doesn't have the straight-line acceleration of the other cars, but he can stay low in the corners and out-turn all the faster cars, so that's where he wins it - in the corners. Unfortunately for him, the corners consisted of huge ruts, and he couldn't get any traction, so his advantage was lost. He didn't win the race, so he ended up in 2nd place for the season.

I had been watching the weather warily, knowing the rain was coming. I had set my "drop dead" departure time as 11:00 pm. At 11:30, I got out of the racetrack, and by midnight I was on my bike and headed at full speed toward Toronto, where I was spending the night at the house of a friend of mine.

I got to her house just after 1 am, with a few spatters of rain on my windshield. I quickly thew the cover over my bike and got inside, as the deluge started. Too close!

Saturday, I waited out the rain, and by 1 pm it looked like it had mostly passed. I geared up, pulled the cover off my bike, and headed back home. I hit a couple small showers on the way, but made it through dry. My biggest fear was getting stuck in traffic in a downpour. I have raingear, but riding in the wet is nobody's idea of a good time. As long as I'm moving, my fairing keeps me dry, but sitting still, you just get soaked.

Halfway home, I noticed my throttle was feeling odd - it wasn't returning all the way, and there was a springiness when I tried rotating it all the way closed. I checked it when I got home, and my suspicions were right - the push cable on my throttle had broken. I've never broken a push cable in my life, and I can't say I know of anyone else who has, either!

Sprint Car
Sprint Car

Sprint Car
Sprint Car

My Uncle's Accord
My Uncle's Accord

Racing cars - run what ya brung
Racing cars - run what ya brung

Sad Chevette
Sad Chevette

On the track
On the track

rooferx
Motorcycle: 95 aspy

Re: Rain, racing and broken cables

Postby rooferx » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:24 pm

sounds like a good time,,Racing it awesome when your there,I try to catch a Busch race when i can,end of sept they"ll be in dover im only about 60 miles away,so we"ll see...Glad nothin happened on the road..

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:55 am

Sounds like one of the reasons we even ride bikes. If you drive a car, it's just another boring trip. On a bike, it's an adventure. Several years ago I was about halfway into a 260 mile trip to visit a friend when the PULL cable broke on my 1000. I pulled off the highway and started to reroute the PUSH cable as a PULL cable, when IT broke too! Two broken cables 120 miles from home in a town too small for a motorcycle parts store. I made it home by wrapping the cable inner to a piece of wood and stooping down, operating the throttle by hand pulling on the piece of wood. I made it alright but it took several days for my back to recover from bending over for so long. That was the day I learned my lesson about replacing my cables on a regular basis BEFORE they corrode and break! Glad ya made it without incident!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:57 am

tom84std wrote:Sounds like one of the reasons we even ride bikes. If you drive a car, it's just another boring trip. On a bike, it's an adventure. Several years ago I was about halfway into a 260 mile trip to visit a friend when the PULL cable broke on my 1000. I pulled off the highway and started to reroute the PUSH cable as a PULL cable, when IT broke too! Two broken cables 120 miles from home in a town too small for a motorcycle parts store. I made it home by wrapping the cable inner to a piece of wood and stooping down, operating the throttle by hand pulling on the piece of wood. I made it alright but it took several days for my back to recover from bending over for so long. That was the day I learned my lesson about replacing my cables on a regular basis BEFORE they corrode and break! Glad ya made it without incident!

Yeah - I've ordered both cables for my bike, I figure if one has gone, the other won't be far behind.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:25 pm

Here's a couple videos I took - first the sprint cars, second my uncle (#265):

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:31 pm

WingAdmin wrote:My uncle races a Honda Accord on a dirt track at Oshweken Speedway in Southern Ontario. He's been doing it for years, and has said for a while that this year is his last. The last race of the season was this past Friday, so I really wanted to go up and see him race. He was second place in the points standing for the year, so if he won this race (or if the points leader didn't finish), he would win the championship.

As Friday approached, the weather looked dire. A huge weather system was coming in from the west. I headed out on my bike for the 5 hour ride to the track around noon or so. The weather was good for the ride, nice and cool, a bit of sun. I got there in plenty of time, and watched the heats.

In between the heats and the feature races, there was a 5-minute downpour, and the track turned into a mudbath. They brought the grooming machinery out, and spent half an hour trying to dry the track. Then the sprint cars came out for their feature race, and really tore up the track.

When it came time for my uncle's race, the track was dry, but rutted. The cars were being thrown all over the place. Driving a front-wheel-drive Accord, he doesn't have the straight-line acceleration of the other cars, but he can stay low in the corners and out-turn all the faster cars, so that's where he wins it - in the corners. Unfortunately for him, the corners consisted of huge ruts, and he couldn't get any traction, so his advantage was lost. He didn't win the race, so he ended up in 2nd place for the season.

I had been watching the weather warily, knowing the rain was coming. I had set my "drop dead" departure time as 11:00 pm. At 11:30, I got out of the racetrack, and by midnight I was on my bike and headed at full speed toward Toronto, where I was spending the night at the house of a friend of mine.

I got to her house just after 1 am, with a few spatters of rain on my windshield. I quickly thew the cover over my bike and got inside, as the deluge started. Too close!

Saturday, I waited out the rain, and by 1 pm it looked like it had mostly passed. I geared up, pulled the cover off my bike, and headed back home. I hit a couple small showers on the way, but made it through dry. My biggest fear was getting stuck in traffic in a downpour. I have raingear, but riding in the wet is nobody's idea of a good time. As long as I'm moving, my fairing keeps me dry, but sitting still, you just get soaked.

Halfway home, I noticed my throttle was feeling odd - it wasn't returning all the way, and there was a springiness when I tried rotating it all the way closed. I checked it when I got home, and my suspicions were right - the push cable on my throttle had broken. I've never broken a push cable in my life, and I can't say I know of anyone else who has, either!

P1080111.JPG

P1080112.JPG

P1080116.JPG

P1080117.JPG

P1080115.JPG

P1080121.JPG

Can you tell us where did the cable brake ? on a end ! Just wondering.... :?

I liked the nice steady video's too.

WA9FWT Phil

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:56 am

WA9FWT wrote:Can you tell us where did the cable brake ? on a end ! Just wondering.... :?

I liked the nice steady video's too.

WA9FWT Phil

I don't know yet...I'm still waiting for a replacement, so I haven't taken it apart yet. I'm riding it using just the pull cable for the moment. :)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”