Help for messed-up windshields

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Help for messed-up windshields

Postby tom84std » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:22 am

A few days ago I was riding through the corner of New Mexico on my way back to Texas. I encountered a couple riding a GL1500. Their bike looked perfect with only one exception, the windshield looked horrible. Clouded and milk colored. Surface crazing out the wazoo. I followed them a few miles hoping they'd pull over, I wanted to tell them about a product that would fix that windshield. They didn't stop, and I forgot about it. Kit Wax product in a little yellow bottle called "Scratch Out". Minor scratches can be taken out by hand with an old tee shirt. More serious problems can be polished out with a low RPM soft pad on something like a variable speed drill. The stuff is available at major auto supply stores. I've used it for years. Very similar to a product I used in the Air Force to remove scratches from the aircraft canopies.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Help for messed-up windshields

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:03 am

Thanks for the info. I would like to get some of this. Not sure if it's available in Canada.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

tom84std
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:06 pm

cbx4ever thet have a number you can call to ask about a retailer or to order the stuff yourself.

http://www.kitwax.com/html/whereToBuy.htm

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:40 am

As you probably know the GW shields are made using Polycarbonate, then a hardcoat is applied.
While I am sure the product you mentioned does work in some applications, I would question its usefulness if the shield you described is in that bad condition.
It sounds like the hardcoat is delaminating (surface crazing). If it has in deed "yellowed" through and through, there is no product available that will clear it.
The milk color mentioned is what most of these type products are good to use for. I fear if it has started delaminating/yellowing if is most likely beyond saving!
Having worked w/plastics for over 40years(GM exterior lighting division), I tried "saving" a friends headlamp lenses on a Pontiac Grand Am. There was no crazing present but, there was yellowing. I tried several different brands of these plastic polishers to no avail on these lenses!
Having said all that, I know of no real way to determine if one of these products will work without trying one! I would keep the receipt and if it doesn't work, I would certainly get a refund from the manufacturer!

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks for the expert opinion. I know that the real fix for a messed up windshield is a new windshield. I was more interested in this product for paint scratches.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:31 am

cbx4evr wrote:Thanks for the expert opinion. I know that the real fix for a messed up windshield is a new windshield. I was more interested in this product for paint scratches.

These "plastic" polishing compounds are NOT for use on painted surfaces.
There are excellent minor scratch/swirl removers for that.
If those won't work, starting over w/a very light(white) polishing compound and then a very good polymer surface finisher ( not talking a $5.00 can of wax here) we're talking for example: http://www.amazon.com/Zymol-101-Carbon- ... B000L50ZVI This one is for darker finishes
Depends on how serious one is. There are surface preconditioners, clay bars and on and on for that real show quality finish.

tom84std
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:31 pm

While I have no experience using the product on Honda factory windscreens I have used it on Windjammer screens as well as their fairings. I've used it on other gelcoat as well as painted surfaces with very satisfactory results. KG saddlebags, Honda factory false tank surfaces and especially turn signal and tail lamp lenses with perfect results. Like any polishing compound though there is a limit as to what can be removed before getting down to dissimilar layers. This just has to be kept in mind in each particular application. As I previoulsy stated, this polish seems to be very similar to that which I used in the Air Force, I found the stuff I used there to be effective, although much more labor intensive on the aircraft stainless steel fittings.

wingsailor
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A
1988 GL1500
2005 GL1800

Postby wingsailor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Wondering if "Scratch Out" will work on a helmet visor.

m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Postby m2102 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:46 pm

i have been using a product called NOVUS,i get it on amazon to clean and polish my cbaileys wind shield.8oz for i believe 7$.they have 4 levels of polishing to getting rid scratches and swirls. used to use pledge but switched to NOVUS and can tell a difference,doesn;t leave a static feel to it.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”