Pay more attention, or install a switch?.....

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Pay more attention, or install a switch?.....

Postby tom84std » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm relocating from Texas to Colorado soon to open a small welding/fabrication shop. I made the 2000 mile trip last week to look around and talk to real estate people. Twice on the trip I rode for more than thirty miles, with my kickstand down. Not good! I'm pondering solutions. Should I install a switch and a lamp to alert me or should I slap myself and kick myself in the butt for not paying attention?

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Pay more attention, or install a switch?.....

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Install a switch that will kill the engine when you put it in gear with the kick stand down, this is what happened to me when I forgot to put mine up once. It didnt swing up out of the way and I couldnt turn left when the road did. All I could do was pick the place where I was going to stuff it in the ditch. Dont let this happen to you. :shock:
this is what happens when you leave the kickstand down
this is what happens when you leave the kickstand down

This cost me a set of forks, axel,rotors,fender and fairing . I rode away from this, but only just.After doing the repairs I wired in a switch to kill the engine when it was in gear with the kickstand down 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:54 pm

Wingadmin has a post on how he did his on the 1100 you should be able to do a search in the search box to find it. Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Yup, you can read it here: Installing a kickstand warning on my GL1100 - I made it flash a red light on my dash when the kickstand was down. You could just as easily wire it into a relay that killed the ignition - and if I were to do it again now, that's what I would do, because even with the red flashing light, I missed it a few times.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:37 pm

One more reason I have the poor-mans trike.No stand any more, been there my self,and for got to put it down or was that up :lol: :lol: :lol:

WA9FWT Phil

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:41 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Yup, you can read it here: Installing a kickstand warning on my GL1100 - I made it flash a red light on my dash when the kickstand was down. You could just as easily wire it into a relay that killed the ignition - and if I were to do it again now, that's what I would do, because even with the red flashing light, I missed it a few times.

Good thing you are on the ground,and no flying much any more ?

WA9FWT Phil

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:45 pm

RoadRogue wrote:Install a switch that will kill the engine when you put it in gear with the kick stand down, this is what happened to me when I forgot to put mine up once. It didnt swing up out of the way and I couldnt turn left when the road did. All I could do was pick the place where I was going to stuff it in the ditch. Dont let this happen to you. :shock:
2010-06-16 l oops.JPG

This cost me a set of forks, axel,rotors,fender and fairing . I rode away from this, but only just.After doing the repairs I wired in a switch to kill the engine when it was in gear with the kickstand down 8-)

O.M.G. Todd......Glad your still with us to tell that story.Thats whats nice about this site, so guys and gals can see what happens to us nuts out here.

WA9FWT Phil

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:50 pm

tom84std wrote:I'm relocating from Texas to Colorado soon to open a small welding/fabrication shop. I made the 2000 mile trip last week to look around and talk to real estate people. Twice on the trip I rode for more than thirty miles, with my kickstand down. Not good! I'm pondering solutions. Should I install a switch and a lamp to alert me or should I slap myself and kick myself in the butt for not paying attention?

Good luck too in that adventure of opening your shop...

WA9FWT Phil

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:25 am

Hi Phil,
I got lucky with this one . The ditch that I "parked" the bike in was full of soft clay mud and about 4 inches of water. The bike was actually pointing the other direction when we hit the ditch and the trailer ended up on top of the bike upside down. This pic was taken after a little work at getting it sorted out. I ended up a little farther down the ditch a little banged up but still walking and talking,the bike was buried in the mud up to the axels.
I had been riding bikes for more than 35 years when this happened to me. Theres a first for everything I guess. I am glad my 1500 has the switch built in from the factory. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Wings have enough wire already! Just give yourself a good beating to remember to wake the {¥«±¤¿ up and pay more attetion! :mrgreen:

1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Postby 1grouch2u » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Wow Tom, I've heard a few horror stories about people who have done that - one really messed the guy up bad! I think maybe I've developed a habit to check that it's up by weaving a little when I take off (I'm sure I look drunk anyway, but I'm not- just messed up from a stroke_) I did notice that I'd neglected to put up my kickstand the other day but couldn't have gone more than 10' before I noticed it (sliding....) and pulled it up with my toe- I'm glad you didn't get yourself in a real bind and are alright. Be careful man! (It did get your heart going a bit didn't it? Wow.)

Oh yeah, and DEFINITELY pay better attention. If you're distracted get your head back around your bike/what you're doing or there won't be no welding shop- careful brother, for real!

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:25 am

Been there , done that before I went to a trike and know what kind of terror it will give you when you realize whats going on. Tried to get into the habit of checking but sometimes you are distracted. Then comes that first corner and the pucker. I was lucky, got it up before ending up in the ditch. I am glad you survived and can learn from it. Take care my friend, ride safe.
Proud member Patriot Guard

metalsmith
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby metalsmith » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:49 pm

I haven't been bitten that bad!!! :o BUT...I don't know how many times I've forgotten the dang thing.

Now whenever I get on the bike I find myself saying "sit down, stand up" soon as my butt hits the seat it pops into my head. I'm still thinking I'll put on a warning light. I don't mind a bit of cheap insurance.

I will say that the couple of times I've gotten rolling pretty good before I got my 'reminder' the rubber toe of the stand has popped it right up......I have never been initiating a hard left turn at the time tho.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”