Can Am Spyder for the stiff legged?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
smack67
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Can Am Spyder for the stiff legged?

Postby smack67 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:51 pm

I know that Gold-wings rule but my sister-in-law has a much modified right leg. Her leg will not bend at the knee. We test fitted her on my 1998 Aspencade and she didn't fit on the back. My brother really wants to ride with our group but aside from getting a new wife he is having trouble finding something to accommodate her. It seems that folks price trikes way out of range and a sidecar isn't much better (not to mention the skill needed to operate it). They are thinking along the lines of the spyder but I thought I would ask someone who may actually know. So please a little help.

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Re: Can Am Spyder for the stiff legged?

Postby Sally » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Well you need to do what ever it takes to ride,, I test rode a spyder last month I was not impressed at all.It was 28 thousand to start and another 800 bucks for the kit for intercoms. Come on 28 K then pay for intercoms ya not.. Also I found the front fender seem to bounce or flop in the wind. I hated the electric shift that's all they let me ride. Oh yeah you can only take right turn on a test ride because of insurance so they say,If I'm given 28 K I going left too.. Sally :lol:

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:16 pm

Never been on a Spyder, but I see used for sale here for around $11-$13k depending. I would agree with Sally though....do anything to ride...

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:12 am

Passenger seating is virtually the same on all motorcycles/trikes.
There seems to be a lot of controversy on the reliability of the Can-Am touring model. Will not get into that here!
IMO, Your brother is faced w/finding a bike builder that can fabricate something for his wife to rest her stiff leg on. Might be difficult to come up with and not interfere w/the rider or affect cornering clearance on a 2 wheeler!
Trikes are expensive! I have one, out of necessity, and found it difficult to spend that kind of money on something that the basis of the unit(rear-end) was a junk yard purchase(supposedly completely rebuilt?) from some obscure vehicle out of production for several years! But, so far, so good!
A side car may be the best option. Set up properly, one is an easy ride!

smack67
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Postby smack67 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:23 am

tfdeputydawg wrote:Passenger seating is virtually the same on all motorcycles/trikes.
There seems to be a lot of controversy on the reliability of the Can-Am touring model. Will not get into that here!
IMO, Your brother is faced w/finding a bike builder that can fabricate something for his wife to rest her stiff leg on. Might be difficult to come up with and not interfere w/the rider or affect cornering clearance on a 2 wheeler!
Trikes are expensive! I have one, out of necessity, and found it difficult to spend that kind of money on something that the basis of the unit(rear-end) was a junk yard purchase(supposedly completely rebuilt?) from some obscure vehicle out of production for several years! But, so far, so good!
A side car may be the best option. Set up properly, one is an easy ride!

wow, thanks for the info.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Just a thought. As you can see, I added a kit for my Wing to please the wife.This sure added too our enjoyment
in riding, and I feel it is a lot safer too. I call it the poor mans trike, and even found it discounted by doing a little search. http://www.cyclestufftrikes.com/contact-us.html
You can add these kits to just about any bike,and I'm as happy as can be that I installed one on my bike.
I was out again this week end on a poker run, gone 11 hours, even drove in a hail storm....
WA9FWT Phil

Return to “Goldwing Chat”