Yesterday while getting gas......a

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Yesterday while getting gas......a

Postby bjatwood » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:34 am

Yesterday I was refueling the Wing at a BP in Omaha. A guy walked by the pump with a mullet and his pants halfway down, he was looking at my bike with his girlfriend/wife and 3 year old daughter in tow. They were dirty and looked to be maybe, homeless. Just passed, the guy turns around and says to his "lady" and I quote here "You know why guys ride Honda's, because they can't handle the power of a Harley" I stopped pumping gas and walked towards him and said, "like you know anything about bikes"! He laughs and just keeps on a walking...
I am not sure why this pissed me off so much, maybe the gall of this idiot.
I don't know.
Just thought I would share this "story" with my fellow Honda riders.

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Re: Yesterday while getting gas......a

Postby Pam » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:16 am

Well there are some folks who think that if it isn't a Harley is not a bike. Worked wuth a guy that would ride nothing but a Harley. He bought a new bike every year because he said it wasn't comfortable or he didn't like the feel of the bike. I have never ridden one but when they are around they are loud,and usually travel from coffie shop to coffie shop. Just my opinion :mrgreen:

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:34 am

The part that bothers me about your story is that they are breeding.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:45 am

cbx4evr wrote:The part that bothers me about your story is that they are breeding.

Yeah, and their attitudes breed with them. It is sad. That said, I rode Harleys for 47 years. They are loud IF you make em loud. They do not come from the factory that way. For those that can ride them, I now say, more power to them. The vibration got too bad for me. As far as power? Well that is entirely another matter. My GL1800 has far more power than my 1344 Harley did stock, but for only a little money, the Harley and the Honda are about equal but one must realize that the Harley weighed just over 600 pounds and the Honda is nearer a thousand. Gearing is another story. The Harley's gearing is like a tractor, while the Honda is like a car. I got nothing bad to say about any motorcycle. I love them all. Always did. I used to joke saying I would rather push my Harley than ride a Honda, but I rode my son's Kawi 750 Vulcan to get parts for my Harley one time, and it was a great ride.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

bjatwood
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:58 am

cbx4evr wrote:The part that bothers me about your story is that they are breeding.

This brought a smile to my face! LOL

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Postby Bamaeagle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:04 am

I think I would have told the guy.....At least I have a Bike to ride and I can ride farther on a tank of gas than a Harley. :lol:
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:43 pm

I could have come up with all kinds of answers for that guy, why I ride a honda. But to tell you the truth,I think I would have not said a thing.Who wants to start a conversation with that kind of a statement, and his attitude.

Two week ends ago, I rode with 105 bikes and was with them from 11AM until 6PM. I was only one of 3 hondas.
I meet several new friends,and of coarse we talked cycles.It was a very pleasent time with all. In fact I'm out again this week end on a poker run this time. Being only 50 miles north of Milwaukee, we sure see a lot of Harleys.It's a bit cool riding lately,but hope we don't see rain...

WA9FWT Phil

Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Postby Possum51 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:34 am

I've rode motorcycles off and on most of my life, like viking mostly harley's until I recently picked up my GL1200. I can say good and bad things about harley's and honda's, I like them both for different reasons, what matters it seems to me is that I'm in the wind on two wheels and the bike I ride is the bike I ride. As for the idiot and his statement, he's more than likely never even started a bike much less rode one he's just repeating what he heard someone else say.
Rick.....

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:51 am

bjatwood wrote:Yesterday I was refueling the Wing at a BP in Omaha. A guy walked by the pump with a mullet and his pants halfway down, he was looking at my bike with his girlfriend/wife and 3 year old daughter in tow. They were dirty and looked to be maybe, homeless. Just passed, the guy turns around and says to his "lady" and I quote here "You know why guys ride Honda's, because they can't handle the power of a Harley" I stopped pumping gas and walked towards him and said, "like you know anything about bikes"! He laughs and just keeps on a walking...
I am not sure why this pissed me off so much, maybe the gall of this idiot.
I don't know.
Just thought I would share this "story" with my fellow Honda riders.

Think of it this way ....... he really wanted a bike, any bike, but couldn't because of his wife/girlfriend and a 3 year old sprog in tow. He was the one that was jealous or green with envy.

Randy S
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade 1989 GL1500

Postby Randy S » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:52 pm

Must have been on the east side of Omaha. This wasn't about bikes, this was some loser who saw a guy with positive things going on in his life and had to try to push his buttons to get under his skin because the world naturally revolves around the loser. FORGET HIM! Get on your Wing and head north, not south. PM me and I'll head south some sunday. We'll get togrther at Pop & Docs in Decauter for lunch. Wife and I got back into riding this year after 23 years without a bike. The thing that suprised and amazed me was that 98 out of 100 riders in rural Nebraska stick out their hand and wave as they meet. It doesn't matter what they're on. All my friends who ride (Harleys) have done nothing but admire my Wing because its a 34 year old survivor. They all say it don't matter what your ridin, as long as your out there enjoying the ride! Remember, you're the one out there living the dream and he's the pants draggin loser with no life who's wishin his face was in the wind!

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:21 am

Wow, some people never think before they speak, somethings are better off not being said...On a brighter note I just made a trip back to KCK from SA. Tex. stopped in south Kansas at a rest stop and I took a break, I had a diet coke and sat in a rocking chair they had out front of a store, I was getting my gear on when a man 50ish walked up and asked me what year my bike was, I told him a 81, his mouth dropped open, really wow it's looks great he said then he asked where are you headed? I said to SA, Tex again his mouth dropped, I'm just thinking to myself, it ain't no big deal it's just down the road.. :lol: , he then told me he had a Harley sportster, I said cool man, but I think he was more impressed than I was.. :D Oh yeah before he left he said this, those are good bikes... :D

bjatwood
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:29 am

Randy S wrote:Must have been on the east side of Omaha. This wasn't about bikes, this was some loser who saw a guy with positive things going on in his life and had to try to push his buttons to get under his skin because the world naturally revolves around the loser. FORGET HIM! Get on your Wing and head north, not south. PM me and I'll head south some sunday. We'll get togrther at Pop & Docs in Decauter for lunch. Wife and I got back into riding this year after 23 years without a bike. The thing that suprised and amazed me was that 98 out of 100 riders in rural Nebraska stick out their hand and wave as they meet. It doesn't matter what they're on. All my friends who ride (Harleys) have done nothing but admire my Wing because its a 34 year old survivor. They all say it don't matter what your ridin, as long as your out there enjoying the ride! Remember, you're the one out there living the dream and he's the pants draggin loser with no life who's wishin his face was in the wind!

Yes Randy, It was on the east side of Omaha, 13th street. And I do believe he was just trying to get under my skin. Pop & Docs sounds like fun. Just a small ride north of Blair. I'll PM you soon.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:53 am

littlebeaver wrote:Wow, some people never think before they speak, somethings are better off not being said...On a brighter note I just made a trip back to KCK from SA. Tex. stopped in south Kansas at a rest stop and I took a break, I had a diet coke and sat in a rocking chair they had out front of a store, I was getting my gear on when a man 50ish walked up and asked me what year my bike was, I told him a 81, his mouth dropped open, really wow it's looks great he said then he asked where are you headed? I said to SA, Tex again his mouth dropped, I'm just thinking to myself, it ain't no big deal it's just down the road.. :lol: , he then told me he had a Harley sportster, I said cool man, but I think he was more impressed than I was.. :D Oh yeah before he left he said this, those are good bikes... :D

This reminded me of years ago. I drove with some guys and one had a hard tail Harley.We said we were going to drive over to a town 30 some miles down the road. His response was that far !! Can I drive your Honda, I said Ok, so we switched. When we got to that town, he didn't want to give my Honda back. Man , I was so glad to get my bike back.

WA9FWT Phil

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:56 pm

Many years ago before getting into GoldWings, I had a bike which had a kickstart and the jeans of the day were bellbottoms or flares, anyway away I went for a ride but had to fill up with petrol so pulled into the garage and put my right foot down only to realize that the kick start lever was now on the inside of my jeans and my leg did not want to touch the ground, over I went :oops: . I very soon learnt, like in the space of 2 seconds to check just where my jeans and kick start were when riding the bike ........ I hasten to add it never happened again. :lol: :lol:

Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Postby Possum51 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:35 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Wow, some people never think before they speak, somethings are better off not being said...On a brighter note I just made a trip back to KCK from SA. Tex. stopped in south Kansas at a rest stop and I took a break, I had a diet coke and sat in a rocking chair they had out front of a store, I was getting my gear on when a man 50ish walked up and asked me what year my bike was, I told him a 81, his mouth dropped open, really wow it's looks great he said then he asked where are you headed? I said to SA, Tex again his mouth dropped, I'm just thinking to myself, it ain't no big deal it's just down the road.. :lol: , he then told me he had a Harley sportster, I said cool man, but I think he was more impressed than I was.. :D Oh yeah before he left he said this, those are good bikes... :D

Had a similar type thing happen a while ago, I've own a few sportsters on the years, nice quick (and loud) around town short run scooters, love'em for what they are, on the other hand you couldn't hold a gun to my head and get me to make a long run on one, thats where the term "Iron Butt" came from I think :lol:
Rick.....

cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Postby cardinal » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm lucky in that when bottom dwellers attempt to insult me, I feel like they are trying to amuse me. I really don't believe they think anyone could take them serious.Some drunk sitting on the curb hugging his bottle of Ripple close to his chest, or some guy pushing all his worldly goods around in a stolen shopping cart, looks at me an slurs something stupid,....... I really do find it amusing.

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby mtn_boy1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:54 am

Went to Capitol City Bike Fest in Raleigh this past W/E. Did the Patriot Ride on Friday and then Bike Fest all W/E. It was sponsored by a HD dealer so, most of the bikes were harleys. Out of thousands of bikes, probably only 500 or so "metrics". Anyway, didn't get ANY negative comments about my Wing. In fact, with all those beautiful bikes, there were several people who took pics of MY bike. Two harley guys walked past my bike and one turned to the other, talking about my Wing, and said 'It ain't what I chose to ride but damn that's a nice bike'. What I really loved was the look of longing in most of the women's eyes when they walked by (for the bike not me) LOL. I have NEVER been made feel uncomfortable with any group when we're riding. In fact it's always been just the opposite. One new friend I made was talking to me and said 'Now I feel kinda guilty cause I have a sticker that says "I'd rather push a Harley than ride a Honda" '. I told him that was OK cause I had one that says "I ride too far, too fast, and too often to ride a Harley". We both had a great laugh about it.
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

bjatwood
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:21 am

mtn_boy1 wrote:"I ride too far, too fast, and too often to ride a Harley"

That's a awesome "statement" I like it, and will use it! :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:19 am

I always have people coming over to look at my bike, ask questions, etc...I've never had a negative comment from anyone. I think anyone who appreciates bikes, can appreciate ANY bike. I can look at a custom chopper, and while I'd never in a million years buy/ride one, I can appreciate the workmanship, the mechanics, etc.

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:18 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I always have people coming over to look at my bike, ask questions, etc...I've never had a negative comment from anyone. I think anyone who appreciates bikes, can appreciate ANY bike. I can look at a custom chopper, and while I'd never in a million years buy/ride one, I can appreciate the workmanship, the mechanics, etc.

I agree 100%. A negative comment, or point of view is nothing but ones personal opinion, and you can't legitamize yours by tearing down someones elses. Just my .02

Robert
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

mooseye
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 SE Red

Postby mooseye » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:06 pm

I love the ride of my '90, but.
It is just a little heavy for me. I can handle it fine once moving but it is just too big. I really hate to, but am thinking of putting it up for sale. I figure early spring would be my best bet as for a good price.
I haven't ridden it but once since I got a sportster. It was like going to a trail bike. And there are many people that will argue about the distance riding on a sporty too. I don't care to ride it over a couple hundred at a sitting myself.
Another thing is that the gl needs tires and that is over half a $k.
I have had to pick it up a few times too. whew!
And now I have a '76 shovel too so something has to go.
I don't really care for cross country riding so the sportster is a blast around close. My wife won't ride with me so the wing is kind of going to waste.

jgm8806
Motorcycle: 1981 Goldwing GL 1100

Postby jgm8806 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:13 pm

I would have atleast told him, atleast Im out there riding instead of walking ........(I have owned both ....)
1987 Aspencade, one owner, 17000 original miles.

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Well I really don't care what any one rides just as long as they ride. I have a friend we always rode together 25 times a summer. Now he has a HD and new friends we no longer ride. Work with him daily. I don't know dude seems to be all about leathers half helmets and image DAMN SHAME...By the way I seen a HD rider at a gas pump oh a year or two ago told him he had a nice bike he looked at me and said I quote " I ride this because I have a small pe**s. I didn't know weather to s**t or go blind. But it was funny....Sally :lol:

feetup
Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Postby feetup » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:51 pm

I have been wondering, often out loud what the reason is behind the huge popularity of the HD lately.
I understand the love for the cruiser style machine but the attitude that if it isn't a Harley it doesn't count baffles me. Even the argument that they are American made has faltered with Honda made suspension and off shore fasteners.
I find that there is a faction of HD affectionatos that are just plain good folks, but also find that some are just plain loud, in your face, "look at me" kind of people. They ride a Harley to be different yet they are so much alike that they might as well be wearing uniforms. ( Actually, I guess they do at that!)
I've owned two HDs (I'm a slow learner) but found the technology ancient, the ride poor, the brakes worse, and if I wanted that kind of a ride I should not be spending huge dollars for a new machine. I have an ancient Norton that does all that just as well and doesn't have to make excuses for it.
I find most of the HD's I see really attractive, and I can't help admiring them when I look close, (although they are starting to look all the same to me) but there are so many superb motorcycles to choose from why do the majority think that Milwaukee Iron is the ultimate.

Henry David Thoreau once said: "the ultimate symbol of decadence is the triumph of style over content" In other words, shoes that look good but hurt your feet. The Harley through no fault of it's own seems to have become such a symbol.

jgm8806
Motorcycle: 1981 Goldwing GL 1100

Postby jgm8806 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:33 pm

I have to also agree with your opinion....I started riding a harley in 1975.....and have owned both Harleys and Hondas and the majority of people i have met riding have said "it doesnt matter what you ride, Just as long as you are out riding"....And Ive held that belief all my years of riding up to today.....

1987 Aspencade, one owner, 17000 original miles.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”